T Nation

Middle Back Training

Hi CT,

What would be your recommended work out for developing the middle back ? Basically the muscles which have poor mind muscle connection like the Rhomboids/Middle Traps & lower Traps.

Which exercises should be used to develop these ? What frequency ? Sets/Reps ?

Are their any tips using which we can establish the mind muscle connection or develop these muscles in isolation.

Thanks,
Abhi.

[quote]abhi152 wrote:
Hi CT,

What would be your recommended work out for developing the middle back ? Basically the muscles which have poor mind muscle connection like the Rhomboids/Middle Traps & lower Traps.

Are their any tips using which we can establish the mind muscle connection or develop these muscles in isolation.

Thanks,
Abhi.[/quote]

I’ll be totally honest with you. If you do not know me you should know that I’m a minimalist who trains for size by using performance training. I rarely do any isolation exercise at all.

One of my main movement is the snatch-grip high pull from blocks, which is great for making the whole back a lot thicker. If I do isolation work for the mid-back it is mostly VERY slow band pull aparts done between sets of a big movement.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]abhi152 wrote:
Hi CT,

Thanks,
Abhi.[/quote]

I’ll be totally honest with you. If you do not know me you should know that I’m a minimalist who trains for size by using performance training. I rarely do any isolation exercise at all.

One of my main movement is the snatch-grip high pull from blocks, which is great for making the whole back a lot thicker. If I do isolation work for the mid-back it is mostly VERY slow band pull aparts done between sets of a big movement.[/quote]

Thanks CT :slight_smile:

I have been following you around for more than an year now and read both of your books as well. My question was for someone who has middle back as a problem area compared to the other parts of his back.

I do pullups/Pendlay Rows and Deadlifts but some how the lower/middle traps and Rhomboids have gone for a toss. I will admit, I don’t do snatch grip high pulls. Surely will add them to my plan as well.

[quote]abhi152 wrote:

[quote]abhi152 wrote:
Hi CT,

Thanks,
Abhi.[/quote]

One of my main movement is the snatch-grip high pull from blocks, which is great for making the whole back a lot thicker. If I do isolation work for the mid-back it is mostly VERY slow band pull aparts done between sets of a big movement.[/quote]

I have been following you around for more than an year now and read both of your books as well. My question was for someone who has middle back as a problem area compared to the other parts of his back.

I do pullups/Pendlay Rows and Deadlifts but some how the lower/middle traps and Rhomboids have gone for a toss. I will admit, I don’t do snatch grip high pulls. Surely will add them to my plan as well.
[/quote]

A properly done snatch-grip high pull is the most powerful movement to change your physique in a short amount of time… really focus on rolling the chest up in the start position… that actually nail the mid and lower traps.

[quote]abhi152 wrote:

[quote]abhi152 wrote:
Hi CT,

Thanks,
Abhi.[/quote]

[/quote]

A properly done snatch-grip high pull is the most powerful movement to change your physique in a short amount of time… really focus on rolling the chest up in the start position… that actually nail the mid and lower traps.[/quote]
How do you recommend doing these. Mid shin to start and finish each rep? Strictly from the hang each rep? What rep range?

[quote]abhi152 wrote:
Hi CT,

Thanks,
Abhi.[/quote]

I’ve wondered about the same thing, but more specifically I have a problem with overactive upper traps, it’s hard to retract my shoulder blades under a load without shrugging my shoulders up, do you have any good ways to correct this?

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]abhi152 wrote:
Hi CT,

Thanks,
Abhi.[/quote]

I’ve wondered about the same thing, but more specifically I have a problem with overactive upper traps, it’s hard to retract my shoulder blades under a load without shrugging my shoulders up, do you have any good ways to correct this?[/quote]

My upper traps are basically dominating everything in my body and I have no issues with it… you want to first tense the mid back, then tilt the chest up and pull your shoulders down.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:

[quote]abhi152 wrote:

[quote]abhi152 wrote:
Hi CT,

Thanks,
Abhi.[/quote]

[/quote]

A properly done snatch-grip high pull is the most powerful movement to change your physique in a short amount of time… really focus on rolling the chest up in the start position… that actually nail the mid and lower traps.[/quote]
How do you recommend doing these. Mid shin to start and finish each rep? Strictly from the hang each rep? What rep range? [/quote]

From blocks above knees. I use my layer system when it comes to the high pulls and in their case it is basically alternating gradually heavier singles (max ramp) and 3-5 reps with 85-90%. (taking some time between reps is fine) in one workout.