Milk And Fat Loss

I’ve been drinking a glass of milk each day while cutting with my protein / carb meals .

The reason why I am drinking milk is because of the high calcium effect on fat loss. There is a direct relationship between the two.

Even though I drink milk with no fat content, the sugars worry me a bit.

Someone have experience with milk and fat loss?

thanks!

From what I’ve seen around here, it is a personal thing. Some people have trouble dropping fat while consuming dairy products, while others don’t notice anything.

If it works for you, then go for it. You can also try various types of milk, such as a low carb version if it is available where you are.

If you hit a plateau, drop the milk products while keeping the calories in your target range and see if you start making progress again. Then you’ll know for sure.

Great reply, thanks!

hahaha there aren’t any low carb products here where i live in south america, but it would be great to have them.

Calcium has a great effect on fat loss, too bad the best absorption rates are only found in dairy products.

Anyone else have experience with cutting and milk?

I consume some high protein and calcium, low fat dairy products in the morning. since the calcium can help you to lose that fat, a low-moderate dairy diet is the best.

Anyway, the best choices are yogurt, low fat cheese (NOT cottage cheese), milk protein powder and whey protein powder (Still, it’s dairy and has a lot of calcium). Avoid regular milk and fatty dairy.

Why no CC?

well, I noticed that people do better if they’re cut the cottage cheese, Although it has some good quality casein protein. It’s a high sodium, high II and actually low calcium product. However, Casein or a milk protein blend powders are great. I really like the LC Grow! as a milk protein source.

There’s always calcium supplement…

Tungsten, Dr. Zemel said that calcium from dairy, is more effective than calcium supplements. So again, all you need to do is consume the right dairy in the right amounts and at the right times. that’s all.

I agree dairy products are a much better choice of calcium. While calcium supplements may have a high dosage on the label, much of the content is not readily absorbed by the body. Also check the calcium content of your protein supplements, as many forms of protein supps are derived from milk and contain high levels of calcium which generally have a higher bioavailability than calcium supplements.

I have also read that milk aids in fat loss. If you go to PubMed.com and type in dairy and fat loss into the search engine, you’ll get a bunch of studies showing this. If you’re worried about the sugar content, do what I do and consume your milk pre or post workout, since, incidentally milk has a very high insulin index and this would have a positive effect around training time.

thats my theory anyway.

man it never ceases to amaze me that people still think that dairy is the best form of absorbable calcium. It just goes to show you that years of ads and paid endorsements will pretty much make people believe anything without question—just look at the pharmaceutical companies the are the kings of that. Sorry to hijack but its just kinda sad. Merv was right about the Pubmed thing on your actual question about fat loss though.

[quote]storey420 wrote:
man it never ceases to amaze me that people still think that dairy is the best form of absorbable calcium. It just goes to show you that years of ads and paid endorsements will pretty much make people believe anything without question—just look at the pharmaceutical companies the are the kings of that. Sorry to hijack but its just kinda sad. Merv was right about the Pubmed thing on your actual question about fat loss though.[/quote]

What’s the best form of absorbable calcium?

Fast&Furious-

i was kind of being sarcastic over calcium supplement. Actually I do have Ca supplement in the form of calcium glycinate aka amino acid chelate. I don’t know if that’s the good stuff. I must have bought it for a reason but I can’t remember. I always do researches first before i buy anything but this one, i can’t recall…

Everyone else-

Ever heard of micellar casein? It’s the best kind of casein on the market with exceptionally high Ca content ( 80% of Daily value per serving). about 11 bucks per pound. Compare that to milk…

Calcium is the most commonly taken mineral supplement, and calcium supplements come in scores of different forms. But only one is actually a food extract and that is calcium hydroxyapatite. This is the form of calcium that naturally occurs in bone. Low temperature processing techniques are used to extract microcrystalline hydroxyapatite concentrate (MCHC) from raw bone?the best products utilize MCHC from free-range, pesticide-free New Zealand cattle. MCHC is a complex crystalline compound composed of calcium (about 24 percent), phosphorous, delicate organic factors (thus the importance of low-temperature processing), protein matrix and the full spectrum of minerals that naturally comprise healthy bone. Look for a calcium supplement in which the only source of calcium is MCHC. Many supplements say “MCHC” or “calcium hydroxyapatite” on the label, but when you read the ingredients carefully you discover that a secondary source of calcium, typically dicalcium phosphate?an inexpensive, poorly absorbed form of calcium?contributes an unstated percentage of the calcium to the supplement.

Many calcium formulas include magnesium; well-absorbed forms include magnesium aspartate, magnesium glycinate and magnesium oxide. Many other minerals may be complexed as aspartates or picolinates, which generally provide excellent absorption.

Hey Tungsten,

Well kudos to your research cause your info on the MCH clacium is dead on. Now here goes the firestorm. The most absorbable form of calcium out there is GOOD coral calcium. Coral calcium, when you get it in the correct species is not only in a perfect calcium/magnesium ratio 2:1 but it is highly ionized, meaning that you don’t need to expend your own hcl to convert it into a usable form.

Before the flames come, yes there is a lot of bullshit coral products out there with the wrong species, contaminated, wrong ratio, etc. but there are some reputable companies out there. Anyone that still believes the whole dairy is the best way to get calcium debate should seriously question why is it that we are the largest consumers of dairy on the planet yet we have the greatest incidence of osteoporosis as well.

[quote]storey420 wrote:
The most absorbable form of calcium out there is GOOD coral calcium.[/quote]

That doesn’t make it the best. Among other things, coral calcium is not kosher, so Jewish lifters like myself shouldn’t be taking it.

I would suspect it has something to do with the fact that the Asian countries which approach our population levels also have a high degree of lactose intolerance.

Just a guess.

Trap builder, you are right in that it does have a lot of sugars. Its definately not a great thing to be drinking during cutting, but if everything else is in order then you should still be alright.

A good form of calcium is traditionally canned salmon. The bones are incredibly soft, almost powdery, and absorb very well.

I agree with you darklock. It is the best as far as supplementation. As far as the kosher thing I get varying opinions on that from different rabbis and practitioners that are of that faith. As far as food there is more absorbable calcium in veggies like broccoli and some other leafy greens than proceesed dairy products. The best “dairy” product as far as calcium would be keifer. Once the probiotics in keifer have eaten up all the other crap in milk it makes it a very good choice as a healthly food.