Milk and Kidney Stones

Can drinking too much milk give you kidney stones? My friend said it could, due to a calcium buildup or something like that.

Kidney stones can be caused by excess calcium that is not excreted in the urine. That being said, calcium from dairy products can actually decrease the occurance of kidney stones, but calcium ingested from supplemental calcium such as multivitamins, calcium supplements, etc., can increase their occurance. In addition, drinking sports drinks unecessarily, which contain a high-electrolyte content, (Gatorade, etc) can also increase the occurance of kidney stones.

Cool thanks. I’ve been drinking about a gallon a day for the past couple of months and I thought I might have a kidney stone so I thought the milk might have been the cause.

[quote]Peter Noto wrote:
Cool thanks. I’ve been drinking about a gallon a day for the past couple of months and I thought I might have a kidney stone so I thought the milk might have been the cause. [/quote]

If you had a kidney stone, you would be in excruciating pain, so its doubtful that you have one. On a side note, I hope with that much milk, you’re drinking at least half a gallon of water a day. If I were you, I would take 2-4 weeks and cut my milk intake in half, and double my water intake.

I’ve been drinking half gallon of milk and half a gallon of water a day for years.

@The Greek, I didn’t have one, but I thought I may have one. There was pain shooting down from the upper part of my crotch down to the base of the uhh, shaft haha. I’ve never had a kidney stone so I wasn’t’ sure what to expect (where the pain would be, etc.) So I could have just have been being a pussy. But yea I drink about 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon of water per day.

Unfortunately, I can’t really drink less milk right now, I’m struggling to get in 4500 - 5500 calories a day as it is. I know for some people it isn’t that hard, but I just don’t know what to make, so I drink a shit ton of milk with each meal to compensate.

EDIT: How the hell do you quote people?

[quote]Peter Noto wrote:
@The Greek, I didn’t have one, but I thought I may have one. There was pain shooting down from the upper part of my crotch down to the base of the uhh, shaft haha. I’ve never had a kidney stone so I wasn’t’ sure what to expect (where the pain would be, etc.) So I could have just have been being a pussy. But yea I drink about 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon of water per day.

Unfortunately, I can’t really drink less milk right now, I’m struggling to get in 4500 - 5500 calories a day as it is. I know for some people it isn’t that hard, but I just don’t know what to make, so I drink a shit ton of milk with each meal to compensate.

EDIT: How the hell do you quote people?[/quote]

Lol there’s a quote button in the lower right hand corner of each post. What kind of milk are you drinking? Whole? Skim? 2%?

Oh I see it now hurhur. Just whole milk. Why, does it make a difference?

[quote]Peter Noto wrote:
Oh I see it now hurhur. Just whole milk. Why, does it make a difference? [/quote]

It shouldn’t for kidney stones, but apparently skim milk can increase prostate cancer in men.

From what I have read, if you are fairly active, drink plenty of water and take a magnesium supplement daily your odds of getting a stone are extremely low. Magnesium and B6 are good at preventing stones.

I’ve passed a couple stones.

The doctor says they mine when calcium isn’t excreted and as more calcium and other minerals travel through the kidneys they accumulate and form the stone. Evidently my stone showed a high level of creatinine as well, a byproduct of creatine, unfortunately.

There isn’t a single cause for them and you have to be genetically predisposed but as mentioned magnesium is helpful in preventing calcium based stones or at least slowing their growth.

The doc told me to drink warm water with lemon juice in the morning too, some of the acids in the lemon dissolve the stone. He said only lemon though, it isn’t the citrus acid, something specific to lemons but I can’t remember the name.

You could have kidneys full of them and not know it until they “drop” and try to pass through the urinary tract. But when they do it is hell and the first time can be pretty scary.

If you are concerned, you can google kidney stone prevention diets. If you do pass one, have it analyzed and the doctor can give more specific instruction once he knows specifically what is causing yours.