Microwave Steaming Veggies

Ok I know this topic has been talked to death, but I’ve read through several threads and haven’t found what I’m looking for.

I use the frozen steamer bags all the time, for convenience and cost when not actually cooking, and recently switched to using ceramic or glass bowls for microwave steaming veggies- but you still need a lid to do this, and I haven’t found anything that works like plastic wrap. I would like to find out a way to steam frozen veggies without the use of plastics.

Before I just bite the bullet and start steaming a week’s worth of veggies on the stovetop, do any of you have suggestions for how to go about steaming veggies in microwaves w/out using plastics? Do glass pyrex bowls with glass lids work for this? How do you get the steaming seal w/out plastic? Is it even possible?

Wet paper towel draped over the top of the bowl, works like a charm. To be honest, most frozen veggies will come out just fine even without a top.

[quote]apayne wrote:
Wet paper towel draped over the top of the bowl, works like a charm. To be honest, most frozen veggies will come out just fine even without a top.[/quote]

Thanks, I will try the wet paper towel thing. I’ve done it without a lid before and with the exception of frozen spinach, most veggies seem to partially dry and overdone and partially frozen still.

Thanks for the response! :smiley:

I use a glass bowl with a glass plate as the lid and sometimes add a bit of water in the bowl with the veggies, and then use the plate to drain the excess water after cooking, and it seems to work fine for me.

Are you talking fresh veggies or frozen? I’ve never had a problem with frozen, fresh is another story.

[quote]apayne wrote:
Are you talking fresh veggies or frozen? I’ve never had a problem with frozen, fresh is another story.[/quote]

I was talking about frozen. When I get fresh veggies I like to take the time to actually prepare them.