Milk, Does It Do MY Body Good?

I’m surprised after poking about on this site for well over a year now that there is not much to be said about milk. Since I have an endless supply of skim milk, it has become a staple of my diet, but I do have a few unanswered Q’s I figured someone could help me out with.

1). Since my milk has 16g pro, 0g fat, and 22g sugar per 16oz, when would be the best time to drink it, or more specifically would it be ok to drink past 7 assuming bedtime is 10-11ish?

2). Is there a limit I should drink seeing as how it has 22g sugar per 16oz., because I drink now roughly 96oz daily, about 16oz per meal, 6 meals.

3). Is the sugar in milk to be considered any different than that of other foods since it’s not processed or added?

Any reply would be appreciated.

BTW: 187lbs, 10-12% bf, 21 years old, 4 year training, 6 day split- 1 day off

My goals are to lean out while maintaining strength and relative weight (i dont want to end up under 180lbs.) I came from 205 in Jan. and after the past 7 weeks dieting lost 8 lbs. and ~3% bf.

milk is good in the morning as the sugars are good to start ur morning with a spike in some cereal and also sugars are sugars… if u have sugar from frosting its still sugar if you get it from fruits / whole foods sugar is going to be sugar my man no matter what… incorporating milk is easy cals and protein its not something that will hurt you… i know its got some sugars but just try to limit … make sure u still consume a good amount of water… that is very vital i see u have a high protein diet so keep the fluids going

Milk proteins are of tremendous quality. However, you should be judicious in terms of consumption, as milk releases a tidal wave of insulin (despite having a relatively small effect on blood-sugar).

You’ll probably be interested to read this:
http://atlanticpedaler.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=337&Itemid=107

“Milk is for babies when you grow up you should drink beer.”

Many a BIG powerful physique have been built with the inclusion of milk Yes its good

Phill

[quote]skipdoo940 wrote:
I’m surprised after poking about on this site for well over a year now that there is not much to be said about milk. [/quote]

Squats and milk.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Many a BIG powerful physique have been built with the inclusion of milk Yes its good

Phill[/quote]

Agreed. A gallon of milk/day was in no small part responsible for much of the size and strength I put on in my past decade of lifting.

Unless you’re specifically focusing on fat loss/dieting, I see no reason not to include milk.

I might suggest to keep it away from the later evening hours, but other than that, drink on.

Well, i’ll just repeat what i said in another thread about milk…my 2 cents.

Milk is a basically a super-concentrated weight gainer.

The purpose of it is to make baby cows grow into big cows as fast as possible.
Protein, sugar and fat. The recipe for big.

If the idea of being a big strong cow is in sync with your current body composition goals, then drink as much as you want.

Basically:
Trimming down? No Milk.
Bulking up? Drink Milk.

[quote]skipdoo940 wrote:
I’m surprised after poking about on this site for well over a year now that there is not much to be said about milk. Since I have an endless supply of skim milk, it has become a staple of my diet, but I do have a few unanswered Q’s I figured someone could help me out with.
[/quote]

My goodness. it seems like in the short time I have been on T-Nation there have been several major debates about Milk…raw vs pasteurized, paleo vs mass-consumption, etc.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

Agreed. A gallon of milk/day was in no small part responsible for much of the size and strength I put on in my past decade of lifting.

Unless you’re specifically focusing on fat loss/dieting, I see no reason not to include milk.

I might suggest to keep it away from the later evening hours, but other than that, drink on.[/quote]

Even if you’re cutting, you can get away with consuming milk as part of your pre/post-workout drink.

All carbs except fructose and some other monosaccharides are broken down to glucose before they are utilized by the body. In that sense, sugar is sugar and in fact all carbohydrates are sugar.

What matters most, in the end, is how much of it you consume over the course of a day. Not whether it’s “added”/“processed” or “natural”.

That being said, the sugar in milk is a disaccharide that is composed of glucose and galactose molecules. Both have important functions in the body, and as such milk is actually a better carb source than fruits, which can contain a lot of less useful fructose.

Ordinary table sugar (sucrose) is 50% fructose, and of course the high fructose corn syrup in your Coke is even higher (55% I think).

Milk contains only half as much sugar as unsweetened orange juice. And as others have mentioned, the proteins in milk are perfect for our purposes. That’s why they’re used for protein powders!

Personally, I only drink whole milk. Even when I was following a low-carb diet to lose some fat, I kept drinking whole milk.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
“Milk is for babies when you grow up you should drink beer.” [/quote]

HAHA I recognise the quote Hagar but the Oak also said he would tell his competitors misinformation on puropse. Milk is for babies, real men drink beer!

Thank you all for your replies men, your insignt is great.

I have a few more questions non milk relating so I’ll post them in their respective forums, I appreciate it guys.

Where does lactose-free skim milk fit in the picture? Just writing that makes me think i may well just add water…

[quote]Hagar wrote:
“Milk is for babies when you grow up you should drink beer.” [/quote]

LOL. When Arnold was bulking, he drank milk. That line was a joke. Apolly-loggies.