Microwavable Frozen Vegetable Packs

I found the coolest thing at the supermarket the other day: Birds Eye 12oz frozen vegetables. You throw these suckers in the microwave for 5 minutes, and your veggies inside the bag. They are ridiculously convenient and taste is on par with steaming on the oven top. Not to mention they were on sale for 10/$10.

Absolutely no excuse not to eat your veggies now!

Just wanted to share with everybody, because they’re a great option for eating veggies at work or when you’re in a hurry.

I used to get these back in England. I would wait until they were on sale and then stock up the freezer. You’re right, they’re extremely convenient, especially if you’re tracking calories.

I would use them for dinner, more than for work; when I got back home late from school, tired, I’d put a bag in the microwave next to a precooked chicken breast and I had dinner ready in 5 mins.

I would be concerned about xenoestrogen leak from the bag.

Thanks for the info.

As a college student, I swear by these things. I buy the broccoli, spinach, carrot, and mixed vegetable bags. You can also find squash, cut into squares, which you take from the plastic container and place into a microwave-safe bowl. It’s definitely the best way to quickly prepare your vegetables.

Doesn’t microwaving destroy the nutrients of the veggies?

Doesn’t heated plastic release carcinogenics on the food?

[quote]warlock wrote:

Doesn’t heated plastic release carcinogenics on the food?[/quote]

The bag is lined on the inside to keep the outer part from melting on the food.

Microwaving it at the specified time doesn’t destroy anymore nutrients than boiling them.

[quote]warlock wrote:

They are probably fine.

If you think Birdseye is good then give Steamfresh a shot. They went on sale last week $5/5 and I bought out the entire freezer.

[quote]warlock wrote:

Did you have to say it. I am never going to eat my vegetables now.

In a pinch I often use left over chicken breasts, brown rice, a little spinach and a steam fresh pack. In about 15 minutes and little effort I have a healthy dinner.