Military Press and Blackouts

Hello I am new here so sorry if this is not posted in the proper sub-forum!

I have been having this problem with overhead-pressing for some time now where I sometimes nearly faint or get blackouts when pushing the weight above the head to lockout, I also get this weird thing that feels like someone has been punching my ears so that i feel a slight dizziness/hear sound echoes some seconds after lowering the bar. I have been pressing 100+ kg lately and a near disaster almost happened today.

Could i be a underlying blood-pressure problem?

I don’t think that is necessarily the problem. I know a friend of mine who plays Rugby and has unbelievable,ridiculous conditioning. He never has any kind of problems like this at all, but he completely 100% passed out when Shoulder Pressing 265 pounds upon locking it out.

He said it was by the grace of god there was a safety bar to catch the barbell, otherwise he would have died (srs) because it would have fallen on his head lol.

Anyways, point is, this kind of stuff can just happen with the military press when you go super heavy

How long did it take you to make up that story Ethan?

Could be due to pressure on the arteries. As you shrug your shoulders up to lock the bar out your pretty much choking yourself out…nice

I have definitely experienced light headedness and weird sensations when going heavy on any lift. I think it has to with blood pressure rising and the fact that your tightening up a ton veins and arteries when doing the lift. Just be smart about it and set up the safety pins jic, if you think it’s something more serious go to the doc.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
How long did it take you to make up that story Ethan?[/quote]

Which part? The op or his response?

Ethan7x responce, he is a troll and always has an answer for everything.

I actually experience the same thing with standing, near max effort OH Pressing From pins. I had to drop it from my rotation for that reason. I dont know if its the sudden jolt of effort that using the pins provide, but something about that particular variation on the lift would cause me to nearly black out, so I dont do it any more.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
Ethan7x responce, he is a troll and always has an answer for everything.[/quote]

No wonder. He authored the question as well.

Let a little air out when you start getting dizzy.

and ethan, STFU

Happens to me with deadlifts sometimes.

it happens to me from time to time when done standing.

Being in the medical field, but not an MD, I know that when you feel like you are going to black out, ONE of the reasons is a lack of blood flow/ oxygen to the brain. This definitely can happen if you hold your breath long enough due to impeding venous return to the heart secondary to increased thorasic pressure. The act of raising your arms with a load MIGHT be exacerbating the decreased cerebral blood flow by obstructing your carotids by holding your neck in an odd way. That is all somewhat of an educated guess. I have never felt that way during OHP, but I have during near maximal DLs, which I can control with a little less than a maximal inhalation before I start the lift.
There are other reasons for “blacking out” or syncope. Dehydration, low blood suger, vagal responce- a nerve that effects HR, can be stimulated from many different stimuli. If this does not happen with other exercises or daily activities, I would’t worry about it. BUT, I would not lift anything heavy over my head if I could not control it.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
Ethan7x responce, he is a troll and always has an answer for everything.[/quote]

No wonder. He authored the question as well.

[/quote]
I am relieved to see that I am not the only one that finds Ethan7’s posts a little immature, if not ODD.

Thanks : ]

Probably not breathing/holding your breath in. Like when you take deep breath, stand up really quickly and feel like you are going to pass out.

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:
Being in the medical field, but not an MD, I know that when you feel like you are going to black out, ONE of the reasons is a lack of blood flow/ oxygen to the brain. This definitely can happen if you hold your breath long enough due to impeding venous return to the heart secondary to increased thorasic pressure. The act of raising your arms with a load MIGHT be exacerbating the decreased cerebral blood flow by obstructing your carotids by holding your neck in an odd way. That is all somewhat of an educated guess. I have never felt that way during OHP, but I have during near maximal DLs, which I can control with a little less than a maximal inhalation before I start the lift.
There are other reasons for “blacking out” or syncope. Dehydration, low blood suger, vagal responce- a nerve that effects HR, can be stimulated from many different stimuli. If this does not happen with other exercises or daily activities, I would’t worry about it. BUT, I would not lift anything heavy over my head if I could not control it.[/quote]
Good theories.

I thought it could be a vagal response due to increased venous return when raising the arms combined with straining, making the BP skyrocket and then plummet. Could it happen that fast?

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:
Being in the medical field, but not an MD, I know that when you feel like you are going to black out, ONE of the reasons is a lack of blood flow/ oxygen to the brain. This definitely can happen if you hold your breath long enough due to impeding venous return to the heart secondary to increased thorasic pressure. The act of raising your arms with a load MIGHT be exacerbating the decreased cerebral blood flow by obstructing your carotids by holding your neck in an odd way. That is all somewhat of an educated guess. I have never felt that way during OHP, but I have during near maximal DLs, which I can control with a little less than a maximal inhalation before I start the lift.

[quote]

^This is the baroreceptor reflex/ valsalva manuever and you’re totally right. You summed it up pretty well.

CV Physiology | Hemodynamics of a Valsalva Maneuver For those that care there is a graph. But lifting would further increase the spike in mean arterial pressure (MAP) and thus also probably increase the compensatory drop in MAP leading to passing out during the overhead press.
Or it could be pathological and the person should probably get checked out by their doctor since a rapid change in BP could trigger an arrythmia (abnormal heart rhythm) that could also lead to passing out.

[quote]Squatsmustbehell wrote:
Hello I am new here so sorry if this is not posted in the proper sub-forum!

I have been having this problem with overhead-pressing for some time now where I sometimes nearly faint or get blackouts when pushing the weight above the head to lockout, I also get this weird thing that feels like someone has been punching my ears so that i feel a slight dizziness/hear sound echoes some seconds after lowering the bar. I have been pressing 100+ kg lately and a near disaster almost happened today.

Could i be a underlying blood-pressure problem?[/quote]

You might want to hit a cardiologist and get some check-up done. I think, but do not know though that nose bleeding and tunneling of vision (or temporary loss of sight) are much more common symptoms of spiking blood pressure during lifting.

New member asking about blackouts on his first post? Check.

Ethan7X booted off BB.com for trolling under alternate accounts? Check.

Ethan7X claimed to be training as a nurse but defaults to a “I know someone” response when he could’ve given the OP some valid medical advice? Check.

OP asks if he has a blood pressure problem, Ethan7X replies that it just happens…