Mileage Tax

Another hit on the middle class. A great number of people that make 30-50k per year that have 50+ mi commutes to work every day. Now they will be taxed for not only buying vehicle, but how much they use it. As if $4/gal isn’t enough of a hit financially. I sure hope this fails.

To me this translates as no incentive to buy a fuel efficient car knowing the expensive hybrids have to pay just as much as me for tax, and would this make per gallon cheaper? If only they tested this in CA first so it could fail faster.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
To me this translates as no incentive to buy a fuel efficient car knowing the expensive hybrids have to pay just as much as me for tax, and would this make per gallon cheaper? If only they tested this in CA first so it could fail faster.[/quote]

it does , but proportionately it will hit the lower rungs of the ladder harder and ease at it goes up

Let the revolution begin.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

Another hit on the middle class. A great number of people that make 30-50k per year that have 50+ mi commutes to work every day. Now they will be taxed for not only buying vehicle, but how much they use it. As if $4/gal isn’t enough of a hit financially. I sure hope this fails. [/quote]

Oh yeah, and what about all the general contracting and construction guys–hell, farmers–that use trucks FOR work on top of getting there?

Or semi-truckers. I mean damn how do you even start on that? that would kill trucking.

Isn’t this a bit too much like the beginning of restricting freedom of travel?

I mean you start with making people think “oh do I really need to make that trip?” then their world gets progressively smaller.

Or am I just reading to many conspiracy websites?

Cash grab, enviromently justified, lol

“States are looking for an alternative to the gas tax, because the per-gallon taxes often do not keep up with inflation, and they are bringing in less money as cars become more fuel-efficient.”

This will be a great replacement* for the current gas tax and here are some reasons…

Oh by replacement I meant addition. Had to speak like a politician for a while. Damn, fuel efficient cars are just killing the money we are bringing in. Better add another tax!

[quote]Edward wrote:
Isn’t this a bit too much like the beginning of restricting freedom of travel?

I mean you start with making people think “oh do I really need to make that trip?” then their world gets progressively smaller.

Or am I just reading to many conspiracy websites?[/quote]

It is not a conspiracy when what you describe is true, and what you describe is exactly what will happen.

The poorer you are, the worse this hits you, so in my world where you can go to the beach and enjoy it no matter your income, that will all change.

I will predict, that if they fuck around and really try to push this forward, it will get ugly.

[quote]H factor wrote:
“States are looking for an alternative to the gas tax, because the per-gallon taxes often do not keep up with inflation, and they are bringing in less money as cars become more fuel-efficient.”

This will be a great replacement* for the current gas tax and here are some reasons…

Oh by replacement I meant addition. Had to speak like a politician for a while. Damn, fuel efficient cars are just killing the money we are bringing in. Better add another tax! [/quote]

Yeah, exactly–does anybody in their right mind think they’re actually going to recind the gas tax if they go forward with this? Nooooooo.

Then on the other side of the coin we have Chicago wanting to pass a bicycle tax.

“Ron Burke, executive director of the Active Transportation Alliance, said he doesn’t know of a single U.S. city with a bicycle licensing program. While many cities have considered it, the idea is always rejected as too complicated and unlikely to generate enough revenue to cover costs, Burke said.”

People need to build their infrastructure where it is too smart to have the average politician tax it. Forget about innovation, just focus on tax ingenuity.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

Oh by replacement I meant addition. Had to speak like a politician for a while. Damn, fuel efficient cars are just killing the money we are bringing in. Better add another tax! [/quote]

Yeah, exactly–does anybody in their right mind think they’re actually going to recind the gas tax if they go forward with this? Nooooooo.[/quote]

This x infinity.

If this was an actual replacement that would be one thing, but it will be an addition to.

If they want to replace the gas tax, then they can begin by rescinding the gas tax BEFORE passing this mileage tax.