Milk Does a Body Good?

So I just heard this nutritional report that states you should stay away form milk as it makes you bloated. Anybody know about this and if we are not supposed to use milk then how am i going to mix my shakes. Water just doesn’t cut it. I also heard bananas are not so hot for you either. That banana’s make you constipated.

I would love to have some of the authors on T-Nation to comment on this…

Horseshit. Unless you have some sort of allergy, or lactose intolerance, there is nothing wrong with dairy products.

DJ

Milk has a lot of calories, and it’s a fairly simple carb so it’s absorbed quickly. That said, unless you’re lactose intolerant, there is no reason you couldn’t use it in moderation at the right times.

“Makes you bloated.” Dude, everything you eat makes you feel bloated, as long as you eat enough of it. The trick is to consume in portions below the bloating threshold. What is more, drawing the conclusion “you should stay away from milk” for that reason is retarded.

Bananas are fine. They won’t make you constipated. They bind feces into a more solid mass, yes, but that doesn’t mean stay away. It means consume in moderation and keep other points of your diet in check.

Though lactose is a disaccharide, skim and whole milk are listed as 32 and 30, respectively, on the glycemic index. These are well within the “Low GI” categorization. This means slow digestion.

Perhaps the mods should “sticky” one of these milk threads sometime soon, just so we don’t have to keep seeing them come up every three weeks.

Same as above. Bananas are a tad sugary, so it’s best to save them after a training session. If you get constipated from eating a single banana, or even two, in one day I’d say you have other issues. :slight_smile:

Most so-called “reports” from newspapers or your local TV media source are pure sensationalism and are full of FUD (Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt).

In other words: don’t worry about it, unless you notice obvious problems from eating these particular foods.

I don’t drink milk anymore because I have issues drinking even small amounts.But for someone that handles it fine milk is an easy way to add easy calories and some extra protien.

I’ve been drinking a gallon a day for a year, never been stronger.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
I’ve been drinking a gallon a day for a year, never been stronger.[/quote]

How has your body comp been affected?

I’m pretty sure there are some articles floating around out there saying that osteoporosis is becoming a problem in younger people these days because of a LACK of milk in their diet due to higher soft drink intake. Milk is essential for calcium and healthy bone growth. Plus, there is low carb low/non fat milk, and your typical non-fat, low fat and skim milk that has lower calories and lower fat content. Unless you are lactose intolerant and can’t digestively handle milk, there is no reason to be scared of it. Whoever said milk is bad for you probably chugs soda and eats big macs all day like a fucking fat ass retard. And yes bananas CAN make you constipates, but honestly, I truly don’t believe that you would be eating enough to actually make you constipated, and if you do, you definitely have a low fiber intake which in itself can be a problem.

Vag tickler, OUT

Milk is good.

There!

It says right there that milk is good.

Now what are you gonna do?

Milk is high and sugar, and is fine to drink if your bulking and not lactose intolerant. I used to drink a ton of it but have become lactose intolerant over the past couple years. I feel much better in many areas as a result of not drinking it. Cutting and alot of milk are not possible.

“I read it on the internet, so it MUST BE TRUE!”-Craig Ferguson
“Milk is for babies”-Arnold Schwarzenegger
“Heaven is…the land of milk and honey.”
=either the Bible or Ronnie James Dio, not sure.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:

Perhaps the mods should “sticky” one of these milk threads sometime soon, just so we don’t have to keep seeing them come up every three weeks.[/quote]

2nded… Is everyone really THIS scared of milk?

Show me an easier way to add good calories when already consuming massive amount of food! add 8-16 glass of milk with a couple meals can help make big gains!

People need to learn to be more tolerant of lactose.

Raw Milk is pretty great.

[quote]MikeA. wrote:
evansmi wrote:
I’ve been drinking a gallon a day for a year, never been stronger.

How has your body comp been affected?[/quote]

Its gone up to about 15% from about 10%, but I’d blame that less on the milk individually and more on the extremely dirty bulk as a whole. Still, 1 year ago my squat max was 185, now its 355.