Mike Dolce

I did a forum search to see if this had been discussed. Nothing came up, which is kind of surprising. Maybe I’ve just been hit in the head too many times and don’t know how to use computers anymore.

Long post, can all be summed up with: If you’ve read Dolce’s stuff, what do you think?

Anyway, what do you folks (especially the fighters) think of him, and his diet/nutrition philosophy.

Since I started training seriously in a sports with weight classes I’ve subscribed to a modified paleo diet, i.e. paleo + rice, cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt and supplements for the most part… and not much evil fructose containing fruit. Also intermittent fasting became a big thing.

I’ve gotten good at managing my weight with this type of eating. I’ve got my cut “down”. However, as I try to push my career to the next level, I find that I don’t really have the energy to train as hard/much as I’d like. Since I’ve basically used carbs to control my weight, most of the time except right before an actual fight, I’m operating in a fairly depleted state, again as an effort to control weight mostly via carb control.

Well, Dolce has a good track record with high-level fighters, so I decided to check him out when I finally hit the point where I had to admit to myself that my nutrition was off, and I clearly don’t know as much as I thought I did. Or if I do, I’m not applying it correctly for my body.

I’m not going to give an in-depth overview of his philosophy, or specific meals/diets/cut-plans, but carbs, and especially fruit are big. Protein is relatively low. Fat is moderate. Everything should come from whole-food sources, and there are lots of meals/snacks, with an expectation that if you’re eating this way, the body with self-regulate hunger pretty effectively.

What do you folks think? I’ve been trying to ease into this, with that fear that I’ll put on too much weight eating all that sugar. Also, without a focus on specific macros, exe., other than listening to my body (and as someone who was fat for much of my teen years I’m wary of this) I’m not really sure how to regulate my body weight when I’m on a schedule where I need to make weight at pretty regular intervals…

Thoughts on his approach? Anyone have success? Criticism.

Thanks

Its relabelled paleo diet with an extra touch of pseduo science. Theres nothing magic about paleo diet, its just a mercenary way of cutting calories. Cut out the foods that people typically overeat and like to comfort eat and voila, suddenly they are losing weight! I dont know, I’m not really impressed.

The marketing scheme is that hes helped high level fighters make weight, but high level fighters have always made weight. The ones who dont is usually because they have a track record of being lazy with preparation. Rampage Jackson for example. It wasnt the dolce diet that made him stop weighing in fat, it was just having a program period.

My favorite thing about dolce is when he posted on bodybuilding.com and said “ask me anything”, the first response was

“hey mike dolce, do you suck dicks?”

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Its relabelled paleo diet with an extra touch of pseduo science. Theres nothing magic about paleo diet, its just a mercenary way of cutting calories. Cut out the foods that people typically overeat and like to comfort eat and voila, suddenly they are losing weight! I dont know, I’m not really impressed.

The marketing scheme is that hes helped high level fighters make weight, but high level fighters have always made weight. The ones who dont is usually because they have a track record of being lazy with preparation. Rampage Jackson for example. It wasnt the dolce diet that made him stop weighing in fat, it was just having a program period.

My favorite thing about dolce is when he posted on bodybuilding.com and said “ask me anything”, the first response was

[/quote]

Herp derp,
A. Dolce lets them eat carbs including pasts, I’ve seen it before.
B. To say as long as they were on any old diet they’d make weight is stuuuupid.
C. His guys stay pretty heavy, so he knows weight cutting very well too, and doesn’t do any whack dehydrating methods.
D. You’re a hater, obviously it’s marketing, but he at least gets results.

I bought his first book and honestly it sucked. I study nutrition quite a bit and there is a ton of BS out there and different things work for different people. After reading the book It sounded very Paleo to me as well. My biggest letdown on the book was that there were only a few recipies. Im not good enough at cooking to figure out how to cook that way. I need someone to hold my hand.

Also another bad point is that he doesn’t really discuss portion size or a schedule for eating. I have kind of figured that out on my own but again I want to be babied, soothed and told how to do it.

Later he came out with the Dolce Diet cookbook and I got it for Kindle. I have to say I like it a lot. That’s what I wanted, shit I can make and eat that is healthy and according to marketing it works for fighters. I always have good energy etc. I lost a good amount of fat by using that book. I keep it on my phone and I look at it when I shop so I buy what I need.

So in summary. Yes the first book sucked but I do think it is a well thought out diet. Not so different from other diets I agree. I would recommend using the cookbook and his guidelines along with basic dieting principles and you will be good.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

[/quote]

You’re not impressed with the paleo diet because you don’t know what the fuck it is.
Paleo calls for an increase in dietary fat intake which, most of the times, increases the overall caloric intake.

Grain pasta is strictly prohibited in a paleo diet.
Fruit is limited as well.
Dolce is all about pasta and fruits.

Rampage fired Dolce.

anyways, for OP…

If you’ve been already following the Paleo style diet I would suggest you stick with it. You’re diet should already be low in starchy carbs, which means your blood sugar is, more than likely, stable. Throwing heaps of sugar into your diet out of nowhere would only fuck up what you worked for… especially gluten.

But that shouldn’t stop you from trying it either. You’ll feel ‘energetic’ first couple of days from the availability of quick energy… but you’ll soon find that you become dependent on the sugars for you workouts…