Middle Eastern Racism

That’s because all the Somalis in Maine are all bundled in LL Bean parkas and duck boots, gathered around the space heaters, looking out at the window at 8 feet of snow saying to each other “Why the fuck did we move here? This eternal winter shit is for stupid white people!”

So, no one knows they are there.

1 Like

After a few weeks of negative 20 f temperatures, the warlords don’t seem so bad.

1 Like

yo question. Compared to america, do yall think the gulf countries teach young students about their country’s dark history. I think america does it pretty well. I believe that helps fight racism too. at this point im just thinking that they aren’t discussing racism, and are trying to give the impression that since racism is against islam that they aren’t a country with a racist history. So they don’t talk about racism and etc.

I was searching up some stuff about afro palestinians and i found an article that was intereting.

here is something that interested me
“When I spoke to some white Palestinians they denied that black people were ever slaves in the region, and said that rather they had been soldiers of the Ottoman Empire. When I pointed out that this was not the case, one man almost whispered to me ‘we never talk about it’. Yet, white Palestinians by persisting in calling people of African origin 'abed, perpetuate discrimination.”
http://yajaffar.tripod.com/african.html#
The website^

You many not know it, but you’ve won a lottery by being born and raised in the US. I’m saying this as a non-American.

US of A has many faults, but for a Somali, life is a million times better than everywhere else, including the Gulf States.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure you concerned by some issues in the US, such as racism and the hardening of attitudes of the general population for those practicing Islam. Those are valid concerns, but they’re First world problems. How would your conversation with a Libyan Arab in Libya play out?

“I was called a n-word while playing Call of Duty”
“Fascinating. Tell me more while we’re waiting to auction you off”

Frankly, you’d be in for a massive cultural shock. You’d discover, that regardless of your religion, race or ethnicity you’re an American. Simply, the culture, behavior and the values system are completely different. Not to mention spectacular levels of racism you’d encounter.

It’s a fairly standard experience, for all hypen Americans, whether they’re Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, Arab-Americans, convinced that their heritage defines them and sets them apart from other Americans… It takes a visit to the Motherland to understand how completely alien it is to them and how much American they actually are.

Absolutely not. It’s filled with self-pity and invented acts of heroism.

For a nice summary, here’s a nice excerpt from John Dolan’s musing on his time spent as an ESOL teacher in Saudi Arabia.

Most important of all, it’s a Shi’a town. I didn’t realize how big a deal that was, in my first month there. I was too busy being angry at everything around me. That’s how it is when you hit Saudi, believe me. It’s nothing as simple as “Islamophobia,” although the Lefties would love to call it that. I’d like to see them tell it to the Muslim Pakistanis or Indians or Bangladeshis or Moroccans who were the cheerleaders when the expats had their Saudi-hating bull sessions. Nobody hates the Saudis as much as their fellow Muslims, because they—some of them, anyway—expect Muslim solidarity. And when they find out there’s no such thing, they get seriously hurt, then mad.

1 Like

We are both very fortunate…

1 Like

There truly aren’t enough tears available for all the horrors that have and continue to occur in Africa.
I am truly happy for these guys though, thanks for sharing two…

1 Like

Speaking of Mauritania, two friends of mine are traversing Mauritania in a Tesla as we speak (yes, Mauritania in a Tesla) and just sent me some short observations from the ground - it seems that except some mining (mostly excavating iron ore) the main economic activity is slavery, despite being outlawed “many times”. Mauritania provides the bulk of black slaves sold in Libyan markets.

The population is divided into three castes - Arabs or “Moors”, Haratin or “black Moors” (darker skin tone, also speak Arabic) whom the Arabs hate for being “black” and black Africans at the bottom whom the first two groups jointly hate for being “really, really black” and keep as slaves. All three groups are Sunnites.

Allegedly it’s quite an experience seeing it first hand.

2 Likes

Ain’t tribalism a bitch? At least they have the honesty to call it slavery. The indentured servants in East Asia and the ME are slaves in all but name. I like how they steal and hold the victim’s passport.

I’ve been taught to call them black americans if they are black and from america; however, usually I just call them Americans or if the race is important, then I would say black man or woman. This is in Texas.

1 Like

I only use the term “African-American” when I’m talking about Charlize Theron. I don’t want anyone getting confused…

6 Likes

It’s not just limited to slaves - I’ve had to hand over my passport when I came to Saudi Arabia - despite the fact that at the time I was working for one of the largest construction companies in the world. Fortunately, the company was always at hand and could have exerted pressure (bribed the right people) if something went wrong. If you come as an independent contractor - well, I have some horror stories for you…

The guy on the right is Namibia’s most famous rapper - he’s ethnic German, descendant of 19th century settlers. He described how, upon coming to Germany for the first time in his twenties, he couldn’t operate the train ticket vending machine on the airport. On the verge of tears he pleaded passers by to help him saying “I’ve never seen a machine like this, I’m from Africa” and everyone looked at him like he was deranged.

6 Likes

Josh Blue won last comic standing in 2006. He was born in Cameroon to American parents. Which makes him African-American. He does a whole skit about it. He worked his cerebral palsy into the act as well.

220px-Josh_Blue_by_Bryce_Boyer

1 Like

That is incorrect. It makes him Cameroonian-American.

I’ve seen him live, he’s very funny. Pretty much everybody is hesitant to make fun of Special Olympics or people with disabilities for good reasons, except for the fact that he has cerebral palsy so its fair game. He had a lot of good material, made for a fun night.

1 Like

Yea, that’s sure to have them rolling in the aisle …

You’re lucky you weren’t killed. They were probably part of the IDF’s new Elite Female Stripper Death Squad (to go with our killer sharks, trained spy birds, and ill-tempered sea bass):

According to an Al-Hayat Al-Jadida front page report, the IDF has turned to using armed, female strippers in its war on upstanding Palestinian boys. The newspaper reports that when the Arab rock-throwing begins, IDF soldiers run for cover. Then, the story continues, after some time of hiding, an Israeli woman stands up on top of a barricade and begins to perform an alluring strip tease. Innocent Arab teenage boys, distracted from the business of rioting, are enticed to approach, when, according to the newspaper, the woman ? an IDF soldier ? shoots them with a pistol she had hidden in her underwear.

3 Likes

That’s just not right.

2 Likes

Actually, “the Jews” and “Zionists” is a common explanation for all kinds of phenomena in the Arab world, including but not limited to earthquakes, epidemics, adverse weather conditions, traffic jams, illnesses…

I vividly remember a conference call with a Gulf client in which I was filling in for a sick colleague:

Me:“Unfortunately, X won’t be joining us today because he had a medical emergency”
They: (anxiously) “Was it the Zionists? Did they poison him?”
Me: “Ummm…er…I don’t think so”

4 Likes

Is all Palestinian news this funny?

2 Likes

One can only hope!