Microloading Plates (1.25 lb)

Which brand(s) of these plates will fit a standard barbell?

I notice that in the product descriptions for most of them they mention use with dumbells, but I am concerned that these plates are too small to fit around a standard barbell bar.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

The ones that I have use the same size hole as my barbell size. I do not see a name stamped on them.

I only use these on the dumbbells, but they would work just fine on the barbell. I just do not have the need for such precise weight control on my barbell.

Has anyone made a “homemade” version of these kind of weights. I was thinking of filling something with sand or rocks and then hanging it on each side of the barbell to make up the additional weight.

Why do you need such accuracy?

[quote]Misterhamper wrote:
Why do you need such accuracy?[/quote]

These will help me get through plateaus in some of my big lifts. You know, the whole progression thing.

Pieces of chain with a strip of velcro

[quote]dmo82 wrote:
Misterhamper wrote:

These will help me get through plateaus in some of my big lifts. You know, the whole progression thing. [/quote]

Why not use reps instead of micro-loading? Say you lift 100lb for 6 reps, work your way up to 100lb for 12 reps, then add 10lbs and start on 3-5 reps, working your reps up again.

Just a thought.

The ones I’ve seen are called platemates and are magnetic

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=112&pid=1650

I just got myself some for xmas. They fit my olympic bars, but are avail. for standard bars as well. The site was recommended somewhere on here before. prowriststraps.com/fractional_plates_fraction_plate_weights_lifting
If you’re on a budget tho’ you could sorce some various sized 1" washers at a hardware store and weigh them.

6 links of 5/16" zinc coated chain at Home Depot plus a carabiner weighs about 0.5 pounds and fits the oly bars perfect.

I found some 1&1/4 lb plates at Big 5. They are made by BFCO for std size bars. I looked everywhere, and these were the best deal. Funny thing was, the people who worked there didn’t know that they stocked them. I use them for incremental increases on lateral raises. My GF uses them for nearly all of her DB workouts, they seem to have helped her progressions quite a bit.

[quote]dmo82 wrote:
Misterhamper wrote:

These will help me get through plateaus in some of my big lifts. You know, the whole progression thing. [/quote]

You really don’t need these on the big lifts, like squats and deads. They can be helpful for dumbbells, but loading them on a barbell seems like a waste of time.

how much are you lifting that you need to add only 1 pound?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
how much are you lifting that you need to add only 1 pound?[/quote]

320 deadlift x 5, for just one example. Adding 2.5 lbs each week for a few weeks can make a difference. I am on a linear progression program that sometimes calls for very preceise weights.

[quote]dmo82 wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
how much are you lifting that you need to add only 1 pound?

320 deadlift x 5, for just one example. Adding 2.5 lbs each week for a few weeks can make a difference. I am on a linear progression program that sometimes calls for very preceise weights.[/quote]

Oh. I was gunna say just put a 5 pounder on since it’s a drop in the bucket at that point, but if your on some special program, disregard my comments :-P. GL.

Weekly increases of less than 1% seem rather marginal to me, but what do I know? Maybe you’ve been deadlifting for years and you’re 5’4" 125lbs with a 320lb deadlift.

If you are a very experienced lifter who is pushing the limits, then I can certainly understand the strategy. If not, then I think you are overly restricting your progress and should look for another solution, ie: rest, diet, etc.

BTW, the plates I mentioned earlier fit on both std 1" DBs and BBs.