Milk Alternative

[quote]golder wrote:
Rice/almond milk don’t have much protein at all and apparently I can’t get raw milk in ‘Berkshire, Reading, UK’.
After a lot of research I was able to find milk that isn’t raw, but it is unhomogenised. I’m quite ignorant here and I have no ideas of the differences between homogenisation and pasteurisation. Does anyone know which process is most likely to cause intolerance?

Am I likely to be more tolerant to UNHOMOGENISED but PASTEURISED milk? Can anyone briefly outline the difference in standard shop bought homogenised/pasteurised milk, raw milk and milk that is pasteurised but unhomogenised?

I really need to find an answer to this because the unhomogenised milk is expensive, but if it means actually utilising the nutrients of milk then I’m willing to spend the extra.
Anyone? I’m desperate ;)[/quote]

Use a protein powder for the protein, and everything else for fats/carbs. 1 scoop casein and 1 scoop whey isolate would be my recommendation- those have never bothered my lactose intolerance.

[quote]golder wrote:
Rice/almond milk don’t have much protein at all and apparently I can’t get raw milk in ‘Berkshire, Reading, UK’.
[/quote]

Try the below
http://www.hookandson.co.uk/HOW%20TO%20GET%20OUR%20MILK/how%20to%20get%20our%20milk.html
http://www.naturalfoodfinder.co.uk/

[quote]golder wrote:
[/quote]

Google “red23 uk” - hope that’s allowed through…

Yeah, guess I’m gona have to bite the bullet and fork out for some casein, although it’s expensive. What do you use for carbs/fats bigmac?

[quote]golder wrote:
Yeah, guess I’m gona have to bite the bullet and fork out for some casein, although it’s expensive. What do you use for carbs/fats bigmac?[/quote]
Break the cost per serving down and casein is pretty cheap. You’d have to drink three to four glasses of milk to match protein content.

[quote]magick62d wrote:

[quote]golder wrote:
Magic, I desperately want to try raw milk but I have no idea where to get it from. Everyone who I have inquired state who dangerous unpasteurised milk is and that’s why it’s so hard to get hold of. Otherwise I would definitely me on the raw milk.[/quote]

I use a co-op in Pa. Pastureraised.net is the website. Grass fed meats,dairy,from Amish farms. Don’t believe the propaganda about raw dairy being dangerous. More people get food poison from commercial milk than raw.[/quote]

Where did you hear this?

Almond milk tastes pretty good but most of it is loaded with sugar. Usually they try to hide it under some healthy sounding weasel word or description since that stuff usually sells well with the all natural organic wholesome goodness crowd.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]magick62d wrote:

[quote]golder wrote:
Magic, I desperately want to try raw milk but I have no idea where to get it from. Everyone who I have inquired state who dangerous unpasteurised milk is and that’s why it’s so hard to get hold of. Otherwise I would definitely me on the raw milk.[/quote]

I use a co-op in Pa. Pastureraised.net is the website. Grass fed meats,dairy,from Amish farms. Don’t believe the propaganda about raw dairy being dangerous. More people get food poison from commercial milk than raw.[/quote]

I have no experience with raw, and feel it is better just from using logic. That said, it’s not quite fair to say “more people get sick from regular than raw”. While that may be true, the # of people that use regular greatly outweighs raw[/quote]

Great point, this definitely slipped right past me. Saying more people get sick from regular milk vs raw milk in a country where it is pretty much just normal milk being sold sounds like a completely moot point.

[quote]02Thief wrote:

[quote]cally wrote:
im a fan of almond milk[/quote]

+1. Shit is delicious[/quote]

Times a million! You can’t go wrong with this. There are sweetened and unsweetened versions. My kids even prefer it now. No cow milk in our house.

[quote]plateau wrote:

[quote]golder wrote:
[/quote]

Google “red23 uk” - hope that’s allowed through…[/quote]

Thanks so much for that red23 link! Have you used them before? Are they reliable?

[quote]golder wrote:

[quote]plateau wrote:

[quote]golder wrote:
[/quote]

Google “red23 uk” - hope that’s allowed through…[/quote]

Thanks so much for that red23 link! Have you used them before? Are they reliable?[/quote]

Nope, sorry not used they are referenced on the weston price site I think - where I found them

Thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it.
So far, I’ve got:
carbs: oats
protein: whey, casein
fats: coconut oil, greek yoghurt
can’t think of much else, hopefully I’ll be able to solve the intolerance issues by getting raw milk, although the cheapest mentioned has been about £15 delivered for 1 or 2 pints. Not entirely feasible…

[quote]golder wrote:
Thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it.
So far, I’ve got:
carbs: oats
protein: whey, casein
fats: coconut oil, greek yoghurt
can’t think of much else, hopefully I’ll be able to solve the intolerance issues by getting raw milk, although the cheapest mentioned has been about Ã???Ã???Ã??Ã?£15 delivered for 1 or 2 pints. Not entirely feasible…[/quote]

Fruit is another good option for carbs. Bananas or some berries would make a nice addition. Also, I supposed almond milk COULD be used if you snag a sugary one.

For fats, natural nut butters are a good option as well.

Greek yogurt can be counted as a protein source too. And whether or not it is a carb or fat source in addition to that depends on what kind you get. It varies pretty drastically depending on the brand/type you grab. The higher milkfat variations can be counted as a fat source, but the 2% or less milkfat versions (especially flavored) tend to be carby and contain 20+g of sugar depending on what kind of flavoring they have.

Just go to the grocery store, look at the nutrition facts on things that look like they would taste good mixed with your protein powder, then buy things until you hit your calorie/macro goal for the shake lol. Oils and natty nut butters are probably the most economic calories to add in.

Also get a blender if you don’t already have one- game changer for shakes.

Edited 4 grammar. Sorry, been writing Spanish midterm essays all morning and my brain is broken.

Almond Milk

Can’t go wrong there.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]magick62d wrote:

[quote]golder wrote:

I have no experience with raw, and feel it is better just from using logic. That said, it’s not quite fair to say “more people get sick from regular than raw”. While that may be true, the # of people that use regular greatly outweighs raw[/quote]

True about the numbers,but the reason people get sick more from past. milk is that once heated it produces harmful bacteria when it goes out of date. Raw milk just ferments,still safe to consume.

Almond and other nut milks are super easy to make.
Just soak the nuts your going to use for 3 - 4 hours or overnight in the fridge, rinse and blend.
Approx 1 cup of nuts and seeds per litre of water, sweeten to taste, add some spice (cinnamon, cardamom or whatever you prefer).
Keep it in a shaker in the fridge and shake it to re-emulsify before drinking.
Personally I like 3 parts almonds, 3 parts brazil nuts, 1 part sunflower seed, 1 part pepitas, 1 part macadamias, pinch of cinnamon and a touch of sugar.
You could even add lecithin to emulsify it.

A few things on this;

OP is lactose intolerant. Switching to raw milk will do nothing to help his intolerance because, like pasteurized milk, it is loaded with lactose. Cream does have lactose but in a lower amount and switching to it would be helpful but may not completely eliminate the symptoms. Kefir and yogurt will be low in lactose and may solve the problem depending on how intolerant OP is. You can also get lactose reduced milk. There’s one brand called lactaid. Any of the alternatives like Almond Milk, Rice Milk or Soy Milk will be fine. I personally hate these alternatives.

[quote]on edge wrote:
A few things on this;

OP is lactose intolerant. Switching to raw milk will do nothing to help his intolerance because, like pasteurized milk, it is loaded with lactose. Cream does have lactose but in a lower amount and switching to it would be helpful but may not completely eliminate the symptoms. Kefir and yogurt will be low in lactose and may solve the problem depending on how intolerant OP is. You can also get lactose reduced milk. There’s one brand called lactaid. Any of the alternatives like Almond Milk, Rice Milk or Soy Milk will be fine. I personally hate these alternatives.

[/quote]

Myself and many others are lactose intolerant,but because raw dairy has lactase,a digestive enzyme we can use raw dairy with no probs . Pasteurization destroys lactase.Since I switched to raw milk several years ago I have no issues with dairy,drink a quart of raw milk a day on average,and also drink raw colostrum.

[quote]magick62d wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
A few things on this;

[/quote]

Myself and many others are lactose intolerant,but because raw dairy has lactase,a digestive enzyme we can use raw dairy with no probs . Pasteurization destroys lactase.Since I switched to raw milk several years ago I have no issues with dairy,drink a quart of raw milk a day on average,and also drink raw colostrum.[/quote]

You have a point for people who are just a little lactose intolerant. There is some lactase in RM and it will help. Most people who are lactose intolerant won’t be able to take a quart of raw milk a day. To be fair, most people won’t be able to take a quart of yogurt a day either. In addition to lactose being reduced by the cultures in yogurt, yogurt has the advantage that people don’t eat as much. Usually only about 6 ounces at a time.

It could also be you are actually allergic to the denatured proteins in pasteurized milk. This leads to another point that should be clarified about raw milk/past. milk. Most people who are allergic to pasteurized milk will also be allergic to raw milk. There’s a small percentage who are allergic to the denatured proteins in pasteurized milk, but again, it’s a small percentage.

[quote]Adzo wrote:
Almond and other nut milks are super easy to make.
Just soak the nuts your going to use for 3 - 4 hours or overnight in the fridge, rinse and blend.
Approx 1 cup of nuts and seeds per litre of water, sweeten to taste, add some spice (cinnamon, cardamom or whatever you prefer).
Keep it in a shaker in the fridge and shake it to re-emulsify before drinking.
Personally I like 3 parts almonds, 3 parts brazil nuts, 1 part sunflower seed, 1 part pepitas, 1 part macadamias, pinch of cinnamon and a touch of sugar.
You could even add lecithin to emulsify it.[/quote]

Definitely gonna try this Adzo, cheers pal.
When you rinse the nuts in water overnight in a fridge, do you then throw away the water they’ve been soaking in and then blend them? Also, how big is this ‘cup’ I’m using?