Military Athlete?

Anyone following this program? If so what results have you had?

Thanks.

Followed it religiously? No. I’ve cherry-picked workouts for small group PT, and it was very good during a deployment when we didnt have access to a real gym or equipment. I like them much better than crossfit, as it seems to have a method to the madness and they explain the ‘why’ of a workout. The guys that run the site are quick to respond to emails, and they sent their range fitness program to me only a few hours after I asked for it (nothing ground-breaking, but good for the kitbag). I’m guessing your initial ‘read’ on it is probably the same; focused on strength/endurance required for an AFG deployment… t-shirts are cool, too.

Thanks for sharing your experience with it. I may start it up regularly if my elbow cooperates.

Source? Im in the process of starting a small gym (& joining the army reserves) but ive never been completely sold on crossfit - id like to offer something with a little more substance (even if my clients still think its crossfit)

www.militaryathlete.com

Cant argue with that! :smiley:

Just looked over the page.
I know, I know… never talk before you try something.

Still, Cosgrove comes to mind when reading that stuff…

"3) BOOT CAMPS

Boot camp is where trainee soldiers go to learn the art of war, get in shape, and prepare to be on the front line. What your gym offers is known to children all around the world as playing soldier.

Dressing up in green camouflage and having someone yelling at you to keep your feet six inches off the ground while you’re lying in the mud is not cutting edge fitness training. Its cutting edge fucking stupid is what it is. "

I did it for a while. I liked it a lot, but think that it’s lacking in the running/rucking department (at least for someone like me who needs to maintain it). I have a couple of friends who absolutely fell in love with it and follow it religiously. A guy who was very weak has gotten stronger, and a guy who was somewhat strong has stayed that way. Both of them have seen conditioning improvements.

I stopped following it when he started charging $25 a month for content that (IMO) isn’t worth that. Some people agree with charging as much as he is, I don’t, and I can’t afford it right now. But I appreciate what I learned from when I did follow.

Have a binder filled with all of 2009’s workouts up until December but I’ve never actually taken the plunge myself. I’m sending a link to the squad workouts up to our PT leader for next semester for ideas.

Good program. I like the fact that he emphasizes a solid strength base, but has other “cycles” as well. His work capacity stuff is no joke, either.

Also, just to clarify…it’s not a “Boot Camp”, although I understand the title might lead one to think otherwise. It’s more akin to Gym Jones or a ramped up verion of Crossfit.

I also have a binder with the workouts from 2009. If / when I get through with that, I might start paying the $25 a month. We’ll see.

If your getting ready for selection of some sort, its a good workout

workout was made for the masses, its really up to you to tweak it to fit exactly what you need.

Without subscribing, where would one get their hands on these workouts you speak of?

Without subscribing, where would one get their hands on these workouts you speak of?

Anything crossfit really…

[quote]sjfou wrote:
Without subscribing, where would one get their hands on these workouts you speak of?[/quote]

here: http://www.militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=35

and here: http://www.militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=38

i just checked it out, and they e-mailed me back the Afghan program in about 30 seconds (literally). that program looks pretty solid to me…

EDIT: here’s their Facebook link: Facebook - log in or sign up

Thanks alot CBM - BTW, i thought your name referred to the Aussie built Bushmaster vehicle… (which is pretty bad ass)

RJ - mods deleted my link & sent me a PM saying i was advertising competitors.

i followed this program religiously. My strength steadily increased without weight gain. If you’re trying to bulk up, MA is not for you. There’s a fair amount of cardio work and you’ll burn a lot of calories. It’s more of a functional fitness type thing

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
i followed this program religiously. My strength steadily increased without weight gain. If you’re trying to bulk up, MA is not for you. There’s a fair amount of cardio work and you’ll burn a lot of calories. It’s more of a functional fitness type thing [/quote]

Paying the $25/month and been doing it since mid-March. I am not able to finish the training sessions in 50 min as Shaul suggests. Some take me 20-30 minutes longer, and there are times when I’m grinding at it for two hours (I’m including pre warm-up time to their ‘warm up’, and just changing weights burn minutes). Wondering if you have a similar experience.

Perhaps I’m just slow. And weak.