Mild Hip and Back Pain During Squats

Quick details:

Have mild hip pain in my right hip during squats. Not bad at all, but enough that it draws focus from my set.

Also mild back pain, mid back, to the right of my spine. Muscular in nature, not bad either, but it’s not going away.

General mobility seems bad in my hips, takes 4 or 5 sets to find my groove almost everytime I squat.

Any mobility routines I can check out?

Whatever happened here? Did the pain subside? I’m most curious about the mid back pain. What was it?

1 Like

Oh man this was ages ago, I’ve got all new aches and pains haha.

To be honest, I can’t pin point the exact causes of my problems back then, if I had to hazzard a guess, I’d say I notoriously have tight hamstrings and a weak core.

I do know that I started implementing paused squats pretty regularly at that point in my programming, and really started stretching and rolling my hamstrings every night (only post workout) and it all started to fall together.

I had a similar issue recently and started doing closer stance SSB squats in a 2:1 ratio with regular (low bar for me) squats and it seems to be doing the trick, although I’m not sure yet if I’m just reducing the pain or fixing it, only time will tell.