T Nation

Microwave Meals in College Dorms?

In the College dorm I plan to stay in I only will have access to a microwave and a mini fridge for cooking and storage.

I really enjoy to cook healthy meals but that now seems next to impossible.

Do you have any suggestions for microwave only high protein (healthy)meals?

I used to cook eggs all the time in the microwave. If you scramble them they kind of bubble up like a puffy omlet. In order to get them to cook evenly you will probably have to stir it once halfway through.

You could put whatever you want in it, for cheap protein i would make a tuna+egg omlet with hot sauce or ketchup.

You’ll be fine.

Big bags of frozen chicken breasts: take a breast out of the freezer, season as you wish, microwave for about 10min (will vary from oven to oven). Comes out great.

Big bags of frozen mixed vegetables: same as above, but cooks in about 5min.

If you can swing a Foreman Grill you’ll be even better off, but most dorms will never allow it (unless it has a kitchen somewhere).

Peace.

My favorite breakfast:
Frozen blueberries+rolled oats+splenda
and a shaker of low carb Grow!

learn to love cottage cheese.

Nuking eggs is so easy but for some reason egg beaters turn out better than egg whites or eggs. Also, like a George Foreman Grill would be great to grill veggies, chicken, fish, burgers, etc on.

[quote]RipStone wrote:
Nuking eggs is so easy but for some reason egg beaters turn out better than egg whites or eggs. Also, like a George Foreman Grill would be great to grill veggies, chicken, fish, burgers, etc on. [/quote]

YES! i live on my foreman grill, you can get one for 20$ these days, maybe even cheaper, look into it

All the suggestions above are great as well these articles may help you. School Days I&II by Steve Berardi.

They are, “A practical training and nutrition guide
for college students.”

School Days Part 1 & 2
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460575

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459620

Simply strive to do your best in reguard to your nutrition and you will be flights ahead of 99% of other college students. Take one step at a time, nail it to the point of being habit and adopt another.

Hope this helps,
Phill

go to a friend’s house, make a huge batch of beans, freeze.

No, unfortunetly Foreman Grills aren’t allowed.

Can pasta and rice be made in the Microwave?

[quote]fedorov91 wrote:
No, unfortunetly Foreman Grills aren’t allowed.

Can pasta and rice be made in the Microwave?[/quote]

WTF? Who’s running this dorm? The Gestapo? If it was me I would be smuggling in a Foreman Grill regardless. What, do they do random room checks?

I live off of tuna, frozen chicken, cottage cheese, oats, brown rice, eggs, frozen veggies, cheese, fruit, and GROW! while I’m up at school. It’s not easy, but if it was easy everyone would do it.