T Nation

Mid-College Crisis D-1 Football Log

A little background... In high school I was a track and field athlete running mostly the 200m and 400m, I ran the 800m every now and again. I earned All-American honors my senior year and took a track scholarship to one of the premier "Track Schools" in the nation. When I arrived it was decided by the coaches I was to move up to the 800m and train with the distance coach, this proved to be a complete failure and resulted in 3 stress fractures in my right foot during my freshman year.

My sophomore year I was immobilized all fall and resumed training with the 400m group in January, in an effort to make up for lost time I pushed very had and eventually one of my stress fractures came back effectively ending my season before it even started. Between my athletic struggles and some personal struggles I decided with the coach that it was time to hang up the spikes and focus on academics... and that's where I am now.

I have missed track and field this fall but I had an epiphany that I need to go a different direction. My greatest regret from high school was never playing football and I do not want to make the same mistake in college. While participating in Strength & Conditioning for Track I sparked some interest from the football staff due to my advanced level of strength beyond most of the football players my size. Considering all these factors I have decided to attempt to walk-on to my schools team for the 2012 season despite no football experience, the odds are against me especially considering the caliber of the team but I have faced tougher odds before.

I have about 3 months before pre-season conditioning workouts begin, so this post will be about where I am and where I want to be as far as raw strength.
Now 3-Month Goal
Height: 6'1'' 6'1''
Weight: 180 lbs 195 lbs
Squat: 365 lbs 405 lbs
Deadlift: 395 lbs 425 lbs
225lbs Bench: 4 Reps 15 Reps

Some additional points of interest:
+I had a 60 inch box jump pr in high school and I would like to return to that level.
+I would like to be close to 11' in the standing broad jump in 3 months.
+My linear speed is as good or better than everbody on the team currently I just need to get my lateral and multi-directional speed up to par.
+I did extensive olympic lifting in high school and am a huge fan(210 lb snatch and 255 clean @165bw), but for this 3 month period I need to trim anything but the basics and focus my energy on that.
+I squat deep, very deep, ass to grass deep, and I strongly believe there is no other way to squat but I will occasionally use box squats and denote them as such in the log.
+I tend to get lazy with core work and I cannot let that happen for the next 3 months.
+I just started lifting upperbody wise because it was not needed for track, so I stand to make the largest gains in that category.

Day 1 (11/14/2011)
Workout 1:
10 Minutes Jogging
Dynamic Drills
3X4X15m Sled Pulls @10lbs with 90s between reps and 5 minutes between sets

Workout 2:
10 Minutes Stationary Bike
Warm Up Sets
4X8 Squat @255lbs
4X8 RDL's @165lbs
4X8 Back Extensions @45lbs
4X8 Single Leg Lying Hamstring Curls @45lbs
2X8 Decline Sit Ups @25lbs
2X8 Oblique Machine @75lbs

Move to Maryland and I will get you to where you want to be. I have a lot of experience training college football players. Let me know if you need any training advice.

Good luck buddy. I'll be following your log.

Day 2 (11/15/2011)
Workout 1:
15 Minutes Stationary Bike
3X3 Bench Press 225lbs
3X3 Pulldowns @225lbs
2X8 DB Incline Press @80lbs
2X8 Row @160lbs
3X12 Tricep Pressdowns @100lbs
3X8 Bicep Cable Curs @80lbs
2X10 Lateral Raises @20lb

Workout 2:
10 Minutes Warm Up Run
Dynamic Drills
6X Strides with 90s recovery

Not sure if you are being serious about moving to Maryland but that really isn't an option for me at the moment. I would howerver, totally appreciate any feedback on my log.

If you squat so much, why are you using such a low percentage of your max during training?
We have roughly the same squat max, and 225x8 would barely be a warm-up for me.

Also, what position are you planning on playing?
Do you have any prior experience with football? It's a lot more than just being big and fast, each position has it's own special and individual skill-sets that need to be mastered, are you working on football specific training?
And lastly, and most importantly, what are you eating every day?

I ask so many questions because I'm eager to follow this log, and I hope you succeed.
I'm working towards the same goal, so I'm excited to see what you find useful, and what I can contribute.

I think you may have misread my post it says 255...hmmm I don't know what to say otherwise

I am looking at primarly free safety but I feel I could be used in a multitude of positions. In all probability if I make the team I would likely be used as a roll player on the scout team. In high school I participated in some run thrus and drills without pads but I ultimately decided to focus on track so that is the extent of my participation. Howerver I would consider myself extremly "football literate", I understand coverages and assignments. During my training I will be doing football specific work, I am in the process of getting that orchestrated so I cannot speak to the extent that I will be doing drills.

This is probably going to come as a quite a shock but I am mostly vegan, but I do not consider this at all an issue.

Day 3 (11/16/2011)
Workout 1:
10 Minutes Jogging
Dynamic Drills
3X5 Reactive Broad Jumps
3X10 Lateral Hops

Workout 2:
Warm Up Sets
4X8 Squat @255lbs
4X8 RDL's @165lbs
4X8 Back Extensions @45lbs
4X8 Single Leg Lying Hamstring Curls @50lbs
4X8 Oblique Machine @75lbs

I wish you the best.
I'll be following :smiley:

Hey man... one of my former former teammates & friend started his college career similar to you... no football scolly... there for track

long story short he had a great NFL career, went from walk on to 4th round pick to a premier NFL cornerback

Ray McElroy... look him up bro

Thanks man!
I would totally appreciate any insight you can add along the way.

Yea man, what I am doing is possible and dudes like your bud Ray prove it as much.

Day 4 (11/17/2011)
Workout 1:
15 Minutes Stationary Bike
Dynamic Drills
Barbell Complex

Workout 2:
Dynamic Drills
Lateral Movement Drills
2X10 Dips
2X10 Pull Ups

Day 5 (11/18/2011)