Mikes Training Log

Well to start this whole thing off I figure I will introduce myself. My name is Mike I was a longtime lurker and posted a couple times here and there on the site. I am 23 years old working on getting my masters degree in Applied Heath Physiology from Salisbury University. I work as a Strength and Conditioning Coach for the University as well and train Football, Men’s and Women’s Swimming, Track and Field as well as Women’s Volleyball. I compete as a 231 in Strongman and have a competition coming up November 7th.
Feel free to ask any questions.

8/10/2015
Back Squat 1x5-390, 1x5 410, 1x5 420
Deficit Deadlift from 3 inches 315x5 365x5 405x5 430x5
Single Arm DB Row 3x12 100
Pullups 3x5 Bodyweight
Glute Ham Raise 3x15 Bodyweight
Banded Glute Bridge 2x25

Welcome to the forums. Strong work in that squat video. Four big wheels for reps is no joke.

Did you play ball in college yourself?

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
Welcome to the forums. Strong work in that squat video. Four big wheels for reps is no joke.

Did you play ball in college yourself?[/quote]

Yeah I played at Bridgewater College in Virginia then transferred to Salisbury and played.

8/11/15
Little bit of prehab and mobility work today nothing fancy enough to call mom over.
20 minutes 100 pound sled tow

[quote]monstrousmike wrote:

Yeah I played at Bridgewater College in Virginia then transferred to Salisbury and played.[/quote]

Nice. Fellow D3 alum here (Carnegie Mellon University, in Pittsburgh).

Salisbury has had some really strong teams over the last few years. How did you like the Empire 8? Oh, and also, we played Wesley in the (2006) playoffs back when I was in college, and I always have followed them a little bit ever since. Y’all gave them a few really tough games.

Yeah I played at Bridgewater College in Virginia then transferred to Salisbury and played.[/quote]

Nice. Fellow D3 alum here (Carnegie Mellon University, in Pittsburgh).

Salisbury has had some really strong teams over the last few years. How did you like the Empire 8? Oh, and also, we played Wesley in the (2006) playoffs back when I was in college, and I always have followed them a little bit ever since. Y’all gave them a few really tough games.
[/quote]

D3 Life! Nice to see others in the club!
The Empire 8 wasn’t bad we found success there and actually won the conference my first year at Salisbury. The only issue was all the travel up to New York. We are actually moving conferences this year over to the NJAC along with Wesley and a few other teams. So it should be an exciting year with getting everything ready to go and seeing how we stack up.

Welcome to the boards man! I am also in MD, and have a few friends that train strongman out near you. If your Nov contest is Maryland’s Strongest Man then I’ll be there as well.

The Empire 8 wasn’t bad we found success there and actually won the conference my first year at Salisbury. The only issue was all the travel up to New York. We are actually moving conferences this year over to the NJAC along with Wesley and a few other teams. So it should be an exciting year with getting everything ready to go and seeing how we stack up. [/quote]

Yeah, I am excited to see how Wesley and Sals stack up in the NJAC. I always thought you guys were an odd fit in the Empire 8 - not competitively, but geographically. D3 is so different than D1 - we aren’t raking in millions of TV dollars, so by necessity we kind of have to find leagues that are within a bus ride for most everyone, and if all of the musical chairs are filled you can end up with a few homeless teams.

No offense to the Gulls, but I’m actually even more intrigued to see what this does to Wesley. They are fantastic but they have never had the pressure of being in a league and needing to bring it against a league opponent every week - of course, they have proved in the playoffs that they are a worthy inclusion, but they could fall asleep at the switch and lose during the regular season (Kean, 2011 and Rowan, 2013). I want to see what happens to them against a full slate of conference opponents.

Travel-wise, it should be much easier for Sals than in years past. As the S & C coach, will you be traveling with the team to games?

[quote]Alpha wrote:
Welcome to the boards man! I am also in MD, and have a few friends that train strongman out near you. If your Nov contest is Maryland’s Strongest Man then I’ll be there as well.[/quote]

It is Marylands Strongest Man. Should be an exciting competition. Do you mind me asking who your friends are?

The Empire 8 wasn’t bad we found success there and actually won the conference my first year at Salisbury. The only issue was all the travel up to New York. We are actually moving conferences this year over to the NJAC along with Wesley and a few other teams. So it should be an exciting year with getting everything ready to go and seeing how we stack up. [/quote]

Yeah, I am excited to see how Wesley and Sals stack up in the NJAC. I always thought you guys were an odd fit in the Empire 8 - not competitively, but geographically. D3 is so different than D1 - we aren’t raking in millions of TV dollars, so by necessity we kind of have to find leagues that are within a bus ride for most everyone, and if all of the musical chairs are filled you can end up with a few homeless teams.

No offense to the Gulls, but I’m actually even more intrigued to see what this does to Wesley. They are fantastic but they have never had the pressure of being in a league and needing to bring it against a league opponent every week - of course, they have proved in the playoffs that they are a worthy inclusion, but they could fall asleep at the switch and lose during the regular season (Kean, 2011 and Rowan, 2013). I want to see what happens to them against a full slate of conference opponents.

Travel-wise, it should be much easier for Sals than in years past. As the S & C coach, will you be traveling with the team to games?[/quote]

Wesley in my opinion will still be Wesley. They are able to get a lot of guys that wouldn’t be a good fit in some of the more esteemed academic D3 programs. Our department is growing and as a D3 strength coach it is a little harder to get buy in across the board from coaches on why I should be there when budgets are already being stretched thin. However; this year should be a little different and hopefully I will be able to travel with the majority of my teams not just football. Last year all of my teams had a lot of success in and out of the weight room so hopefully they will find me a spot even if its on the dreaded Athletic Trainer van.

[quote]Alpha wrote:
Welcome to the boards man! I am also in MD, and have a few friends that train strongman out near you. If your Nov contest is Maryland’s Strongest Man then I’ll be there as well.[/quote]

It is Marylands Strongest Man. Should be an exciting competition. Do you mind me asking who your friends are?[/quote]

I would rather not use their full names on the internet without their permission. One is Greg and the other is Andy. It is a small world in strongman so maybe you know them. Greg won MD’s Strongest in 2013 and I won it Last year. Andy is a pro 231 guy. I think this year is going to be insanely competitive and should be fun for everyone involved. It will be good to meet you out there brother!

[quote]Alpha wrote:

[quote]Alpha wrote:

It is Marylands Strongest Man. Should be an exciting competition. Do you mind me asking who your friends are?[/quote]

I would rather not use their full names on the internet without their permission. One is Greg and the other is Andy. It is a small world in strongman so maybe you know them. Greg won MD’s Strongest in 2013 and I won it Last year. Andy is a pro 231 guy. I think this year is going to be insanely competitive and should be fun for everyone involved. It will be good to meet you out there brother! [/quote]

Greg works a block away from my office at Salisbury and is absolutely hysterical, Andy was actually my strength coach for a year, is who got me into the whole strongman thing and someone I really look up to. Yeah those are the guys I train with regularly. Small world for sure can’t wait to see you out there.

[quote]Alpha wrote:

[quote]Alpha wrote:

I would rather not use their full names on the internet without their permission. One is Greg and the other is Andy. It is a small world in strongman so maybe you know them. Greg won MD’s Strongest in 2013 and I won it Last year. Andy is a pro 231 guy. I think this year is going to be insanely competitive and should be fun for everyone involved. It will be good to meet you out there brother! [/quote]

Greg works a block away from my office at Salisbury and is absolutely hysterical, Andy was actually my strength coach for a year, is who got me into the whole strongman thing and someone I really look up to. Yeah those are the guys I train with regularly. Small world for sure can’t wait to see you out there.
well, I’m glad man, it will be great to have you! drop any rilvary,

greg is coming by saturday? wanna come by?

[quote]Alpha wrote:
greg is coming by saturday? wanna come by?[/quote]

I wish football is starting back up on Friday so them being in camp is going to be a nightmare the first few days.

rilvery is not in me man, I’m glad you are competing!

[quote]Alpha wrote:
rilvery is not in me man, I’m glad you are competing! [/quote]

Same here man! Honestly, my experiences so far even though I’m new to strongman is that everyone seems fairly welcoming its an awesome environment. Hopefully we can get a training session in before the competition

8/12 /15
Deadlift: 12x3 305 + 80lbs in chain at the top
Z Press: 95x5, 105x5, 115x5, 125x5, 135x5 145x5
Good Morning 3x12 185
Rolling DB Tricep 3x15 40lbs
Post Delt Fly s/s Front Raise 3x15 35/25lbs

8/13
Prowler 135 10x35 yards 1 min rest between reps

8/14/15
Feeling a little sore and tired today. All the running around getting ready for players to come into camp and meetings with coaches has been throwing a bit of a wrench in my normal lifting time. Today was repetition effort on overhead press overall got in and felt awesome. And with it being friday it is Bro-Tank Friday so the pump was real.

Military Press 150 3x8
Safety Squat 135x5 185x5 225x5 275x5 315x5
Incline DB Press 75 3x12 (Horizontal Pressing of any kind is horrendous for me as I have been rehabbing a shoulder injury)
RDL 225 3x15
Blast Strap T BW 3x12
Band Pulldown 3x20 elitefts grey band

8/17
Military Press 170x5 180x5 185x5
Squat From Pins Build up to 405x5
Incline DB Bench 75x10 85x2x10
Blast Strap T 3x12
Band Pulldown 3x25

8/18
Sled Tow 125x20 minutes

8/19
Box Squat 12x3 275 80lbs in chain at the top
Sumo Deadlift 365x5 built up to this and it felt absolutely miserable and stupidly heavy.
Pullups 3x6bw
SA DB Row 110 3x12
Glute Ham Raise 3x15
Glute Bridge Banded around the Knee 2x25

Overall I feel pretty good since my last post. A little tired from yelling at athletes and as more and more teams get on campus my days will keep getting longer. However I am getting enough time to adjust which is awesome. This is also my 9th day of Carb Nite by Kiefer. The first 3 or 4 days I felt like shit energy wise but caffeine and dip kept my motor running. I feel fantastic now though and am sleeping great. Although I am looking to this almighty carb nite!