T Nation

Milk and Acne Update

Well its been 2 or so weeks since my last post about the affects of milk and acne.I cut out all milk from my diet and low and behold almost all of my acne has cleared up,im kinda bummed because i love milk with my protein skakes and on my cerial but my skin is more important to me than my taste buds so im just giving up the moo juice.
Thought id let u guys know just incase u were getting back and shoulder acne and didnt know why,try giving up the moo juice and see how u go.
Peace
HHH

Stay strong bro!

Jay-B

HHH,
Did you cut out all dairy or just milk?

[quote]splkast wrote:
HHH,
Did you cut out all dairy or just milk?[/quote]

I dont really have that much dairy apart from milk so u could say that the only dairy i was having was milk,id hate to see what other dairy would do to my skin :frowning:

Peace
HHH

I notice a huge difference in my skin when I don’t eat dairy, too.

Besides the skin, I also get a ton of mucouse in the back of my throat when I occasionally splurge on a bowl of cereal. I really don’t drink milk at all but cheese is ok for me. Yogurt and cottege chees ore ok too. Milk is the worst culprit.

Vegita ~ Prince of all Sayajins

I also get a ton of mucous forming when I drink milk but I love the taste way too much to give it up… Watery protein shakes just aren’t the same. Besides there’s plenty of extra calories when you go through a gallon in 2-3 days.

Did you try organic milks? I find I can’t drink milk without first eating a few tablespoons of organic live culture yogurt. It helps a great deal.

The growth hormone in non-organic milk could be causing the back acne.

R-S

[quote]raoulsam wrote:
Did you try organic milks? I find I can’t drink milk without first eating a few tablespoons of organic live culture yogurt. It helps a great deal.

The growth hormone in non-organic milk could be causing the back acne.

R-S[/quote]

Nah have not tried organic milk,just good ol skim milk and sometimes skim milk powder.
Anyone know of what i could u for a substitute for milk in my chocolate protein shakes,chocolate water just tastes like ass and putting in orange juice is making my skin crawl YUK :frowning:

Peace
HHH

I’ve got a two year old that is allergic to dairy products (not lactose intolerant, but a true food allergy) so we’ve removed most dairy from the house. We tried soy milk for a little while and found out that’s not really too good for males either. All of that said, rice milk doesn’t make a bad chocolate shake. Not much protien but a good deal of carbs. If you look for it in your grocery store, it’s not with the regular refrigerated foods, but usually with the canned goods and stuff. The brand my store carries comes in a box that must be refrigerated after it’s been opened.

I would love to hear more feedback from more people on this. Here is my experience. When I cut out milk my acne lessens, especially on back and shoulders. Even organic milk seemingly causes more outbreaks. I was very aware of other factors such as showers, T-boosting supplements and workouts, sweating, water intake, etc. To clarify and experiment for myself I now am going to remove all dairy products such as yogurt, cottage cheese and cheese. I love yogurt, cheese and cottage cheese AND find them very useful(convenient). Depending on the results I may give up dairy but would hate to.
I am now starting to suspect that my teen acne was not all due to hormones, but also possibly due to excess crap carbs, too much sugar AND huge dairy intake. I consumed a lot of dairy especially milk in my teen years. Note I am not lactose intolerent. Nor am I claiming dairy/milk is the sole cause of my acne. But to the extent that it exacerbates it would be very useful knowledge for me. Some people may drink milk and it does not affect their skin. Everyone is different. I am looking for input from all. Please comment from experience not just opinions or anti-milk people. Thanks, I find threads like this very helpful. May we all find the knowledge we need. Peace

Milk is a wonderful mucus inducer. I couldn’t breathe through my nose properly till I was 20, on the suggestion of my doctor that it may help. Low and behold I could breathe freely though my nose for the first time in my life. It was quite the shock for me that milk had been causing this problem.

With regards to acne, going off milk may have helped a little in that department as well although it was nothing dramatic. I did miss my morning cereal for while after that though. :slight_smile:

Check out this website: www.milksucks.com/zits.html

I am definately sensitive to dairy and find my skin breaks out if I eat cheese or drink milk. Do you guys have a reaction to protein shakes? Casein and Whey are dairy derivatives, so it would make sense that they could also aggravate acne. I find I can tolerate whey, but not Casein.

Do you guys think this related to a food allergy or digestion issues? I noticed Berardi said he adds a veggie green supplement to his Grow! shakes when he is on the road to aid in digestion. I was thinking of giving this a try to see if I can tolerate the Casein. It sucks because the benefits of consuming a slow absorbing protein such as casein are so great, yet my skin cannot handle it.

I noticed that my acne flares up when I stick to a strict bodybuilding diet. I thought that it may have been the high protein content in my diet that was causing it, but maybe its just dairy products (such as cottage cheese and whey protein).

Have you noticed if whey protein had any negative effects on your skin?

[quote]Bri Hildebrandt wrote:
Milk is a wonderful mucus inducer. I couldn’t breathe through my nose properly till I was 20, on the suggestion of my doctor that it may help. Low and behold I could breathe freely though my nose for the first time in my life. It was quite the shock for me that milk had been causing this problem.

With regards to acne, going off milk may have helped a little in that department as well although it was nothing dramatic. I did miss my morning cereal for while after that though. :)[/quote]

Bri, how long did it take for your nose to clear up after you had cut the milk out of your diet?

Okay, I stopped drinking milk for 2 weeks and my skin cleared up… I haven’t had a breakout since. Damn, I believe I have no choice but to say goodbye to the creamy goodness.

[quote]Boxer wrote:

Bri, how long did it take for your nose to clear up after you had cut the milk out of your diet?

[/quote]

Boxer, it was about 8 years ago so it’s a little fuzzy but I think it was around a couple weeks to clear up my nose.

I tend to drink some 4 gallons of milk weekly. My back suffers a bit, but no other area.

Cutting milk in the past has reduced this moderate ‘bacne’ to nothing, but because I rarely parade around in the buff, this reason is inadequate to drop dairy.

DI

I have had similar problems(acne, breathing, etc.) when using dairy products in the past. My experience:

1. When I remove all dairy (including protein powder) for two weeks, my skin dramatically clears up.

2. I have found that If I then add whey in moderation (mornings and after workout), I dont have as many breakouts

3. Cultured dairy (yogurt, kefir) has the least impact on me.

4. Cottage Chesse is OK - but can cause problems if I am consuming my whey as well.

I know try to hold my dairy to cultured products and whey. I believe I would be better from all whole food protein non dairy, I find that challenging in application though.

if I have cut dairy out and add it back in, symptoms flair up quickly. JB talked about this I believe in a Think Tank post about the effects of different types of milk proteins on allergies.

For me, I am moving toward all whole foods and whey only after workouts. Here come the tuna+V8 Protein shakes !

Good that I stumbled on to this. I have also noticed poor skin complexion more so on the shoulder & upper back area when drinking larger quantities of milk. I’m going to heed the advice here, and give up milk for a few weeks and see what the effects are.