(Mighty) Stu Yellin, WNBF Pro Updates n Q&A

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Stu is there a macro breakdown you prefer for yourself and/or clients?

I assume that as one progresses it may change but, is there a preferred starting point?[/quote]

Hey, sorry for the delay, real life just rears its head sometimes :slight_smile:

I always get as accurate a food log of any new client as I can. Itā€™s very important to know what theyā€™re doing NOW, and how it has played into their current physical consition. Iā€™ve had people completely shocked at the final #s when I take their quickly scribbled food logs and actually put accurate #s to them. Some think theyā€™re eating a lot more than they are, while others and completely overeating while thinking theyā€™re starving themselves.

What youā€™ll notice, and this is a generalization of course, is that more sedentary folks tend to handle carbs less efficiently than more active, or leaner individuals. So taking this into account, it does play in to some degree when Iā€™m planning.

Still, I always TRY my best to incorporate as many carbs as I can, but again, with so many individual variations, you need to always be prepared with alternative approaches to just taking a ton of carbs, spreading 'em evenly, and then just ensuring youā€™re in a caloric deficit.

An approach Iā€™ve repeated over the years is to first set protein intake (usually 1-1.25g/lb on average), then ensure enough healthy fats for proper functioning and health (usually 10-20% depending on the individual), and then TRY to fill the rest with carbs. OF COURSE THIS ALMOST NEVER WORKS PERFECTLY LIKE THIS -lol

S

Hey Stu,

By any chance were you at the Natural Mania this weekend in NYC? Sept 19th? I could of sworn I heard the host, Nancy Andrews, shout you out.

Oscar

[quote]parrao79 wrote:
Hey Stu,

By any chance were you at the Natural Mania this weekend in NYC? Sept 19th? I could of sworn I heard the host, Nancy Andrews, shout you out.

Oscar[/quote]

Lol yeah, I was! Nancy really likes acknowledging the judges and current/former Pros. CAnt say I mind, I always seem to come away from contests with my new clients :slight_smile:

Say hi next time!

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]parrao79 wrote:
Hey Stu,

Oscar[/quote]

Lol yeah, I was! Nancy really likes acknowledging the judges and current/former Pros. CAnt say I mind, I always seem to come away from contests with my new clients :slight_smile:

Say hi next time!

S
[/quote]

Yea definitely! Iā€™ll be in CT on October 17th for their contest. But cool, next time i hear you over the speakers Iā€™ll make sure to look for you! haha

So I got a phone message the other day from a Long Island (I think,ā€¦ Definitely NY based) publication asking if I would be interested in doing a monthly column.

Apparently they had seen my seminars and knew who I was and wanted someone to do a little fitness and nutrition based piece for each issue. Iā€™ve certainly never held dreams of being a ā€œfitness authorā€ or anything, but from an advertising and PR point of view, this could be a definite good thing :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll let you guys know how things go. She editor already sent me a very complimentary letter on my first submitted piece, so fingers are crossed.

S

Always read through your logs and updates when Iā€™m in need of some motivation. Keep up the awesome work!

If you ever do publish an article(s), be sure to drop a link here, would love to read it!

[quote]Kyle09 wrote:
Always read through your logs and updates when Iā€™m in need of some motivation. Keep up the awesome work!

If you ever do publish an article(s), be sure to drop a link here, would love to read it! [/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. My latest pieces are certainly geared towards a more mainstream audience than most on here, but I will say that the last few months (since I stared my monthly column), I have seen the number of ā€œunique visitorsā€ to my site jump a very substantial amount.

I have also had my writing in past issues of Natutal Bodybuilding & Fitness as well as on a few other sites and of course an old e-book that I eventually started giving away for free simply for the added PR.

You can always count on my continued fielding of questions here though, Iā€™ve been here so long Iā€™m practically furniture.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
So I got a phone message the other day from a Long Island (I think,ā€¦ Definitely NY based) publication asking if I would be interested in doing a monthly column.

Apparently they had seen my seminars and knew who I was and wanted someone to do a little fitness and nutrition based piece for each issue. Iā€™ve certainly never held dreams of being a ā€œfitness authorā€ or anything, but from an advertising and PR point of view, this could be a definite good thing :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll let you guys know how things go. She editor already sent me a very complimentary letter on my first submitted piece, so fingers are crossed.

S
[/quote]

Thatā€™s awesome to hear, Stu. Keep us posted.

Hey Stu,

Great reading through this thread and all your contest threads so much good info here.

Not to sure if this was mentioned during your offseason before your injuries were you following a carb cycle plan? or were you just eating a good portion of each macros. I have started to incorporate low med high plan, feel like its working well.

OSTIJ: When I was offseason, while I may not have always adhered 100% of a macro breakdown as if I was seriously prepping for a contest, I was very conscious about my carb intake on rest days vs serious/I think Iā€™m gonna die - training days.

I will say that after being so meticulous during a well planned and monitored cut, you do get very good at eyeballing your meals and even keeping a fairly good idea of where youā€™re at while your day progresses. And yes, I do believe that cyclical diet approaches bring a lot of positive benefits with them.

S

Well, I canā€™t link up to a print publication, but since Iā€™m getting such increased traffic to my own site recently, I threw a few of the articles up just to satiate all the ā€œuniqueā€ visitors Iā€™m now getting.

If youā€™re interested, my own site is pretty easy to find (I know posting links is a fuzzy issue here), and of course I always appreciate any thoughts, feedback or suggestions as well :slightly_smiling:

S

I know I havenā€™t updated this thread in a while. I guess my not really being onstage, and my own training sometimes taking a backseat to having a child makes for some less than hardcore stories.

Still, being quite active as a judge, and coach, (plus a little fledgling podcast!) I like to think Iā€™m very much involved in the sport even without the fake tan and speedo.

A cool little story; this past weekend my good friend Arash competed in the New York Pro in the new Classic Division, and not only won (beating former great Darrem Charles), but sealed his entry into the Olympia this Fall. Actually, he had already won his Olympia ticket by winning the Pittsburgh Pro a couple of weeks ago, but this one was a real big deal. Following the various online forums, play by plays, and even social media as they describe your good buddy as the ā€œguy to beatā€ going into the Olympia is just wild.

Hanging in his hotel room as Aceto gave him last minutes assessments was also pretty cool, as it was reading all of Chrisā€™s books and articles in Flex magazine that got my young mind first interested in the actual science behind the giant ripped bodies that stalked the contest stage.

And of course, Arash, Brad Grunner and myself sitting around the hotel restaurant into the late hours of the night, reflecting on the contest and planning for the future,ā€¦ well, itā€™s just one of those memorable scenes.

Brad snapped this shot of me giving Arash what I termed the ā€œCan You Believe This Guy?!ā€ pose -lol

S

still looking pretty big, Stu. Get back on stage and show these youngsters how itā€™s done

I saw that, and was wondering if you were around for it, with him being on your podcast and all. I saw the news and thought ā€œWell damn, thats the guy Stu and Brad host the podcast withā€

Lol, Appreciate the compliment, but Iā€™m juggling so many things these days, the last thing I need to do is put my training before everything else. I am hoping to really dial things in a bit better this summer. With a new job placement this past year, my focus was really on that and taking care of my son, getting to the gym as much as I could, but some days my nutrition was less than what I would have preferred.

Of course hanging out with Arash and even Juliana pretty regularly does make me realize that Iā€™m certainly not carrying the same size as I was just a couple of years back,ā€¦ so the itch is still there :slight_smile:

S

how big are you walking around at these days? Are you still judging?

Yeah, hopefully the fact that weā€™re all close friends comes across in the videos/podcasts. Every time the three of us hang out, itā€™s just a bodybuilding-centric evening (which the wives/GFā€™s donā€™t always appreciate -lol).

For the first one we recorded, actually sat around discussing all sorts of theories and the latest industry gossip for about 4 hours until Arash pointed out that we really should be recording ourselves :slight_smile:

Hopefully we hit our stride and people continue to listen in. I see so much stuff online, and while thereā€™s a good amount of entertainment to be found, I was joking with Brad the other day that between the three of us, the amount of degrees, and contest wins (+ pro cards) has got to trump the majority of other groups of people chiming in every few weeks with their ā€œexpertā€ opinions.

S

Stu, where is your podcast at? Definitely want to listen in.

This thread has several of the podcasts from the Youtube channel.

I will come out with the next one very soon.