T Nation

Mid-Bench Sticking Point

This weekend, I hit a significant PR- first time I’d benched bodyweight since I was 14. 270 pounds at high twenties % bodyfat, so I was rather pleased. Anyway, I then tried 275, and stalled in the middle of the lift.

This has traditionally been my sticking point. The bar comes off my chest fine, albeit slowly, and lockout has never been an issue. Its just the six inches right in the middle of the life that kills me.

My question is; in you humble opinions, would working on bar speed off my chest to blast through that point be more beneficial, or should I concentrate on board presses to smooth out the bar speed throught the middle of the lift? Thanks!

whats wrong with doing both?

[quote]Crispyknight wrote:
My question is; in you humble opinions, would working on bar speed off my chest to blast through that point be more beneficial, or should I concentrate on board presses to smooth out the bar speed throught the middle of the lift? Thanks![/quote]

Both.
Look into a Westside template with ME days with board presses, and dynamic days pressing off your chest. If I had to pick one, I’d do board presses 4-5 inches off my chest, or bench with chains.

Yes, both, but if I had to pick one, board presses. Your weakness is your tricep strength (the point where your lats can’t help anymore). With greater speed, you’ll be given more momentum, but tricep strength imo is what you really need. So 4 plate board presses!!