Mileage Tax

Wasn’t a big part of the recent spen…I mean stimulus package going towards improving infrastructure? Why do we need this new tax that would hurt people driving fuel efficient cars, not to mention having the government wired to your car via GPS?

The revolt is coming soon to a town near you!

In order to fund the creation and maintenance of roads, the government taxed the closest proxy to road use they had at the time- the amount of gasoline used.

Now they have more sophisticated technology that allows them to more accurately distribute the costs of maintenance among those that use it- specifically, those that use the good more should pay more. Those that use the good less, should pay less.

I’m assuming this would be a tax on miles travelled instead of gas consumed.

I can see the controversy over privacy rights this would cause if implemented. But in a theoretical sense, what’s inappropriate about distributing the costs of a good to reflect the actual use of that good?

[quote]Otep wrote:
In order to fund the creation and maintenance of roads, the government taxed the closest proxy to road use they had at the time- the amount of gasoline used.

Now they have more sophisticated technology that allows them to more accurately distribute the costs of maintenance among those that use it- specifically, those that use the good more should pay more. Those that use the good less, should pay less.

I’m assuming this would be a tax on miles travelled instead of gas consumed.

I can see the controversy over privacy rights this would cause if implemented. But in a theoretical sense, what’s inappropriate about distributing the costs of a good to reflect the actual use of that good?[/quote]

Nothing, but they could also tax you at the end of each year for the miles you drove.

They do not need to know where your car is all the time.

I guess the economy consumers actualize by buying cars with fuel efficiency is now dead. You’re now buying green for greens sake and it will not save you money. The lure of going green was savings. Bye Bye.

This is like bait and switch for all the people who bought into the fuel efficient goverment push. We are (were)trying to save cash by buying hybrids and 4 cylinder cars. THAT was the motivation and that’s why people went green with their vehicles.

Now…where’s the motivation?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
I guess the economy consumers actualize by buying cars with fuel efficiency is now dead. You’re now buying green for greens sake and it will not save you money. The lure of going green was savings. Bye Bye.

This is like bait and switch for all the people who bought into the fuel efficient goverment push. We are (were)trying to save cash by buying hybrids and 4 cylinder cars. THAT was the motivation and that’s why people went green with their vehicles.

Now…where’s the motivation?[/quote]

Mother Earth you insensitive beast!

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

Soon to be updated EPA regs on carbon dioxide emissions.

[quote]orion wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

Mother Earth you insensitive beast![/quote]

I was waiting for someone to say that, and that’s exactly the motivation right?

People will hassle others into it.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

Loving the smell of your own farts.

(God I love South Park 8D)

Well it may not happen…but who believes anything the Administration says anymore. Could be back on the alter of Obama snext week for all we know.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/20/transportation-chief-considers-taxing-miles-driven/

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:

Wasn’t a big part of the recent spen…I mean stimulus package going towards improving infrastructure? Why do we need this new tax that would hurt people driving fuel efficient cars, not to mention having the government wired to your car via GPS?[/quote]

Horrible idea. I really don’t get this either, if you’re going to tax, tax gas, but not the mileage.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I see a market for disabling the GPS devices and skipping on the taxes. I could easily justify it with Big Brother antipathy.[/quote]

I think you have found the one disorder that will not be embraced by liberalism.

think about it…

someone steals your car, drives it across country and you are left with a 500 tax bill.

The commerical “hands in my pocket” come to mind. plus now they gave a GPS unit attached to your car. This is getting out of hand.

Soon we will receive no pay, you will work for the “privileges” granted onto you by the gluttonous beast that is the government.

Revolution anyone??

[quote]100meters wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:

Wasn’t a big part of the recent spen…I mean stimulus package going towards improving infrastructure? Why do we need this new tax that would hurt people driving fuel efficient cars, not to mention having the government wired to your car via GPS?

Horrible idea. I really don’t get this either, if you’re going to tax, tax gas, but not the mileage.[/quote]

Wait…Did you just say what I think you did?

-mindblown-

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

Wow. Great point!!!

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

So what you are telling me is that this mileage tax would completely offset any savings in fuel costs?

Woo-hoo! I can drive my truck more, even though it uses three times more gas than my car, because what the hell, gas is free now!

[quote]tme wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

So what you are telling me is that this mileage tax would completely offset any savings in fuel costs?

Woo-hoo! I can drive my truck more, even though it uses three times more gas than my car, because what the hell, gas is free now!
[/quote]

You’ve proven to be a real dipshit. Let me help you with this one. If mileage tax replaces gas tax, the cost saving of a couple miles to the gallon will be reduced.

Why would anyone pay more for a hybrid car or truck that is more expensive to buy and maintain? They don’t even pay for themselves with huge gas tax jacking up the price per gallon.

I looked a buying a hybrid when I was driving 1200 miles a week. Still didn’t pay to spend more money on hybrid of similar size or with similar features as the 530xi I bought instead. This is when gas was 4 dollars to the gallon.

Go look at normal and hybrid prices for the same model. Calculate the differense in cost. Calculate how many miles you will drive over the life of the car. Now take the miles you will drive, divide it by the hybrid mileage, and multiply it against the cost of gas.

Compare this number to the same calculation for the non-hybird. See what you come up with genious.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
tme wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

You’ve proven to be a real dipshit. Let me help you with this one. If mileage tax replaces gas tax, the cost saving of a couple miles to the gallon will be reduced.

Why would anyone pay more for a hybrid car or truck that is more expensive to buy and maintain? They don’t even pay for themselves with huge gas tax jacking up the price per gallon.

I looked a buying a hybrid when I was driving 1200 miles a week. Still didn’t pay to spend more money on hybrid of similar size or with similar features as the 530xi I bought instead. This is when gas was 4 dollars to the gallon.

Go look at normal and hybrid prices for the same model. Calculate the differense in cost. Calculate how many miles you will drive over the life of the car. Now take the miles you will drive, divide it by the hybrid mileage, and multiply it against the cost of gas. Compare this number to the same calculation for the non-hybird. See what you come up with genious.[/quote]

Sorry dipshit, but that wasn’t rockhead’s point at all. If I had to chose between a Prius or other hybrid or say a Jetta TDI the TDI would be the obvious choice.

But he’s trying to make it a choice between saving on fuel or paying a mileage tax, which is kind of a stupid choice. Kind of like fuck the TDI, I want a Yukon! The tax is the same, so why not!!

Sorry but I’ll take saving on fuel, thanks.

[quote]tme wrote:
dhickey wrote:
tme wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

Go look at normal and hybrid prices for the same model. Calculate the differense in cost. Calculate how many miles you will drive over the life of the car. Now take the miles you will drive, divide it by the hybrid mileage, and multiply it against the cost of gas. Compare this number to the same calculation for the non-hybird. See what you come up with genious.

Sorry dipshit, but that wasn’t rockhead’s point at all. If I had to chose between a Prius or other hybrid or say a Jetta TDI the TDI would be the obvious choice.

But he’s trying to make it a choice between saving on fuel or paying a mileage tax, which is kind of a stupid choice. Kind of like fuck the TDI, I want a Yukon! The tax is the same, so why not!!

Sorry but I’ll take saving on fuel, thanks.

[/quote]

The point is the savings on fuel comes at the expense of a more expensive vehicle. The choice of a regular Jetta and a TDI jetta should not be made for fuel efficiency alone. That’s not a smart choice at low gas prices. I would choose the TDI for other reasons though.

If you want a Yukon, buying the Hybrid Yukon will not pay for itself. If you want to be cool and say you have a hybrid, that fine. Just don’t claim it was an economic decision.