Michigan Gets...

Here are some thoughts.

-Boise State beat one ranked team, Oregon State, who was unranked at the time. The WAC sucks. Period.

-Notre Dame didn’t beat a ranked team in the final standings. Penn State was overrated when they played and Georgia Tech was in and out of the polls all year. Nonetheless, ND did not beat a team in the final BCS standings.

News flash to most Notre Dame fans. You’re not Irish and you’re not Catholic and you sure as hell didn’t go to Notre Dame. Shut up

[quote]OARSMAN wrote:
rainjack wrote:

They deserve no rematch. As for them being the second best team in the nation - I don’t think so.

Of course they deserve the rematch.

You just don’t want to see a rematch for whatever reason, which is fine, but don’t come to me with this bullshit that Michigan is not without a doubt the second best team in the country.

So who is the second best team in the country then? Florida? Please. What the fuck have you been watching all season?

Thanks for outing yourself as a football moron.

regards,
boat boy

[/quote]

I am not a football moron - but I can see where a Big 10 cheerleader like yourslef can get caught up in the emotion of getting your pom pom’s stepped on.

Face it. Michigan blew their shot. They don’t get a second chance.

Now take your foot-printed pom-pom’s and put them away. Maybe you can use them next year.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
I don’t really understand the whining for a playoff. This is exactly the type of scenario that could happen in a playoff format. The two best teams could potentially meet up before the title game. I’m sorry, but the BCS got this one right this year (minus the undefeated Boise State issue).[/quote]

Yes, but should it be based on luck? What happens if USC blows out UCLA? If Florida wins by another 40 points over Arkansas?

Then you’ve got 4 teams with a reason to complain.

What happens if Rutgers or Louisville ran the table? What happens if Arkansas doesn’t lose that game so early on to USC? The Arkansas USC played in week one was a totally different team by the mid-point of the college season.

When we talk about fairness, this year is pretty fair (obviously not perfect, but better than it’s been lately). However, fairness in a system should not be a byproduct of luck, it should be a byproduct of the system actually being fair. Tennessee obliterated California, and Cal was 4-0 at the time in their conference, and ended 7-2. They got destroyed in the SEC.

Name another conference in the country where there is a great conference matchup every week, where the teams playing in it have a shot of making the title game that year. You can’t.

Florida had what looked like 10 bowl teams on their schedule at the beginning of the season. Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, Vanderbilt, LSU, Alabama, Southern Mississippi, FSU if they weren’t a such a sinking ship, South Carolina and Arkansas in the conference championship.

Let’s see the PAC-10 play the SEC. Every week, one PAC-10 team against one SEC team. I would fucking love it. It would be a complete and utter massacre.

Find me one team who can beat beat Florida, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas and South Carolina in one year. You can’t. I don’t care how great OSU is, they wouldn’t go through that line-up without a loss year after year.

[quote]OARSMAN wrote:
Let’s modify that. Florida had a slightly tougher schedule. Michigan was #3 in schedule strength.[/quote]

And Florida was #1.

Both games were close.

If USC played Arkansas later in the season it would have been USC getting skullfucked by Arkansas.

Florida beat Tennessee, Alabama and LSU. All three of those teams would be capable of playing a close game against Michigan, Ohio State and USC, and Alabama or LSU would be able to win.

LSU beat Arizona 45-3 with their second string in the entire fourth quarter. USC beat Arizona 20-3 with their starters in for all 4 quarters.

Boy, I hope someone digs up some of these posts when Florida beats OSU.

While Michigan might be the #2 team, it would be completely unfair to Ohio State to give them another shot. Say Michigan wins the re-match. The series would actually be tied 1-1, but they would be considered the national champions. And then I’m sure Michigan fans would hypocritically laugh off any OSU fans’ suggestions of a “best of 3” series.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Point of reference: Fuck your split title.

LSU Won the game that year.

And screw you and your SEC hating ways you yankee devil.

GEAUX TIGERS!!![/quote]

LOL

[quote]malonetd wrote:
That’s basically what I have been saying in other threads. If there is a playoff, I would want as few participants as possible. I’m not against a playoff, I just don’t want to see a bunch of 3-loss teams winning national championships.
[/quote]

I agree with this 100%. I don’t think the system is broken now, but if there HAD to be playoffs, this is what I would like to see done.

I’d like to see an “If Necessary Plus-One” system.

In seasons like 2000, 2001, and this year where there is one undisputed #1 and a couple of relatively equal challengers, then place the #1 in the title game, and have the challengers play each other for the right to play the #1. So for this year, you would have tOSU vs. UF-Michigan winner.

Fair? Absolutely not. But that is the punishment that UF and UM get for losing a game when tOSU did not.

In years like 2002 and 2005 where there are exactly two teams with legit claims for the National Title, just play one single game. No need for any playoffs. Case closed.

In years like 2003 and 2004, where there are more than two teams with legit claims for the title, then put together a little four team playoff. Simple, easy, fair.

[quote]orangecola wrote:
…Instead of one week, Tressel is gonna get several weeks to put together one of his great game plans…[/quote]

Wouldn’t this said “great game plan” be enough to beat Michigan, yet again?

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
malonetd wrote:
That’s basically what I have been saying in other threads. If there is a playoff, I would want as few participants as possible. I’m not against a playoff, I just don’t want to see a bunch of 3-loss teams winning national championships.

I agree with this 100%. I don’t think the system is broken now, but if there HAD to be playoffs, this is what I would like to see done.

In seasons like 2000, 2001, and this year where there is one undisputed #1 and a couple of relatively equal challengers, then place the #1 in the title game, and have the challengers play each other for the right to play the #1. So for this year, you would have tOSU vs. UF-Michigan winner.

Fair? Absolutely not. But that is the punishment that UF and UM get for losing a game when tOSU did not.

In years like 2002 and 2005 where there are exactly two teams with legit claims for the National Title, just play one single game. No need for any playoffs. Case closed.

In years like 2003 and 2004, where there are more than two teams with legit claims for the title, then put together a little four team playoff. Simple, easy, fair.[/quote]

You know, this makes a lot of sense… but unfortunately with the way contracts for bowl games are, this will never happen.

[quote]OARSMAN wrote:
malonetd wrote:
I don’t really understand the whining for a playoff. This is exactly the type of scenario that could happen in a playoff format. The two best teams could potentially meet up before the title game. I’m sorry, but the BCS got this one right this year (minus the undefeated Boise State issue).

Not really. The current system sucks.

If you wanted to this year, you could have done a hybrid playoff + 1 system where you rotate two of the January BCS bowls to host “national semis” and use the top 4 teams in the final BCS rankings and pair them off 1 v. 4 and 2 v. 3 - winner would play Jan.8 in Glendale.

You might have some arguments over teams getting hosed over #4 or something - but that format mitigates the ridiculous injustices you’ve had in the past, like Miami in 2000, the LSU/USC split title , Auburn in 2004 and now Michigan in 2006.

You would get OSU v. LSU and UM v. UF - pretty much would settle any debate this year or most years - UM v. UF and if OSU is really as good as everyone says they are. Oh, and yeah, we can finally put this SEC bullshit to bed.

[/quote]

That would never work. If anything, the seeds in a playoff system would be awarded to conference champions. Look at the pros. The top 3-4 seeds are the division leaders. And no one’s complaining about that system.

“What about strength of schedule?” Well, is it _____'s fault that the rest of its conference sucks? Only if you are better than the rest of your conference do I think you deserve a shot at the title game. Michigan doesn’t fall under that category.

Michigan’s a great team, but Florida is just as deserving.

Just out of curiosity let’s say that OSU had lost to Michigan (by the same score just reversed) but everything else was the same. Do you all think it should be OSU against Michigan again or Michigan against Florida?

Also I am curious why in college it seems like if you beat a team once you have beaten them and no rematch is necessary but in the NFL you could easily lose to a team in the regular season and then beat them in the Super Bowl and it is accepted without question.

putting michigan in the championship would be like putting the loser of the NLCS against the winner of the NLCS in the World Series because you think the American League is inferior.

If you beleive in a rematch because michigan had a bad day or some BS, then why don’t you think Wisconsin should be in there? because they lost to the anne-arbor whores? maybe they just had a bad day too.

what about oklahoma, they got screwed by the refs, that loss against oregon really cost them their national championship hopes. Maybe they should have their flights scheduled a week later to play against osu.

We all know the BCS is crap, but hey, at least it worked out last year.

malonetd wrote:

In years like 2003 and 2004, where there are more than two teams with legit claims for the title, then put together a little four team playoff. Simple, easy, fair.[/quote]

not so simple.

Do you have any idea how much goes into the planning of these bowl games? the sponsorships and endorsements are worth tens of millions of dollars alone. To just say, “oh, sorry [company name] we’re not having your ultra mega championship game this year because we have distinct #s 1 and 2, if you want to see that game, why not go to glendale, you can still get scalped tickets”

This would have major lawsuits written allover it.

It’s as if some of you actually think that the BCS and the bowl schedule isn’t around for corporations to make 3 month long advertisements [case in point, Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, Nokia Sugar Bowl, MPC Computers Bowl live from Boise Idaho, San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl… etc]

I’m an FSU fan…so lets state facts…FSU is a mess right now…the football team sucks…and would probably lose to most highschool teams…Florida won that game by 7…so…sorry…they don’t impress me as a team, in any way shape or form…florida in the tital game is one of the biggest farces i have seen…
NCAA football needs a tourny…why take a damned month off???..lets give the top handfull of teams in some games…and let the best team prove themselves…

[quote]iksrtfo28 wrote:
I’m an FSU fan…so lets state facts…FSU is a mess right now…the football team sucks…and would probably lose to most highschool teams…Florida won that game by 7…so…sorry…they don’t impress me as a team, in any way shape or form…florida in the tital game is one of the biggest farces i have seen…
NCAA football needs a tourny…why take a damned month off???..lets give the top handfull of teams in some games…and let the best team prove themselves…[/quote]

With fans like you who needs people to boo them?

Another point of reference: When things work out for YOUR team it’s the way it’s supposed to be. When things DON’T you got fuckin’ robbed!!!

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
not so simple.

Do you have any idea how much goes into the planning of these bowl games? the sponsorships and endorsements are worth tens of millions of dollars alone. To just say, “oh, sorry [company name] we’re not having your ultra mega championship game this year because we have distinct #s 1 and 2, if you want to see that game, why not go to glendale, you can still get scalped tickets”

This would have major lawsuits written allover it.

It’s as if some of you actually think that the BCS and the bowl schedule isn’t around for corporations to make 3 month long advertisements [case in point, Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, Nokia Sugar Bowl, MPC Computers Bowl live from Boise Idaho, San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl… etc]
[/quote]

I am fully aware of it. I am also fully aware that the bowl system and BCS are not going anywhere for a long, long time.

Nearly every single season, we have some sort of injustice to end all injustices, an injustice that will be the very last straw to kill the BCS. It’s all over the papers (“Did the BCS Get It Right?!”), people are screaming, pitchforks are grabbed and torches lit. Then by February, all is forgotten, and the cycle begins anew next December.

However, the system I posted would be the ideal system, IMO, for trying to ensure fairness AND preserve the importance of the regular season as much as possible.

And note that I didn’t mention any “bowls” for the National Title contenders, so the sponsorship problem isn’t as big a deal. It wouldn’t be much different than having ‘if-necessary’ games in best-of-7 playoff series. Those games sometimes have literally 24 hours notice to get the game going, and yet they manage.

Would this system ever be used in reality? Not in a million years.

But then again, since the BCS is not going anywhere AT LEAST for another 7 years, discussing any playoff system other than what we have is pure mental masturbation.

I decided to whack off this time.

I decided to whack off this time.[/quote]

Whack off…mentally, right? :confused:

Florida has 27 freshmen.

They won their ‘big’ game, mostly because the return guy fumbled in the end zone.

THE Ohio State will fucking feast on Gator!!

Having the Buckeyes play in AZ is practically a homegame at this point. I guarantee Buckeye fans will outnumber Florida fans 2 to 1 at the very least.

I would first like to say that I am from OHIO; I also attend OSU as a grad. student so you can all guess that I am a buckeye through and through.

I really wanted to see OSU vs. Michigan; I really wanted to see the best 2 teams in the country play for the title. I’m not even confident that OSU would win but that is what declaring a champion should be about. And of course if OSU lost, it would not have been that bad. Firstly if we would have seen OSU vs. Michigan we would have got to see Urban Meyer crying on national tv for a few weeks. Also, say Michigan wins. I do believe it would be a bit shady to declare them national champs. This is great because then maybe finally people would be outraged to the point that we can dump this BCS bullshit and go to a playoff system when the contract expires.

Enough ranting however. Look at the good side Michigan fans. We get to see the Big 10 show the SEC and PAC-10 what Big 10 football is all about. I smell an ass kicking for both Florida and USC in the near future…

With fans like you who needs people to boo them?

Another point of reference: When things work out for YOUR team it’s the way it’s supposed to be. When things DON’T you got fuckin’ robbed!!!

I still cheer for them…but…just statin facts…they are in down period…but they will be back…

sorry…not once did I say anyone was robbed…maybee you should learn how to read? just don’t believe Florida is deserving of being in the tital game…and feel the NCAA needs a playoff system
and for you people sayin a team need to win their conference?..why? do it like the college BBall…but without as many teams…