Microwaved Food Dangerous?

"Some of the earliest research into the effects of microwaved food was conducted in the 1950s in Russia. That research indicated bigger dangers than destruction of nutrients.

Russian researchers found that people who ate microwaved foods had a statistically higher incidence of stomach and intestinal cancers, a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues, and a gradual breakdown of the digestive and excretory systems. Due to chemical alterations within the food, they had lymphatic malfunctions, causing a degeneration of the body�??s immune system.

For instance, microwaving milk and cereal grains converted some of their amino acids into carcinogens, thawing frozen fruits converted their glucoside and galactoside containing fractions into carcinogenic substances, and carcinogenic free radicals were formed in microwaved plants, especially root vegetables. They also reported structural degradation leading to decreased availability of Vitamins B, C, E and essential minerals at a rate of 60 to 90 percent in all foods tested."

http://www.life.ca/nl/103/microwave.html

A lot of the above was confirmed by Spanish and Swiss researchers, as the link will show.

That was a pretty dang interesting read. That’s a good find you’ve made, HH. My only concern is the objectivity with which the publisher could treat such a topic. Had that magazine not published that article, it wouldn’t be a huge leap to assume they’d take that kind of stance.

Interesting stuff and rather scary if true. Does anyone know of any other reaserch done in this area? as i would be very interested to read it. Surely with the amount of microwaved food we all consume in our lives we would be able to recognize direct corolation with intestinal problems?

I stay away from nuking food as much as possible. If and when I do, I don’t nuke with plastic containers, always glass and would never throw in anything over a minutes time. Plastic will alter the dna of the food.

[quote]dragonslayer wrote:
I stay away from nuking food as much as possible. If and when I do, I don’t nuke with plastic containers, always glass and would never throw in anything over a minutes time. Plastic will alter the dna of the food.[/quote]

Yeah… per the Johns Hopkins link from Snopes, it isn’t the dioxins and carcinogens you need to worry about, it’s the phthalates…

snip:
Having said this, there is another group of chemicals, called phthalates that are sometimes added to plastics to make them flexible and less brittle. Phthalates are environmental contaminants that can exhibit hormone-like behavior by acting as endocrine disruptors in humans and animals. If you heat up plastics, you could increase the leaching of phthalates from the containers into water and food. /snip

mmmm mmmm good…

In Soviet Russia, microwaved food eats you!

I was thinking the same thing Pookie…

So in theory, if a woman wanted larger bosoms, all she’d have to do would be eat lots of processed chicken, cooked in a microwave while covered in plastic wrap preferably, and make sure her plastic bottled water or other beverage changed hot and cold temps a few times…

Boom! All the growth hormone and plasticky estrogen-ish stuff you could ever want!

Maybe…

No I wasn’t just thinking of that at work, not at all…

60 years old research conducted on Soviet technology… That’s exactly the parameters I prefer when I’m looking for exacting science.

And calling it “nuking food” gives the false impression that the “radiation” from microwaves is the same as the “radiation” from atomic bombs and the like. I mean, technically, they are the same, in that both microwaves and gamma rays are forms of electromagnetic radiation, but then, so is visible light, and you never hear people asking about whether they’re getting “irradiated” by standing too close to a light bulb.

That’s right! and don’t get me started on metal and smoke detectors, or especially tritium on watches and gun sights…

OH NOES!!

Meh…

My suspicion would be that the ills ascribed to microwave cooking are the same as any other form of cooking… and no, I’m not advocating a movement to raw foods.

[quote]pookie wrote:
In Soviet Russia, microwaved food eats you!

[/quote]

Hahahaha, classic.

Great avi Dragonslayer.

1950’s Russia. They had microwaves that cooked food for consumption in Russia… in the 1950’s.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

[quote]kroby wrote:
1950’s Russia. They had microwaves that cooked food for consumption in Russia… in the 1950’s.

Riiiiiiiiiight.[/quote]

Along with cable TV and high speed internet. It was a real workers paradise.

[quote]kroby wrote:

Riiiiiiiiiight.[/quote]

There’s no groundbreaking technology in a microwave oven, even by 1950’s standards. I’ll agree with you that the article isn’t very convincing, but don’t claim that they’d be unable to build one in the uSSR.

Is this a serious post? Will the microwave alter the DNA of my popcorn? Or how about my cheese pizza left over from last night? Do you think microwaves can turn my morning oatmeal bad? Please.

Come one, let’s try to think critically about what we read. Nothing says neutrality and reliability like Soviet-funded research that was subsequently overturned and yet still reported on by a magazine called Natural Life, right?

[quote]joshuaforty wrote:
Plastic will alter the dna of the food.

Is this a serious post? Will the microwave alter the DNA of my popcorn? [/quote]

Well of course! And then the altered DNA will survive your stomach and digestive system unscathed and will easily replace all your DNA with itself, turning you into a Orville Riedenbaker look-alike mutant.

Don’t you ever watch movies, man? Where do you think zombies come from? Zombie trees?