Michigan vs Appalachain State

owned.

[quote]Pat Monaghan wrote:
My team’s Notre Dame and then Pennstate… and Notre Dame got smoked today but damn… Michigan got beat by a d2 school. Good for App State.[/quote]

Not to nitpick, but App State is I-AA, not D2. The difference between 1-AA and D2 is HUGE compared to the difference between 1-AA and 1-A.

Jim Tressel pointed out an important fact after the MU loss: A majority of I-AA teams, especially the good ones (like App State), have a lot of former I-A players that have transferred.

There’s a lot of great athletes at the I-AA level. Just depends if they all perform on a day when the I-A team underperforms. Saturday was a nice example.

Oh yeah, and Michigan sucks.

OU losing last year to Boise, that was not an upset. It is not anywhere the level of App. vs. Michigan.

Plus OU sucks.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Fucking pathetic. Sometimes it’s difficult to be a U of M fan. Loyd Carr, once again, has failed to prepare his team. He needs to go.

bigflamer stumbles off to cry alone[/quote]

How dare you call yourself a U of M fan. It is never difficult to be a wolverines fan. Just sometimes I would rather not mention the fact that I am a Michigan fan.

[quote]Pat Monaghan wrote:
My team’s Notre Dame and then Pennstate… and Notre Dame got smoked today but damn… Michigan got beat by a d2 school. Good for App State.[/quote]

App State is not D2. They are D1 FCS. And not pushovers by any means. Not that I’m making excuses for Michigan. This was a disaster. And I’m seriously worried about this season.

not to add salt to wounds, but how many points behind was App.State? How many points could not the O score or how many points did D allow.

The team from the School up North. Is probably the most dangerous team right now in the Big 10. Can you, imagine what practice was like.

Anyrate, as Buckeye, I not only have to follow OSU. I now have a loud need to follow App. State.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I wonder when the talking heads on ESPN will finally realize that the Big 10 is not that tough of a conference.

Sure they have a couple of decent teams, but they are not that strong of a conference. At least not strong enough to warrant the idiots on TV creaming their pants over it.

The SEC and the Big 12 South are twice as hard to win than the Big 10. [/quote]

Amen.

(and Phil Fulmer is a great recruiter and lousy coach)

[quote]58buggs wrote:
not to add salt to wounds, but how many points behind was App.State? How many points could not the O score or how many points did D allow.[/quote]

Go look at a box score? 34-32 final, ASU lead for all but a few minutes late in the 4th before the field goal with 30seconds to go.

[quote]jre67t wrote:

Plus OU sucks.[/quote]

Actually they don’t.

Judging by your logical, thought out analysis of the state of Oklahoma’s football program, I’d wager that you are a Longhorn fan?

Just a guess though.

Dustin

No, they don’t suck just a friendly jab Dustin. But there loss against Boise is not in the same league as Michigan’s loss.

I support anything Texas buddy old pal.

[quote]sdspeedracer wrote:
rainjack wrote:
I wonder when the talking heads on ESPN will finally realize that the Big 10 is not that tough of a conference.

Sure they have a couple of decent teams, but they are not that strong of a conference. At least not strong enough to warrant the idiots on TV creaming their pants over it.

The SEC and the Big 12 South are twice as hard to win than the Big 10.

Amen.

(and Phil Fulmer is a great recruiter and lousy coach)[/quote]

The SEC gets it’s due credit, if you watch any college coverage on ESPN for more than 5 minutes you hear them called the best conference in football 10+ times, probably more, and it’s true(but not by the amount SEC fans would have you believe). Nobody is debating that, nobody is “overrating” the Big10 to above, or even with the SEC(some even rate the PAC10 higher, that’s probably a good debate).

But the Big12(south) are you serious? Since were down on the Big10 about losing bowl games, how about Oklahoma < Boise State, and A&M getting destroyed by Cal. Texas squeeked by Iowa, a 2nd tier Big10 team. See how a couple of games can alter the view of your conference?

Apparently the WAC is fucking phenomenal right? People are way too quick to jump on a couple of games and bitch about underrated this, overrated that. MICHIGAN lost to App State, MICHIGAN was overrated, they just happen to be in the conference, if anything it’s bias towards traditional schools(Mich, Notre Dame) than it is to a conference.

Put any Big 10 team in the Big 12 South, and they will have at least one loss, probably two just against other South teams.

When you have two Big 10 teams ranked in the top 10, and one of them loses to a DI-AA team - someone is giving the conference too much credit.

How many National Champions have come out of the Big 10 in the las ten years?

Pretty sure you can name at least two from the Big 12 South, and the SEC.

Face it - the Big 10 is weak - especially this year when the pride of the conference is fucking Wisconsin.

Did you happen to catch the game this past January? You know, the one where the Mighty Mighty Bucks were treated like a red headed step kid by Florida?

What conference conference are the gators in? Oh yeah - the SEC.

[quote]jre67t wrote:
No, they don’t suck just a friendly jab Dustin. But there loss against Boise is not in the same league as Michigan’s loss.

I support anything Texas buddy old pal.

[/quote]

:slight_smile:

I agree with you that OU losing to Boise State wasn’t that big of an upset. OU was favored by 7 points in that game, if I remember correctly.

What are Longhorn fans saying about their team struggling against Arkansas State? I was really surprised that Texas didn’t handle them easily.

I’m glad I’m not a Michigan fan.

Dustin

[quote]red04 wrote:

But the Big12(south) are you serious? Since were down on the Big10 about losing bowl games, how about Oklahoma < Boise State, and A&M getting destroyed by Cal. Texas squeeked by Iowa, a 2nd tier Big10 team. See how a couple of games can alter the view of your conference?

[/quote]

The record of both Oklahoma and Texas since 2000 can hold their own against any other two teams in the nation, SEC teams or not.

OU since 2000:

80-14

Texas since 2000:

76-14

Both have won National titles since 2000. OU has played in 3 BCS title games and has played in all BCS Bowl games.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Put any Big 10 team in the Big 12 South, and they will have at least one loss, probably two just against other South teams.[/quote]

Blah blah blah this is the same line written by every fan of every conference with respect to any other conference. Turns out most teams come out of the Big10 with 1 loss too, and usually they don’t play all of the top teams of the year(OSU, Mich, PSU, Wisc, Iowa[down the past few years]) because of the admittedly retarded scheduling. That causes a potential for an inflated record which can lead to what overzealous fans ready to drop the hate call “overrated.” It’s a problem with the system of BCS rating by points, which come from wins.

Or just giving the team that lost to the IAA team? No that can’t be a possibility, it has to be conference bias! The other big name Big10 teams handled their business. Texas scraped by ARKANSAS STATE, does that make Oklahoma and Nebraska overrated?

2, Michigan(97) OSU(03).

Big12- Texas, Oklahoma
SEC- LSU, Florida, Tennessee
ACC- Miami, Florida State(could also be noted that in 99, the BCS title game was 2 ACC teams, only time that’s happened so far in BCS)

I am shocked, the SEC is good, every other conference is good but slightly behind.

First off the only conference who has a(singular) team that is their pride is the PAC-USC+9. Second, turns out Wisconsin has been pretty good this decade, and getting consistently better.

[quote]Did you happen to catch the game this past January? You know, the one where the Mighty Mighty Bucks were treated like a red headed step kid by Florida?

What conference conference are the gators in? Oh yeah - the SEC.[/quote]

Wow, I would’ve never guessed that reference was coming. To think that my argument was over the Big12(south) and here I am staring at a statement about a game involving the Big10 and the SEC(a conference I said deserves all the credit it gets). I’ll entertain it anyways, here’s what happened: Our boys were really entertained watching the Boise State game and wondering if that trickery would work against Florida like it did to OU. Turns out the Gators are actually good, and we got stomped for trying, oops. Could’ve been worse though, instead of getting beat like that by a team that was clearly the best in the land, we could’ve had our asses handed to us 45-10 by Cal, any Aggies around want to inform me how that feels?

What would you want OSU to change about their “rating” last season? They played a solid non-conference game(Texas), beat almost everyone handily going 12-0. Any other team that went into a national title game undefeated with the opponent a 1-loss team is going to be the favorite unless is from a non-BCS Conference. A lot of title games have been lopsided, that doesn’t make the losing team “overrated” as much as it does the winners “that fucking good.”

I think the conferences are pretty well “rated” as is. SEC is really fucking good, everyone else is just “good.”

[quote]red04 wrote:
First off the only conference who has a(singular) team that is their pride is the PAC-USC+9. Second, turns out Wisconsin has been pretty good this decade, and getting consistently better.[/quote]

Talk to me at the end of the season about how good the Badgers are. Ceerleaders are a dime a dozen, sparky.

You might ask Cal how it feels, since they were “snubbed” by the BCS back in 2004, and the #4 Bears took it in the ass from a Texas Tech team that owned them.

[/quote]
What would you want OSU to change about their “rating” last season? They played a solid non-conference game(Texas), beat almost everyone handily going 12-0. Any other team that went into a national title game undefeated with the opponent a 1-loss team is going to be the favorite unless is from a non-BCS Conference. A lot of title games have been lopsided, that doesn’t make the losing team “overrated” as much as it does the winners “that fucking good.”[/quote]

I think it has a lot to do with how over-rated the Big-10 is. I don’t think that the conference should get as much weight as it does. Fix the over-rated opinion of the conference.

I’ll agree that the SEC is year in and year out the best conference in football, but I think the Big-10 is over rated. But nothing will come of my bitching as long as the announcers and talking heads are all PAC-10/Big-10 alums.

Oh yeah…Fuck the Irish.

I think that the bias starts when some reporter walks into a university gym or practice field and sees some intimidating stuff that is routine throughout the country, then they start writing in papers, magazines, the internet, talking on TV and radio shows about how amazing the school is and they are #1 for him, so other reporters(who vote on rankings) just follow suit because they are too busy to do the looking themselves.

No teams should be ranked until week 2, and there should be no cross divisional games if you are a 1-A school, play at the level.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

You might ask Cal how it feels, since they were “snubbed” by the BCS back in 2004, and the #4 Bears took it in the ass from a Texas Tech team that owned them.

[/quote]

See that’s exactly what I mean though, bad games, or even bad years happen(App State is more than a bad game, this isn’t an excuse for Michigan). It doesn’t make a whole conference overrated. You could dig up bad scores from all sorts of games for every conference, it happens. I just really don’t think any whole conference is overrated, except maybe last years ACC(zing!).

It could be an endless argument though, because bias especially when it comes to team sports and their fans is very rampant, and that’s part of what makes it so entertaining.

[quote]red04 wrote:
It could be an endless argument though, because bias especially when it comes to team sports and their fans is very rampant, and that’s part of what makes it so entertaining.
[/quote]

I won’t disagree with this, nor will I stop thinking that the Big-10 and the Pac-10 are just overrated media favorites.

This is probably the funnest part of college football - the pure, honest fanaticism people have for their favorites. You don’t see it in the pros - at least not the support for a given conference/division.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

This is probably the funnest part of college football - the pure, honest fanaticism people have for their favorites. You don’t see it in the pros - at least not the support for a given conference/division.[/quote]

True that, and it shows on game days. There’s nothing like being at a college football game(or basketball if you’re at a school like Duke). You just don’t feel the same excitement at the professional level until the playoffs.