T Nation

Military Man Needs Lifting Help!

Ive been looking to get into lifting again.  Before I could only get up to a 140 weight but im going 160+ now. The weights are calling..ive finally been able to gain the extra weight since ive been in the army.

The problem: PT! Mon-Fri every morning. Its generally around running/cardio…but it hasnt affected my weight very much at all.
Mon - 4 Mile Run
Tue - Pushups/Situps/Various*
Wed - 4 Mile Run
Thur - Pushup/Situps/Various*
Fri - Running(Sprints or Distance)
*=Running may be included light.

Thats a general outlook on the weeks. We usually just switch off between the two. Sometimes we PT in the afternoon as well. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for a friday/sat 2 day program i could start. I cant let the program affect my PT, which is why i need sunday as a rest day…but the program will definitely help me overall in both muscle gain and improvement on the army physical fitness test.

any ideas on what i could do? any help appreciated! im curious to know what you other military guys do out there.

[quote]gibran wrote:
Ive been looking to get into lifting again. Before I could only get up to a 140 weight but im going 160+ now. The weights are calling…ive finally been able to gain the extra weight since ive been in the army.

The problem: PT! Mon-Fri every morning. Its generally around running/cardio…but it hasnt affected my weight very much at all.
Mon - 4 Mile Run
Tue - Pushups/Situps/Various*
Wed - 4 Mile Run

Thur - Pushup/Situps/Various*
Fri - Running(Sprints or Distance)
*=Running may be included light.

Thats a general outlook on the weeks. We usually just switch off between the two. Sometimes we PT in the afternoon as well. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for a friday/sat 2 day program i could start. I cant let the program affect my PT, which is why i need sunday as a rest day…but the program will definitely help me overall in both muscle gain and improvement on the army physical fitness test.

any ideas on what i could do? any help appreciated! im curious to know what you other military guys do out there.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t train on Saturday, let your body rest. I would do an upper/lower split. Working the upper body the days you do pushups and the lower the days you run, except Wed where I wouldn’t weight train.

It cant work in with that schedule or else it will end up having some effect on my PT. Thats why friday when im off-duty and saturday are the best days. Most soldiers work out on their own on the weekends as well. I get plenty of rest during the weekdays(8-10 hours) so im not too worried about resting right now.

I think id be able to handle a 2 day routine no problem as long as I started with light weight high reps…but any other opinions on that?
upper lower split does sound good though.

[quote]gibran wrote:
It cant work in with that schedule or else it will end up having some effect on my PT. Thats why friday when im off-duty and saturday are the best days. Most soldiers work out on their own on the weekends as well. I get plenty of rest during the weekdays(8-10 hours) so im not too worried about resting right now.

I think id be able to handle a 2 day routine no problem as long as I started with light weight high reps…but any other opinions on that?
upper lower split does sound good though.[/quote]

I would up your protein intake, regardless of what you do. I’m training for Marine Corps OCS right now, and with running 20+ miles a week at 170 lbs, I get about 250 grams of protein to maintain my weight. This running comes on top of heavy compound lifts from my total body routines, with running at the end of some of my workouts. I’m burning a shitload of calories, so I need to take in a ton too. Same with you!

The military PT tests tend to stress cardio endurance (in the run) and relative strength (strength in relation to your bodyweight) with exercises such as pushups, situps, and pullups (varies depending on the service). If you get too big, your PT scores will likely suffer. I was in the Reserves, and noted that it was often the smaller, muscular guys that were best at PT. When one got too large their run times started to suffer.

If you want to get stronger for the PT test, you have to train for the specific exercises you will use. To get stronger in pushups, for instance, you need to do pushups. The problem is that your bodyweight may not provide enough resistance. A solution is to increase the resistance. I do not know if it is allowable, but would you be able to wear a weighted vest while doing your PT? This would allow you to increase the resistance while at the same time training the specific exercises you will be tested on. You could begin with a light weight, and gradually increase the amount of weight in the vest. You would have to begin light and gradually increase resistance, or you could put too much stress on your joints. Just an idea.

I’m a service guy and can still do pt at 5’10 215. I run for 15 minutes after every workout and do one longer run once a week. I also make sure to do pushups on my chest days so that I don’t lose all my fast twitch fibers in there.

You must be a marine doing PT that often and that far(4miles), I’m in the AF so we don’t know what real PT is :slight_smile:

Haha, no im in the army. Ill just come up with an upper lower split and stick to endurance. Working on exercises that will help pushups, situps, and legs.

[quote]gibran wrote:
Haha, no im in the army. Ill just come up with an upper lower split and stick to endurance. Working on exercises that will help pushups, situps, and legs.[/quote]

I scored a 286/300 on my Marine Corps PFT, and mostly because, well, the test is easy. They test us on pull ups, crunches, and a 3-mile run. If you can’t do 15-20 pull ups, I would be concerned, but the running and crunches are kind of a given due to the allotted time. An 18 minute 3-mile run is difficult, but getting a 19:30-20 minute time isn’t too demanding. The limit is 24 minutes, which should be doable for just about anyone who isn’t seriously overweight.