T Nation

Mid Hand Pain

Hi guys,

First post here, so I apologise if this is in the wrong place (mods feel free to move it).

I’ve been olympic lifting for about 2 years now, and a few months ago had a bit of an issue dumping the bar on a front squat. As I dumped it, my right wrist stayed where it was, and I heard a huge crunch.
I went and got x-rayed (twice, 2 weeks apart), and there are no fractures (thought maybe scaphoid, but it’s fine), and my doctor suggested I had injured the tendon leading up my thumb.

2 months later, I get no pain for most things - in fact, I can deadlift fine, open grip press/jerk fine, but when the bar is in the rack position of the clean, or overhead in a snatch grip, I get serious pains from my midhand down into my wrist below the base of my thumb.

I had rested for 6 weeks after doing it, as I also had bursitis in the same elbow, and got a cortisone injection for that, and rest did nothing for it, so I’m open to other suggestions.
Wrist straps do little good for it at all.

Any help in diagnosing/fixing/relieving it much appreciated!

You could try upping your Fish Oil which acts as an NSAID(Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory). This is also good fats for your brain and heart. So not a bag thing. Take up to 10 grams a day.

You could also visit an acupuncturist and see if they cannot help.

If you were close I would treat you with acupuncture and liniments to help.

It doesn’t really feel like inflammation though, it’s more of a stabbing pain. I’ll give it a go though. I’m willing to try anything right now!

Stabbing pain means there is some sort of trauma that occurred and something is amiss with the soft tissue of the hand injured.

Where are you located in the UK?

I would want you to go see an acupuncturist/herbalist for your hand.

Let me know how I can be of service to you.

I’m in Belfast, Northern Ireland!
I don’t mean to sound rude, but I’m somewhat skeptical of acupuncturists. Could you give me more explanation of what it would entail, and how it would help?
Thanks for taking the time to help me though, I really appreciate it!