Mike Tyson Biopic - Jamie Foxx

HBO made a Mike Tyson movie years ago. And he was played by Michael Jai White. I thought he potrayed him pretty well.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
HBO made a Mike Tyson movie years ago. And he was played by Michael Jai White. I thought he potrayed him pretty well.[/quote]

nah… I’m a fan of a few of White’s action movies but he has some bad acting moments. I wanted to laugh more at that movie. If Jamie can do what he did in Ray he has more potential for intensity.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I actually thought Rocky I did a really good job.

Carl Weathers was really, really smooth, and he had pretty fast hands for a friggin actor. He had good balance and he really fought in a way that was similar to Ali.

And Sly, I thought, did an INCREDIBLE job showing the awkward power of a heavyweight southpaw back then.

And then it all sucked with Rocky II. [/quote]

And yet I have heard “I like the ones where Rocky wins better.” It would drive me to drink. If it took driving.

Not that I mind schlock.

I enjoyed Gladiator, the boxing one…

and Diggstown

too much to act like every movie has to be Raging Bull.

Also, though maybe not entirely a boxing movie, I thought The Power of One was very well done.

Based on a novel I confess I have never read.

Regards,

Robert A

You guys are going to be blown away at how well jamie foxx portrays mike tyson.Comedians tend to be the kind of people that do a lot of character study and introspection. He’s also boxed (for fun/fitness) for YEARS now and has been doing mike tyson impressions for about a decade and 1/2 now. He KNOWS the character.

Will Smith did the same thing in Ali, down to the way he touched his own face in a few scenes was just how Ali would do the same. And I’m gonna have to disagree with you Irish. My dad, a former black panther, met Ali on several occassions, huge boxing fan, golden gloves boxer (never won anything), etc, etc was blown away with how well Will Smith performed.

My dad is probably just being nostalgic so take that with a grain of salt, but I thought it was great as well. THOUGH I do see your point about how his speech pattern didn’t flow as well but who could??? I don’t think there’s anyone in hollywood that could have done any better.

With the same director from “ray” the attention to detail is going to be insane and with someone of Jamie’s caliber it will be another box office triumph imo. It’s about time they did Tyson’s story justice. They were trying to cast someone as Ray Charles and the ONLY person that got his blessing was Jamie Foxx. You have to give the guy credit for being talented.

I think the biggest obstacle you guys have mentioned is will he be able to pull off the intimidating factor. Well he also played a quarterback in “Any Given Sunday” and he’s like 5’9 lol. He bulked up for that role too. But he really just looked like the average gym goer lol. sidenote- If I was him I’d want to play Tyson too, just so I can get on that good Hollywood Juice and bulk up lol

And like Robert A… They already have my money. Fuck. lol

[quote]My dad is probably just being nostalgic so take that with a grain of salt, but I thought it was great as well. THOUGH I do see your point about how his speech pattern didn’t flow as well but who could??? I don’t think there’s anyone in hollywood that could have done any better.
[/quote]

Honestly cannot think of anyone ever who was as charismatic as Ali.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
And like Robert A… They already have my money. Fuck. lol[/quote]

I SOOO want to be wrong. Because if it turns out bad I have to sit through it. I can’t help myself.

I have enough perspective to know I am going to watch something, even if I shouldn’t. The last Indiana Jones, the last 3 Star Wars (Fuck be upon Spielburg and Lucas), the movie Priest (horrible, but of course I was there with a tub of popcorn because it looked like the dude from Assassin’s Creed was going to kill vampires while riding Judge Dredd’s bike); I watch all kinds of shit I wish I didn’t. Hell I can’t wait for Spartacus to start up again and it’s going to have a completely different Spartacus.

I hope Foxx nails it. I don’t think he does intimidation well. The only “tough” role like that I can think of was The Kingdom. I DO think he is a fine actor, and will be able to handle the vulnerable/emotional aspects well enough. Just please don’t fuck it up to bad.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:

[quote]My dad is probably just being nostalgic so take that with a grain of salt, but I thought it was great as well. THOUGH I do see your point about how his speech pattern didn’t flow as well but who could??? I don’t think there’s anyone in hollywood that could have done any better.
[/quote]

Honestly cannot think of anyone ever who was as charismatic as Ali.
[/quote]

Unless you are Joe Frazier, or Joe Frazier’s son…or Mrs. Ali circa his fight with Foreman.

Man, guess I’m alone but if this goes through there’s NO WAY I see this in the theater. I still haven’t seen Ali just because I can’t take the fresh prince seriously in the role. And, that’s not a disservice to Smith as an actor as I’m a fan of everything I’ve seen him in, just didn’t seem believable from the previews. If Foxx gets this, that feeling will be magnified. Tyson to me is the saddest story in pro sports history and maybe the perfect example of the self destructive nature of man. There’s no way his story is done justice.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Man, guess I’m alone but if this goes through there’s NO WAY I see this in the theater. I still haven’t seen Ali just because I can’t take the fresh prince seriously in the role. And, that’s not a disservice to Smith as an actor as I’m a fan of everything I’ve seen him in, just didn’t seem believable from the previews. If Foxx gets this, that feeling will be magnified. Tyson to me is the saddest story in pro sports history and maybe the perfect example of the self destructive nature of man. There’s no way his story is done justice.[/quote]

Just give it a chance.

Smith did a good job in Ali, not great but good.

Now, I’m really seeing Foxx as Tyson.

First of all, their facial traits are quite similar and secondly, Foxx is a diverse, talented actor. I’ll expect him to deliver a great performance a la Ray.

I’m still not sure about the boxing – even Smith didn’t really convince me in Ali – but Foxx has trained MA. He may surprise us.

They have my money already. My opinion is that Will did a pretty good job as Ali. Not perfect, but convincing, nonetheless.

Jamie will nail the role of Tyson. It’s in the eyes. He fits it perfectly. And if anyone doesn’t believe he’ll have the intensity, just ask anyone who was present in Louisiana when someone messed with his sister. He’ll do well.

OK forget about the movie

Spike Lee is doing a HBO TV series about the young Mike Tyson entitled “Da Brick”. Now While HBO productions are usually top notch, this is who spike lee is getting to play tyson…

The dude looks like a underwear model not a fighter. Then again, the ability of the actor is the most important thing. Spike Lee is more than capable, even if I think he is a douche for always trying to create drama/issues in real life where there isn’t.

EDIT: OK it appears its not ABOUT mike tyson, rather it’s directly inspired by him. Tyson and his wife are on board as producers or something. Apparently it’s aiming to be kind of like Entourage but instead of a bunch of overpaid dickheads in hollywood, it’s going to be about a juvenile delinquent in the ghetto getting his big break with boxing i guess.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

Spike Lee is doing a HBO TV series about the young Mike Tyson entitled “Da Brick”. Now While HBO productions are usually top notch, this is who spike lee is getting to play tyson…

The dude looks like a underwear model not a fighter. Then again, the ability of the actor is the most important thing. Spike Lee is more than capable, even if I think he is a douche for always trying to create drama/issues in real life where there isn’t.

EDIT: OK it appears its not ABOUT mike tyson, rather it’s directly inspired by him. Tyson and his wife are on board as producers or something. Apparently it’s aiming to be kind of like Entourage but instead of a bunch of overpaid dickheads in hollywood, it’s going to be about a juvenile delinquent in the ghetto getting his big break with boxing i guess.[/quote]

Have you walked thru the streets of NYC, or even better, thru the Brownsville projects where Tyson came from? The dude in the picture looks like any other dude that calls the place home.

[quote]Rodimus Black wrote:

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

EDIT: OK it appears its not ABOUT mike tyson, rather it’s directly inspired by him. Tyson and his wife are on board as producers or something. Apparently it’s aiming to be kind of like Entourage but instead of a bunch of overpaid dickheads in hollywood, it’s going to be about a juvenile delinquent in the ghetto getting his big break with boxing i guess.[/quote]

Have you walked thru the streets of NYC, or even better, thru the Brownsville projects where Tyson came from? The dude in the picture looks like any other dude that calls the place home. [/quote]

I would not draw any conclusions from a head shot. Additionally, if it is only BASED on Tyson it doesn’t matter if the actor is lighter/leaner. Now if that WAS supposed to be a Tyson look alike, he needs a lot more muscle and some really good makeup.

Regards,

Robert A