T Nation

Michael Lockett Update?

What ever happened to this guy? He was bursting with potential! Those long muscle bellies, perfect abs and bone structure made him stand out among bigger men. Does anyone else think he had the potential to be Mr. Olympia? He may have not been the biggest but he had the best looking physique I have ever seen.

Great genetics,…just a great shape on that guy. Always discussions over whether he’s truly natural or not, but even if not, a hell of a physique (I certainly wouldn’t mind looking like that! -lol)

S

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michael-Lockett/464527460270

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
What ever happened to this guy? He was bursting with potential! Those long muscle bellies, perfect abs and bone structure made him stand out among bigger men. Does anyone else think he had the potential to be Mr. Olympia? He may have not been the biggest but he had the best looking physique I have ever seen.[/quote]

It may have had something to do with the nastiness of the “fans”. There are some sites that literally tried to tear that guy apart even down to his skin tone…yet people wonder why guys like that just avoid the spotlight for a while?

Just like that bodybuilder who everyone had a fit over for saying he only ate once or twice a day and that he could curl 315. They never let that go even though his potential was likely as good as Cedric Mcmillan’s.

I think more of these guys will stick around when people quit trying to run them off…especially when most of the people acting like that don’t even look like they lift.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

It may have had something to do with the nastiness of the “fans”. There are some sites that literally tried to tear that guy apart even down to his skin tone…yet people wonder why guys like that just avoid the spotlight for a while?

Just like that bodybuilder who everyone had a fit over for saying he only ate once or twice a day and that he could curl 315. They never let that go even though his potential was likely as good as Cedric Mcmillan’s.

I think more of these guys will stick around when people quit trying to run them off…especially when most of the people acting like that don’t even look like they lift.[/quote]

Kinda like they did with Fankhouser’s teeth. To stay on topic here is a pic of Lockett with Fankhouser.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

I think more of these guys will stick around when people quit trying to run them off…especially when most of the people acting like that don’t even look like they lift.[/quote]

Kinda like they did with Fankhouser’s teeth. To stay on topic here is a pic of Lockett with Fankhouser.[/quote]

Unreal calves on that guy…

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

Kinda like they did with Fankhouser’s teeth. To stay on topic here is a pic of Lockett with Fankhouser.[/quote]

Unreal calves on that guy…[/quote]

Was thinking the same thing… Ridiculous.

What ever happened to this guy? He was bursting with potential! Those long muscle bellies, perfect abs and bone structure made him stand out among bigger men. Does anyone else think he had the potential to be Mr. Olympia? He may have not been the biggest but he had the best looking physique I have ever seen.[/quote]

Doc,

You’ve stated similar points previously, but seriously… we’re talking about grown men - not insecure little boys! I find it hard to believe that the criticisms you describe would bring down a strong man (unless of course these are indeed small-minded boys with vulnerable egos).

I can’t imagine having the inherent potential to excel at something, only to falter under the constant snipping of the little dogs.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Doc,

You’ve stated similar points previously, but seriously… we’re talking about grown men - not insecure little boys! I find it hard to believe that the criticisms you describe would bring down a strong man (unless of course these are indeed small-minded boys with vulnerable egos).

I can’t imagine having the inherent potential to excel at something, only to falter under the constant snipping of the little dogs. [/quote]

x2. Everyone in every other sport imaginable has to deal with criticisms (usually of a much higher magnitude as bodybuilding is still a very small sport).

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Doc,

I can’t imagine having the inherent potential to excel at something, only to falter under the constant snipping of the little dogs. [/quote]

Are you serious? There is little money in this other than endorsement deals with supplement companies. Your fan base is pretty much the only reason to take it that far aside from the Mr. O paycheck. If you are getting tons of hate from the very people supposed to be FANS of the damn sport, why the fuck would you keep performing? I mean, what is the motivation to put your body through that when you could be just as happy lifting and not performing without all of the negative shit?

This has nothing to do with “vulnerable egos” and everything to do with ungrateful people in the peanut gallery all too ready to throw stones at the very people they should be cheering on.

Yes, spitting tons of shit about Fankhouser’s teeth is bullshit…yet it continues on BODYBUILDING forums and you think this should never phase the guys taking all of the heat as well as putting themselves out there?

Criticism about shit that matters (like their fucking physiques) is supposed to happen.

Criticism that Micheal Lockette looks like his skin has something wrong with it or tearing the man down because of the way he looks (I read some shit that had me shaking my head as if the man was some kind of non-human who shouldn’t compete with the rest of the guys) is not supposed to happen…at least not on a mass scale.

Bodybuilding “fans” seem to be some of the nastiest people around…and again, this almost always comes from people who no one would even take notice of.

I seriously doubt Lockett gives two shits about what some turds on the internet say.

He got out of bodybuilding for the same reason everyone else does…Money.

[quote]charlotte49er wrote:
I seriously doubt Lockett gives two shits about what some turds on the internet say.

He got out of bodybuilding for the same reason everyone else does…Money. [/quote]

I seriously doubt any of these guys are crying themselves to sleep either over some dumbass comments, but when the negative outweighs the positive, why the hell would he stay? He knew about the money issue from the start so obviously that isn’t what caused him to compete in the first place nor should it be THE reason to quit.

Every bodybuilder on stage knows about the lack of funds in competition unless you are one of the top 5 in the country.

My guess is, when guys like Max Charles (who had great potential) get hounded more by call outs calling him a liar because of his claimed barbell curl weight more than the focus on anything positive, the incentive to put your body through hell for this is greatly diminished.

it says on MD that he goes to the O and the Arnold almost every year as a spectator, but hurt his knee. It sounds like he is still recovering.

[quote]charlotte49er wrote:
it says on MD that he goes to the O and the Arnold almost every year as a spectator, but hurt his knee. It sounds like he is still recovering.[/quote]

Did you see those pics I posted in the T-Cell from the Musclemania 2010? The girl, Ami Stockton, did that show with a torn ACL that she is about to have surgery on. You never would have known on stage.

If someone REALLY wants to do something like this, a knee injury isn’t going to stop them (especially not for YEARS)…especially when the dude has genetics like that. Wasn’t his last comp in 2007?

3 years because of a knee injury?

Ok. if you want to believe that.

I had no idea he was so harshly criticized. Other than just jealousy, I don’t see why. That build is awesome and those abs look like river rocks. Jealous little cowards will always try to tear down a champion though.

a little offtopic but I was stoked too see fankhouser getting an olympia qualification. The guy’s progress has been awesome, I remember when he did those offseason training videos and he looked just like a regular dude and I tore him down. It was great too see I was proven wrong.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Doc,

Are you serious? There is little money in this other than endorsement deals with supplement companies. Your fan base is pretty much the only reason to take it that far aside from the Mr. O paycheck. If you are getting tons of hate from the very people supposed to be FANS of the damn sport, why the fuck would you keep performing? I mean, what is the motivation to put your body through that when you could be just as happy lifting and not performing without all of the negative shit?

This has nothing to do with “vulnerable egos” and everything to do with ungrateful people in the peanut gallery all too ready to throw stones at the very people they should be cheering on.

Yes, spitting tons of shit about Fankhouser’s teeth is bullshit…yet it continues on BODYBUILDING forums and you think this should never phase the guys taking all of the heat as well as putting themselves out there?

Criticism about shit that matters (like their fucking physiques) is supposed to happen.

Criticism that Micheal Lockette looks like his skin has something wrong with it or tearing the man down because of the way he looks (I read some shit that had me shaking my head as if the man was some kind of non-human who shouldn’t compete with the rest of the guys) is not supposed to happen…at least not on a mass scale.

Bodybuilding “fans” seem to be some of the nastiest people around…and again, this almost always comes from people who no one would even take notice of.[/quote]

I read your response just after I wrote this, I guess we’re on the same page…

I wonder (honestly) if the fans of bodybuilding have:

1. Unreal expectations regarding appearances, that they are critical of every detail, even if it has nothing to do with muscle/structure (teeth, hair-style, skin, personality, style, ect.)
  2. Are so negative because they themselves are engaged in bodybuilding and need justify why and find fault with other’s who are more developed

[quote]deat wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Doc,

Bodybuilding “fans” seem to be some of the nastiest people around…and again, this almost always comes from people who no one would even take notice of.[/quote]

I read your response just after I wrote this, I guess we’re on the same page…

I wonder (honestly) if the fans of bodybuilding have:

1. Unreal expectations regarding appearances, that they are critical of every detail, even if it has nothing to do with muscle/structure (teeth, hair-style, skin, personality, style, ect.)
  2. Are so negative because they themselves are engaged in bodybuilding and need justify why and find fault with other’s who are more developed[/quote]

I would bet the last one. People on this site were even calling Max Charles a liar…as if powerlifting was his goal. I also haven’t seen Max Charles since that was all people were talking about on at least three major bodybuilding websites.

People can be jackasses. They want people to put themselves out there to be judged from the ground up while also expecting them to put up with shit storms like that over and over.

You have people still more focused on whether Lockett is natural rather than what he has accomplished. That is honestly all that comes up if you even search his name.

Also, people calling others little boys for not wanting to put up with mass bullshit when they themselves are afraid to even post a picture on this site of their own physical progress (even with the face blocked out) is about as hypocritical as you can get.

Also, people calling others little boys for not wanting to put up with mass bullshit when they themselves are afraid to even post a picture on this site of their own physical progress (even with the face blocked out) is about as hypocritical as you can get.[/quote]

Sadly, I feel this phenomenon is typical of the internet generation. I find myself saying this with more and more frequency, but there is no accountability for anything in our current day society.

S