Milk - Good or Bad?

In some articals on T Nation I have read that milk is a good thing to include in your diet, in other places I have read that dairy in general should be kept to a minimum.

I have been a fat bloke and recently lost my excess blubber. My current goal is to maintain (or better yet reduce) my BF% and add some lean mass and I drink about a pint of semi skimmed milk a day.

If I thought it could be detrimental to what I am trying to achieve I would stop drinking it.

Anyone have an opinion?

This topic comes up about once a month. I suggest doing a search to see the consensus. The short answer: drink milk and do squats.

jpb

test and measure

milk is really up to the individual but if your reducing bf then probably cut it out.

Thanks jpb.
I was just asking because I have read “drink milk do squats” a lot on the site, but I have also read about it spiking insulin and problems with tollerance.

I understand insulin spikes are not a good thing - especially for former fatties - so I just wondered from that point of view.

Don’t worry - I am squatting :slight_smile:

From personal experience, I have found that milk gives me gastrointestinal distress and causes me to break out with acne.

I would strongly recommend picking up a copy of “The Raw Truth About Milk” (formerly The Milk Book) by William Campbell Douglass II, MD.

In this book, the author reveals the modern processes that are supposed to make milk “safer” to drink, yet end up poisoning us in the end. Then again, I’m not sure how milk is processed before it is sold in England. Raw milk is what should be consumed.

Good luck in making your decision and do plenty of good research before you do so.

• insulin spikes outside of PWO
  • aggravating food sensitivities/allergies and lactose intolerance

both of these are not good for body composition

[quote]cpwelch wrote:
Thanks jpb.
I was just asking because I have read “drink milk do squats” a lot on the site, but I have also read about it spiking insulin and problems with tollerance.

I understand insulin spikes are not a good thing - especially for former fatties - so I just wondered from that point of view.

Don’t worry - I am squatting :slight_smile:
[/quote]

As long as you’re squatting, your cool :slight_smile:

jpb

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
test and measure

milk is really up to the individual but if your reducing bf then probably cut it out. [/quote]

x2

To the OP: How does milk affect you? Answering this question lead you in the right direction.

I drink a gallon a day and have been for the past 3 months. Does it spike my insulin when I drink it? Maybe, but I have not gained excess fat from it. In fact, I have gained 10lb of what I am sure is LEAN.

Basically, if your wanting to gain some lean mass, drink the milk. If you are trying to loose bodyfat, don’t drink the milk. Im going to go ahead and let you know that there is a slim to none chance you will gain significant muscle while trying to loose bodyfat. You need a calorie surplus to do that. Anyways my advice is:

SQUATS AND MILK!!!

DOOOOO IT!!! DOOOOOOOOO IIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!

[quote]cpwelch wrote:
In some articals on T Nation I have read that milk is a good thing to include in your diet, in other places I have read that dairy in general should be kept to a minimum.

I have been a fat bloke and recently lost my excess blubber. My current goal is to maintain (or better yet reduce) my BF% and add some lean mass and I drink about a pint of semi skimmed milk a day.

If I thought it could be detrimental to what I am trying to achieve I would stop drinking it.

Anyone have an opinion?[/quote]

Yeah. You’re fat because you’ve consumed more calories than you’ve burned for an extended period of time, not because you’ve consumed milk. You’re a northern European, which means you’re probably lactose tolerant.

If you want to lose weight, cut your daily calories by 300-500 until the pounds start coming off. Drink your milk and do your squats.

Of course, this advice has been repeated time and time again on this forum by numerous people besides myself, and we still have the same milk paranoia for some bizarre reason.

Thanks for all the responses.
I don’t think milk has any negative effects on me (bloating, gas etc) and I account for it in my diet so I’m going to carry on drinking it.
Milk and squats!

2 gallons a day. do it.

Yeah I drink around a half gallon a day, don’t have any problems at all. It works for me, not to say it won’t work for everyone.

I’ve just started drinking a liter of 2% milk with my protein shake after every workout. I get a bit of stomach gas, but it’s not unbearable.
Aside from the gas, I think milk is great way to get some protein and calories- 40 grams of protein and 550 calories for $2.50? Hecks yeah!

[quote]Vegg wrote:
I’ve just started drinking a liter of 2% milk with my protein shake after every workout. I get a bit of stomach gas, but it’s not unbearable.

Aside from the gas, I think milk is great way to get some protein and calories- 40 grams of protein and 550 calories for $2.50? Hecks yeah![/quote]

Holy shit, and I though the $1 here in Sweden was bad.

You get a liter of milk for $1? That’s cheaper than bottled water is in Canada…

I personally LOVE milk but…

http://www.modernforager.com/blog/2008/05/08/milk-does-it-do-a-body-good-part-1-calcium-and-osteoporosis/

milk does a body good…

Milk is good for gaining weight and strength,not for losing fat.The problem with most milk products is that they are loaded with preservatives and chemicals to prolong their shelf life.I dont buy any brand that lasts more than 7 days without going bad.

I have enjoyed milk most of my life, in fact it is my favourite beverage. This year, I have had the opportunity to go raw. Raw milk is by far the best tasting thing in the world and it is one of the best protein supplements a Man can get.

I usually have a cup or two a day. In the morning I blend in two raw eggs and some of the protein powder available on this site.

[photo]18038[/photo]