T Nation

Michelle Obama and the Queen

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2009/04/02/dont-touch-michelle-obama-abandons-protocol-queen/

Well, she finally did something I approve of…

mike

This, in my opinion, is a much cooler story.

I don’t care if the queen licked her pussy…Why the fuck does England still give credence to a monarchy? Time to bump them down to regular citizen status.

Hey pat, tell us how you really feel. Actually it really doesn’t shock me that the Brits still have a queen, they and those under her dominion behave as slavish people.

mike

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
Hey pat, tell us how you really feel. Actually it really doesn’t shock me that the Brits still have a queen, they and those under her dominion behave as slavish people.

mike[/quote]

Plan on expanding on that idiot statement?

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

Plan on expanding on that idiot statement?[/quote]

No, because it probably won’t pass your government imposed internet filter.

mike

[quote]pat wrote:
I don’t care if the queen licked her pussy…Why the fuck does England still give credence to a monarchy? Time to bump them down to regular citizen status.[/quote]

Agreed.

You’re not supposed to touch them because they have magical healing powers.

But America is the crazy religious country…

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
eigieinhamr wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

mike[/quote]

lol

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

mike[/quote]

Maybe you want to look into Hanns Hermann Hoppes " Democracy, the God that failed".

He argues that democracies are actually a step back when it comes to individual freedom:

You may notice that the Brits are rarely bothered by their royals, the semi-fascist proposals always stem from their two popular parties.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
eigieinhamr wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

mike[/quote]

Zing!

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

mike[/quote]

Ah it’s their country. If they want monarchy, they can have it…It’s a pretty good gig though, you have no responsibility, everybody pays you homage and you rich as hell and you can do what ever you want…I’d take it.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

mike[/quote]

Pretty ignorant thing to say. There’s actually a lot to be said for constitutional monarchy.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

, they and those under her dominion behave as slavish people.

mike[/quote]

Slavish eh, thought you were better than that comment.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

Pretty ignorant thing to say. There’s actually a lot to be said for constitutional monarchy.[/quote]

As someone who is against monarchy in every form, I’d like to know what’s to be said for such a system.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

Pretty ignorant thing to say. There’s actually a lot to be said for constitutional monarchy.

As someone who is against monarchy in every form, I’d like to know what’s to be said for such a system.[/quote]

For starters:

1. In having the Queen as the head of state, you remove the need for a citizen to have any loyalty/awe for the head of the government. Gordon Brown is the leader of the party with the most seats in the House of Commons. That’s all. That’s how it should be.

Given the serious damage the cult of the presidency has done to America, under Bush most noticeably, but the same thing is happening with Obama, we should be particularly sympathetic to this logic.

1. The argument of tradition. I doubt this means anything to a progressive like yourself, but it should mean something to anyone who considers themselves conservative. That family, for all its faults, has reigned over Britain, and given a great deal to it, for approaching three centuries now. That counts for something.

2. They key word is “constitutional” monarchy. Read up on the English Civil War, Glorious Revolution, etc. No one is talking about absolute monarchy, or anything close to it.

Democracy, including our version of it, is not an unalloyed good, nor is it something that is right for every nation. I would think Iraq alone gave ample evidence of that. I don’t want an American monarchy, but if I was a Briton I would be in no hurry to see mine disappear.

Alright, keep in mind that for once, I mean no offense you on these boards because I respect you. But…

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:

For starters:

1. In having the Queen as the head of state, you remove the need for a citizen to have any loyalty/awe for the head of the government. Gordon Brown is the leader of the party with the most seats in the House of Commons. That’s all. That’s how it should be.
    [/quote]

Maybe I’m not clear on this, but there will always be awe and some kind of loyalty to any head of state, queen or president or whatever.

It’s the way it goes. They’d be just as awestruck meeting Gordon Brown.

Bullshit. The American public falls for bullshit politics and garbage promises just like every people around the world does. when that tide changes because of policy decisions, the guy is run out. Sometimes, when the tide never quite changes (people still liked Clinton even at the end of his term) he’s respected just as much.

But the fact that you need at least one person to head the executive branch is no different than the way any business or town runs.

Have we given the president too much power? Perhaps. But that doesn’t mean that 1) Congress can’t take it back (they can, see War Powers Act of 1965) and 2) that it would be better to have some garbage figurehead in there waving to crowds while the dirty work is done by others.

F.U.C.K That.

Tradition means nothing. It means “Do this because that’s how it’s always been done,” or “Let us lead because we always have.”

I don’t care what that family has done- they had no right to rule in the first place- no one who isn’t freely elected has any right to rule the people.

Winston Churchill saw that country through it’s darkest but greatest hour, and did what no King or Queen could have ever done.

And has what they done justified what they’ve received? Centuries of ruling a country, and finally when they’re forced out, they become a ridiculously rich figurehead who, in reality, does no more than Paris Hilton and deserves their money about as much.

Sounds like a hard fucking life, especially compared to the youth of London who grow up in brutal poverty-stricken neighborhoods embroiled in crime and up dead at 17 with a knife in their stomach on some street corner.

Yea, God save the fuckin queen.

I’ve read plenty, and I know what it is. But a monarchy, in any form, has no place among the democracies of this earth. It is the sad remnants from a dark time where one man or woman could rule a country with an iron fist. Figurehead or not, that whole system should be abolished and destroyed.

[quote]
Democracy, including our version of it, is not an unalloyed good, nor is it something that is right for every nation. I would think Iraq alone gave ample evidence of that. I don’t want an American monarchy, but if I was a Briton I would be in no hurry to see mine disappear.[/quote]

It is the best of all forms. Is it meant for everyone? Maybe not, although I think that most people in most nations would truly enjoy it.

However, this very country was founded on the death of tradition, on the notion that a given man would not be judged on what his father was. It told him (and it has been proven over and over) that any man could be the most powerful man in the country, that anyone could be President and lead this nation. There is no position in America that is not attainable by any man.

That idea has driven this country to the success it’s had. I would personally die before ever watching any type of monarchy in any form ever ascend to the heights of American politics.

But it is not so much the absurdity as the evil of hereditary succession which concerns mankind. Did it ensure a race of good and wise men it would have the seal of divine authority, but as it opens a door to the FOOLISH, the WICKED, and the IMPROPER, it hath in it the nature of oppression. Men who look upon themselves born to reign, and others to obey, soon grow insolent. Selected from the rest of mankind, their minds are early poisoned by importance; and the world they act in differs so materially from the world at large, that they have but little opportunity of knowing its true interests, and when they succeed in the government are frequently the most ignorant and unfit of any throughout the dominions.

• Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

As someone who is against monarchy in every form, I’d like to know what’s to be said for such a system.

For starters:

Given the serious damage the cult of the presidency has done to America, under Bush most noticeably, but the same thing is happening with Obama, we should be particularly sympathetic to this logic.

[/quote]

It seems this could be better served by having two presidents.[quote]

1. The argument of tradition. I doubt this means anything to a progressive like yourself, but it should mean something to anyone who considers themselves conservative. That family, for all its faults, has reigned over Britain, and given a great deal to it, for approaching three centuries now. That counts for something.
    [/quote]

Should we keep one slave family working the grounds at the white house because it’s tradition?[quote]

1. They key word is “constitutional” monarchy. Read up on the English Civil War, Glorious Revolution, etc. No one is talking about absolute monarchy, or anything close to it.

[/quote]

Of course no one is talking about an absolute monarchy. But whichever way you dice it, a sitting monarch is symbolic of person with that level of power. Besides, putting “constitutional” in front of it does not make it so, though their constitutional monarchy is more accurate a statement than our “constitutional” republic.[/quote]

Democracy, including our version of it, is not an unalloyed good, nor is it something that is right for every nation. I would think Iraq alone gave ample evidence of that. I don’t want an American monarchy, but if I was a Briton I would be in no hurry to see mine disappear.[/quote]

Agreed, but then again I’m not a fan of democracy…

mike

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
That family, for all its faults, has reigned over Britain, and given a great deal to it, for approaching three centuries now. That counts for something. [/quote]

I’d wager that it has taken from the country a great deal more than what it has “given” to it. That should count for something!

Off with their (metaphorical) heads, I say.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
pat wrote:
I don’t care if the queen licked her pussy…Why the fuck does England still give credence to a monarchy? Time to bump them down to regular citizen status.

Agreed.

You’re not supposed to touch them because they have magical healing powers.

But America is the crazy religious country…
[/quote]

Man, you lick that old bitches pussy and you’ll fucking live forever. SHEEIT!

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

For starters:

It seems this could be better served by having two presidents.
[/quote]

That’s one option, as in Israel, France, etc. Not sure how well it works in practice.

Obviously not. I’m saying that there is often a great deal of wisdom in social structures and norms that cultures have built up over centuries or even millennia. Wisdom that our culture is rapidly tossing out the window.

Since when? You were lauding Thomas Paine on here not so long ago.