Microsoft Office for a Mac

I know this is kinda random but does anyone know where or how i can get a free copy of microsoft office or word or excel for a MAc

Piracy is illegal.

Same place you got your free Mac.

Does it HAVE to be MS Office? I haven’t tried it myself, as I already have Office (hehehe), but there is OpenOffice at http://www.openoffice.org . It’s free, but I dunno if it’s any good.

I have to have word and excel, my buddy has it and i have a burner that can burn movie dvds,i havent tried it but i was wondering if anyone knew how to get it

Openoffice is the way to go.

[quote]livinthedream wrote:
I have to have word and excel, my buddy has it and i have a burner that can burn movie dvds,i havent tried it but i was wondering if anyone knew how to get it
[/quote]

1. Go to your local mac software retailer.
  2. Pick up a copy and hold it in your hands.
  3. Run.

Best results are achieved when running out of the store.

On a more serious note:
docs.google.com

Just downloaded NeoOffice, it is free and does everything Office does. It is based off OpenOffice but looks better in my opinion.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Openoffice is the way to go.[/quote]

Word.

I know this is kinda random but does anyone know where or how i can get a free copy of microsoft office or word or excel for a MAc[/quote]

Are you a broke student? Many universities have site licenses in place. Ask the IT staff if you’re in college. If they don’t have such an agreement, there are still educational discounts available.

download bittorrent and google search websites that have torrents. isohunt is a good one. Of course, only download if you own the original as I don’t condone illegal piracy.

You brought this on yourself by allowing a mac into your life, you hippy.

[quote]Cunnivore wrote:
You brought this on yourself by allowing a mac into your life, you hippy.[/quote]

hippy?what makes a mac user a hippy. Mac’s are better in my opinion i got to school for audio production so therefore i have a mac.

It’s a computer joke, don’t overthink it buddy.

Cunnivore wrote:
You brought this on yourself by allowing a mac into your life, you hippy.

hippy?what makes a mac user a hippy. Mac’s are better in my opinion i got to school for audio production so therefore i have a mac.
[/quote]

audio production eh? berklee by any chance? I went for MP&E in 2000, left shortly after though. Anyway, while mac has dominated audio processing in the past, there is a free/open source recording suite for Linux called ardour that’s supposedly equal to or better than pro tools. There’s a pretty good article about it here, although it’s 2 years old:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7205

btw, openoffice will do everything MS office will do, including read and write ms office files. there is a mac version but the install usually requires a little extra work (not too hard, but more work than your typical drag and drop mac install procedure).

nah not berkley, new england institute of art. berklee is way over rated

Don’t pirate apple products. Even if its made by microsoft. It’s FOR MAC.

Support the mac platform and just buy the damn thing. Its good software and the money goes to a better cause… than the current monopoly that microsoft has on the market.

That or download Open Office. Its pretty good. Its almost like Microsoft Office except its got more features.

Did I mention you can save and open PDF files in open office?

Can’t do that in microsoft office… not yet anyway.

nah not berkley, new england institute of art. berklee is way over rated[/quote]

Sure it is. And going to an art school is much better than going to a school where you would have 4000+ other musicians to play with, listen to, learn from, and record, not to mention the faculty, which consists of some of the top names in music.

Not to mention, you would have Office for free. And Reason, Finale, DrumCore, and others. Free. Digital Performer 4.5 with the MOTU 828mkII cost me only a few hundred (of course, I think the film scoring dept uses Logic now, or at least DP5 for sure). Garritan products are deeply discounted. BU would let you buy Logic for $300. M-Audio stuff is heavily discounted. Oh, and I got a ton of Waves plug-ins for free. Not hundreds or thousands of dollars. It came bundled with DP. OSX Panther was a free upgrade. So was Tiger. Leopard would be if I were still there (graduated last May).

Of course, none of this is a reason to go to a school. There’s the education part. Not just the music, but the liberal arts programs, too. The curator of the Museum of Fine Art is one of the Art History teachers at Berklee. He’s an incredible teacher. There’s also the practical experience part I already mentioned. And there’s the networking part. Now I have connections in Boston, New York, Austin, London, and a ton in Los Angeles.

Sorry to get defensive, I just find it a bit ignorant to say that Berklee is overrated. It’s like saying MIT or Harvard is overrated. I’m sure NEIA has a good audio production program, but I sincerely doubt it is the equal of Berklee’s music production and engineering program. It’s one of only two programs at Berklee that you actually have to test into and apply for.