T Nation

Migrating to New Zealand

Hi all,
To the Kiwis here would you recommend migrating to NZ? What are the problems you all experience there?

Is crime as big a problem as in fast paces developed countries? i am thinking of moving there (hoping to visit next year) and any insight would be welcome. Thanks.

I really liked New Zealand. Except for the schools(high school) and the woman arn’t that hot. School had the really bizzare grading system, and the uniforms(trivial). The woman were mainly Asian in the south island, and I generally do not really care for asians(looks wise). Otherwise I would say I liked Auckland the most out of all the cities. All the major cities had great food. Really really good food. Cheaper too.

I really liked Australia, didn’t have as good of food(Victoria Market kicked ass). In the touristy places, Gold Coast, It was really shitty food. But loads of Beautiful girls there. I was going during the “slow” time and it was awesome.

[quote]SeanT wrote:
I really liked New Zealand. Except for the schools(high school) and the woman arn’t that hot. School had the really bizzare grading system, and the uniforms(trivial). The woman were mainly Asian in the south island, and I generally do not really care for asians(looks wise). Otherwise I would say I liked Auckland the most out of all the cities. All the major cities had great food. Really really good food. Cheaper too.[/quote]

With relative respect…you’re insane

The grading system isn’t bizarre it’s different from the American system, that’s all. (We don’t consider a bloody ‘D’ a pass for a start).

Mainly asian woman in the South Island? (People are collapsing in hysterical laughter here when I tell them this)Are you sure you visited New Zealand and not…ummm…Japan; unless of course you ran into a lot of tour parties. NZ is predominantly euro with significant pops of Indigenous Maori. PIs, and an increasing Asian population.

Of all the NZ cities, Auckland is the most asianised; probably as it’s the largest and most internationally connected hub. The central city of Auckland is an bland, impersonal armpit with appalling traffic problems: the suburban areas are better.

Being in Wellington, I’m biased, but i reckon we’re the best place in the country; per captia - if you like food - we have more cafes/ restaurants per capita than New York.

To the original poster, what do you want to actually know? Be a bit mroe specific: either contact em off-line or continue through the thread (although I don’t really check this place enough to guarantee a resposne that way).

[quote]iscariot wrote:
SeanT wrote:
I really liked New Zealand. Except for the schools(high school) and the woman arn’t that hot. School had the really bizzare grading system, and the uniforms(trivial). The woman were mainly Asian in the south island, and I generally do not really care for asians(looks wise). Otherwise I would say I liked Auckland the most out of all the cities. All the major cities had great food. Really really good food. Cheaper too.

With relative respect…you’re insane

The grading system isn’t bizarre it’s different from the American system, that’s all. (We don’t consider a bloody ‘D’ a pass for a start).

Mainly asian woman in the South Island? (People are collapsing in hysterical laughter here when I tell them this)Are you sure you visited New Zealand and not…ummm…Japan; unless of course you ran into a lot of tour parties. NZ is predominantly euro with significant pops of Indigenous Maori. PIs, and an increasing Asian population.

Of all the NZ cities, Auckland is the most asianised; probably as it’s the largest and most internationally connected hub. The central city of Auckland is a bland, impersonal armpit with appalling traffic problems: the suburban areas are better.

Being in Wellington, I’m biased, but i reckon we’re the best place in the country; per captia - if you like food - we have more cafes/ restaurants per capita than New York.

To the original poster, what do you want to actually know? Be a bit mroe specific: either contact em off-line or continue through the thread (although I don’t really check this place enough to guarantee a resposne that way). [/quote]

Well I’m from Auckland so I can’t agree that Auckland is an ‘armpit’, although I would agree with impersonal. But then alot of cities are.

I also have to agree with you that only asains in the South Island are tourists. It is almost 100% white euorpean down there, with a lot of Scotish and Dutch history. The thing I notice the most going from Auckland (the worlds larget Pacfic Island population) to the South Island is how there are no Pacific Islanders or Asians there.

Auckland does have bad traffic and lame public transport.

I wouldn’t really say that crime was a problem.

NZ woman are very hard to get along with, not friendly, and pretty nasty and cold. Australian women are definately hotter and more friendly, but then woman from anywhere would be more friendly. None of the guys I am friends with here are in relationships with NZ women, they are all with women that have moved here from overseas, as am I.

[quote]Chris (NZ) wrote:
iscariot wrote:
SeanT wrote:
I really liked New Zealand. Except for the schools(high school) and the woman arn’t that hot. School had the really bizzare grading system, and the uniforms(trivial). The woman were mainly Asian in the south island, and I generally do not really care for asians(looks wise). Otherwise I would say I liked Auckland the most out of all the cities. All the major cities had great food. Really really good food. Cheaper too.

With relative respect…you’re insane

The grading system isn’t bizarre it’s different from the American system, that’s all. (We don’t consider a bloody ‘D’ a pass for a start).

Mainly asian woman in the South Island? (People are collapsing in hysterical laughter here when I tell them this)Are you sure you visited New Zealand and not…ummm…Japan; unless of course you ran into a lot of tour parties. NZ is predominantly euro with significant pops of Indigenous Maori. PIs, and an increasing Asian population.

Of all the NZ cities, Auckland is the most asianised; probably as it’s the largest and most internationally connected hub. The central city of Auckland is a bland, impersonal armpit with appalling traffic problems: the suburban areas are better.

Being in Wellington, I’m biased, but i reckon we’re the best place in the country; per captia - if you like food - we have more cafes/ restaurants per capita than New York.

To the original poster, what do you want to actually know? Be a bit mroe specific: either contact em off-line or continue through the thread (although I don’t really check this place enough to guarantee a resposne that way).

Well I’m from Auckland so I can’t agree that Auckland is an ‘armpit’, although I would agree with impersonal. But then alot of cities are.

I also have to agree with you that only asains in the South Island are tourists. It is almost 100% white euorpean down there, with a lot of Scotish and Dutch history. The thing I notice the most going from Auckland (the worlds larget Pacfic Island population) to the South Island is how there are no Pacific Islanders or Asians there.

Auckland does have bad traffic and lame public transport.

I wouldn’t really say that crime was a problem.

NZ woman are very hard to get along with, not friendly, and pretty nasty and cold. Australian women are definately hotter and more friendly, but then woman from anywhere would be more friendly. None of the guys I am friends with here are in relationships with NZ women, they are all with women that have moved here from overseas, as am I.

[/quote]

Dude

I think u are getting the woman confused with the sheep :smiley:

Oh leave our sheep alone while u are at it,root your own.

I reckon you should migrate their. Makes a nice change from all the kiwi’s coming over here.

what the mainly asian in the south island lol, i’m from a small town in the south island we have enough bloody americans already, all they do is make trouble by buying every damm house and putting all the prices up on every thing so the locals have to move. my advice is go and annoy the aussies.

Australia is just plain too hot.

And yes NZ sheep are better looking.

I would recommend moving to NZ only if you love the outdoors and in particular the sea. NZ has incredible access to coastal parks and beaches. I rank it as about the only real reason for moving here. Fishing, tramping, mountain climbing etc. Heaps of National Parks with great free resources.

You can earn more money in most other countries, including Asutralia, but if you love the outdoors, then NZ is the best.

LOL… each time I see this thread I cant help but think of Lewis Black’s bit on new zealand.

[quote]Chris (NZ) wrote:
Well I’m from Auckland so I can’t agree that Auckland is an ‘armpit’.[/quote]

As I’m Wellington born and bred, my antipathy to Auckland is genetic. :slight_smile:

That, and it’s an armpit chuckle

I’ll pass that along to my wife grin

Kiwi woman are as hot as anywhere else, they do, however [1] tend towards the slightly conservative at times and [2] Every damn male on the planet has been bombarded with images of easy access Hollywood bimbos and porn stars and, as a result, anyone who’s not brazillianed and spreads on command is considered ‘not hot’ - really this isn’t the case.

It is true, however, that NZ women are notoriously no B/S, straight-up and hard as nails with the critical thing; that being said, they can take too - so if your woman is being a bitch you can tell her that to her face adn she won’t have an emotional crisis and require counselling.

Frankly, give me that instead of a pretty, emotional basketcase.

Why come to NZ?
Good people - pretty friendly and easygoing. Good wine and food. Great outdoors lifestyle. Steady supply of sheep for the Australian tourists. Politics are pretty middle of the road and consensual (no nutters in power) and society as a whole lets the idiots speak freely without letting them get any power.

Why Stay Away?
Many Kiwis could whine for the planet at an intergalactic olympics. Too much sense of entitlement (but you’d get that from the US too), apathy, close-minded-regionalism. Responsiblity averse…and…Auckland (it’s an armpit)…sorry, couldn’t resist.

money would be the number one factor people wouldnt move to new zealand… . there is no money here unless you work in the oil industry and tons of people are coming down here for those jobs every day… . you can get twice as much money and pay the same living expenses in australia while also getting far better weather. …

I think alot of foreigners are really idolizing new zealand as place with something you cant find in one form or another else where… . atm its just another western culture with mcdonalds and starbucks on every corner. …

[quote]iscariot wrote:
SeanT wrote:
I really liked New Zealand. Except for the schools(high school) and the woman arn’t that hot. School had the really bizzare grading system, and the uniforms(trivial). The woman were mainly Asian in the south island, and I generally do not really care for asians(looks wise). Otherwise I would say I liked Auckland the most out of all the cities. All the major cities had great food. Really really good food. Cheaper too.

With relative respect…you’re insane

The grading system isn’t bizarre it’s different from the American system, that’s all. (We don’t consider a bloody ‘D’ a pass for a start).

Mainly asian woman in the South Island? (People are collapsing in hysterical laughter here when I tell them this)Are you sure you visited New Zealand and not…ummm…Japan; unless of course you ran into a lot of tour parties. NZ is predominantly euro with significant pops of Indigenous Maori. PIs, and an increasing Asian population.

Of all the NZ cities, Auckland is the most asianised; probably as it’s the largest and most internationally connected hub. The central city of Auckland is an bland, impersonal armpit with appalling traffic problems: the suburban areas are better.

Being in Wellington, I’m biased, but i reckon we’re the best place in the country; per captia - if you like food - we have more cafes/ restaurants per capita than New York.

To the original poster, what do you want to actually know? Be a bit mroe specific: either contact em off-line or continue through the thread (although I don’t really check this place enough to guarantee a resposne that way). [/quote]

I thought NZQA was pretty lame, none of the work before matters, except the finals. Wellington wasn’t that asian, but boy oh boy ChristChurch was. You been the Chopsticks? Denidin(sp) wasn’t either. Wellington was nice, but too windy for my tastes. If it had been warmer, I would of really liked it. My dad was inlove with one of the cafe/bakeries there as that was the only place he could find Sourdough bread. Forget what it was, but it was on the corner of the street, brown bags with the logo on it. Pretty big for a bakery. You’ve probably been there.

I was thinking of studying in australia. Problem is a hate spiders with a passion, well not really a hate, more like a gripping fear. Are bugs a problem over there?

Hi guys,
thanks for the replies.I am from an island in the caribbean and married with two daughters. the beaches will be like home. the women, well i like looking at attractive ones (dont discriminate on race). is the quality of life as hyped up as the government web sites make it sound? i am thinking of my childrens future and want them to grow up in a safe society with decent morals and a positive future. getting rich is not high on the agenda but how do the jobs in fitness training pay? i work on a petrochemical plant now but would like to change careers.

NZ is a beautiful country and is hard to find a fat person there.

Whatever makes you think spiders are a problem? No worse than any other country.

Yeah after reading my post it might have sounded a little harsh about NZ women.

There are certainly alot of beautiful nz women. My real point was that when you don’t know a kiwi girl they can be very hard to get to know. But once you know them they are usually fine.

NZ has no snakes, and no big or poisonous spiders. There a are very small ones that are common around the garden etc, but you would never see them unless you are looking for them.

Most personal trainers charge by the hour. $40 to $60 an hour seems to be common. But I haven’t seen many that do more than 3 or 4 clients a day. But I guess that could still be $1000 a week.

I was talking about Australia having big spiders, like the Banana Spider. I could see New Zealand not having as much since it’s climate and ecology is different.

[quote]Chris (NZ) wrote:
Yeah after reading my post it might have sounded a little harsh about NZ women.

There are certainly alot of beautiful nz women. My real point was that when you don’t know a kiwi girl they can be very hard to get to know. But once you know them they are usually fine.

NZ has no snakes, and no big or poisonous spiders. There a are very small ones that are common around the garden etc, but you would never see them unless you are looking for them.

Most personal trainers charge by the hour. $40 to $60 an hour seems to be common. But I haven’t seen many that do more than 3 or 4 clients a day. But I guess that could still be $1000 a week.

[/quote]

What about jobs in IT, particularly computer software?

[quote]TKL.ca wrote:
I was talking about Australia having big spiders, like the Banana Spider. I could see New Zealand not having as much since it’s climate and ecology is different.

[/quote]

I’ve never heard of the Banana Spider,LOL!

Most of our “big” spiders are the harmless ones. It’s the small and medium sized ones that are bad for you e.g. redback (usually causes a lot of pain but rarely kills), white-tail (causes really bad things to happen to your flesh around the bite site) and the big daddy of them all, the Sydney funnel-web (just regarded as the deadliest spider in the world!).

Seriously though, you have to stop seeing Australia just through what you might watch on the Discovery Channel and the Crocodile Hunter. Most Aussie cities aren’t very different to what you find in America, and you have to be really unlucky to get bitten by any of our nasty creatures.

Oh, and just to clarify another myth that seem to prevail overseas, we DON’T have kangaroos hopping down the streets either, but New Zealand might have a few sheep wandering down theirs…