Military Press Plateau

Hi All

Just a question, I’m currently bulking using the main lifts,plus a few extra’s. .

I’ve come to a bit of a stumbling block on the Military press. I’m stuck at a weight that I just can’t shift, anywhere between 3-5 reps is the norm, I can’t get to my elusive 6th rep (i usually increase the weight once i can do 6 reps with good form). i’m still gaining weight so please do not suggest eating more, I think if I ate any more i’d turn into the honey monster.

Any idea’s, i was thinking of any of the below

1. Go back down a weight on the military press and attempt 10-15 reps then try and move up
  2. Stay at the same weight but do push presses
  3. remove military press for a few weeks and double up on Power cleans (i struggle most at the bottom part of the lift)
  4. do a shorter ROM
  5. do exercises that assist the supporting muscles hence overall increase in strength

I have searched the article database but only ever get Bench plateau’s blah blah blah

I look forward to your responses guys.

What’s the frequency of your shoulder work relative to chest work?

do some partial reps, so theres more time under tension

[quote]jump2it wrote:
Hi All

Just a question, I’m currently bulking using the main lifts,plus a few extra’s. .

I’ve come to a bit of a stumbling block on the Military press. I’m stuck at a weight that I just can’t shift, anywhere between 3-5 reps is the norm, I can’t get to my elusive 6th rep (i usually increase the weight once i can do 6 reps with good form). i’m still gaining weight so please do not suggest eating more, I think if I ate any more i’d turn into the honey monster.

Any idea’s, i was thinking of any of the below

1. Go back down a weight on the military press and attempt 10-15 reps then try and move up
  2. Stay at the same weight but do push presses
  3. remove military press for a few weeks and double up on Power cleans (i struggle most at the bottom part of the lift)
  4. do a shorter ROM
  5. do exercises that assist the supporting muscles hence overall increase in strength

I have searched the article database but only ever get Bench plateau’s blah blah blah

I look forward to your responses guys.

[/quote]

Strict MP is one of the only exercises that I can count on hitting a plateau on. A few things that I have found…

1. switch to dumb bell MP’s for awhile, without knowing what weight you’re working with on the barbell, you may have to drop poundage considerably, but it can be well worth it.

2. if you stick with barbell MP, drop your weight by like 15%, and work back up at smaller increments.

3. change your set/rep schedule, if you’re doing 4x6 or 5x5 right now, switch to 3x8, again you’ll be dropping weight a bit, but the total work done should be about the same and that small reduction in weight per rep could help bust the plateau.

4. work the accessory and antagonist muscles, the MP is obviously a compound lift, and a lot more than your delts get hit, could be another muscle group holding you back.

5. work core strength and stability, this is my worst area and has always held my MP back; hanging leg raises, decline sit ups, planks etc. will do you good.

Thanks for the replies guys

Jim - I do shoulders twice as much as chest, I know silly

Sid - I do partials generally on the power cleans - by that I mean I give it a little pump at the top of the movement but I reckon you could be onto something. just to say also Brock rocks

ATG. I think the dumbbells may be a good idea, my left side is definately my weaker, time to look like a pussy in the gym for a few weeks as i’ll have to go down some pounds, you can hide with a barbell but certainly not with dumbbells

maybe i already knew the answers just needed you guys to lay it down, cheers

also if ur getting stuck on a platuea maybe strengthen up the triceps if you havnt already as they do assist in the movement

Yeah i’m working on that also.

I’ve tried all sorts for the the triceps but I’ve just started weighted push ups and I swear by them, you get a real “me against the world” adrenaline rush when you do them, i think it has to do with the shear panic of being sent crashing to the floor with a bag of weights on your back.

The triceps get a real pasting from this

dips and close grip bench presses

I always feel if I want to up the weight in the press, I do seated Military Press. You can usually do more weight seated I think cuz you don’t need to stablize your lower body and core.

i always find i can get a few more reps standing because can use my legs to get a bit of momentum

1)Try handstand pushups.These will really add pounds to your military press if you havent done them before.IF you cant do them, here is a good article:

1. Increase your benchpress.If you significantly increase your benchpress, your military press will increase too.

3)Try working your shoulders after working chest, when they are preexhausted from benching.Obviously you wont be able to use as much weight, but it will increase your shoulder strength significantly.