Milk as Intra Workout Nutrition?

How well would milk work (just drinking at they gym) as intra workout nutrition?
I would probably eat a banana as well . I have tried this at home . I always had good workouts while drinking coffee with milk. Unfortunately I no longer have a powercage at home.

[quote]decimation wrote:
How well would milk work (just drinking at they gym) as intra workout nutrition?
I would probably eat a banana as well . I have tried this at home . I always had good workouts while drinking coffee with milk. Unfortunately I no longer have a powercage at home.[/quote]

Quite possibly terrible. Ever seen curdled milk?

As a post workout chocolate whole milk works in a pinch, but I wouldn’t try drinking milk while training. That’s asking for issues.

Who knows, you might start the next fitness fad.

Thanks . Well I tried it today. It worked sought of ok but I ended buying a protein shake from the machine at the gym. I bought a tub of protein shake too .

I was reading TC Article today on Intra-Workout nutrition ,so I thought I would try it. The milk didn’t last long so there is no chance of it curdling.

At home though I always had coffee while doing my squats or bench. That worked quite well. On a side-note I saw Maria Sharapova eating a wafer cake with icing at Wimbledon while playing tennis.

no. even just loading up on a ton of water would be more beneficial. Bcaas or ideally Plazma would be far superior

I checked my protein shake has BCCAs too. I tried sipping a protein shake during my workout . It went quite well and I had more energy. I put in 5g of Creatine Monohydrate too. One portion doesn’t really seem enough.

I am thinking of giving up coffee and just using during workouts cold of course.

I’ve had a half gallon of 1 percent preworkout w/ out issues.

of course drinking milk is fine. Why wouldn’t it be?

It’s fine as general nutrition, but isn’t in any way optimized as workout nutrition. The protein content is principally (about 80%) casein, which is slow-absorbing. The form of provided carbohydrates is lactose, which again really isn’t optimized for workout nutrition, being (by the time it’s absorbed) only 50% glucose and the other 50% galactose, which isn’t directly utilizable by muscle but must first be converted by the liver.)

The second isn’t a big issue, just not optimized, and it’s better than sucrose anyway. The first however could make a noticeable difference version a whey or even moreso a hydrolysate.

If however your situation is that you’re in a position to make fast gains without particular optimization, then that can happen regardless and the milk may be fine.

However if anything it would be more effective to have loaded up hours before the workout rather than relying on delivery at time of workout, due to the slow absorption of casein.

I’m always minded of the first decent gym I ever trained at (way back in 1989-1990). One guy there used to sip on milk (may have been semi-skimmed, I can’t quite remember). He was also against any drug use and generally an affable, friendly, helpful guy. Oh, and did I mention he was also the biggest, strongest guy in there by a country mile!

its a little bit of protein with a lot of water and lactose