Michael Jackson Tribute Thread

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Awesome cover of “Smooth Criminal”:

[/quote]

Even more awesome cover of Beat It:

And Chris Cornell’s cover of Billie Jean is phenomenal:

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Actually, I remember an interview he did with either Oprah or Barbara Walters (probably B-dub) where he said he watched some kids come into his neighborhood and dance like that and he just HAD to learn the style. I wish I could find a link to the interview.[/quote]

Funny, I was watching this last night. This is probably what you’re thinking of and it’s from Oprah in 1993:

Starts within last minute of this clip.

You dont get to diddle little boys and be remembered well…

The guy was scum and should be vilified. Nothing can excuse his actions.

[quote]Valor wrote:

The guy was scum and should be vilified. Nothing can excuse his actions.[/quote]

Never convicted of such. Never enough evidence.
Besides, this is the TRIBUTE thread.

Take your hate to the other MJ thread.

[quote]IronDude17 wrote:
It’s just crazy not only the fact that he was an absolutely 100% crisp dancer, but also that he was NOT TRAINED formally in dance. It came naturally for him. It’s amazing to think that so many talents can be given to one person. No one in our lifetime will probably ever match his crisp and perfect performances.[/quote]

Nor did he ever have singing lessons. He was truly a gifted and rare individual.

My favorite videos from him were Beat It and Smooth Criminal. Smooth Criminal has some of the best choreography I’ve ever seen, and of course the infamous lean he did with special shoes that he also patented.

I also just saw a few rehearsal photos from the night before he died and he looked fine. Kind of thin but not on his death bed, which makes this all the more puzzling to me.

[quote]Valor wrote:

The guy was scum and should be vilified. Nothing can excuse his actions.[/quote]

Unless you were there to witness this in person, you should shut the fuck up. Especially in a tribute thread.

MJ said some very interesting stuff here:

Also, one of my favorite vids with him will always be the coke ad, lol:

Didn’t MJ also learn to dance to a certain extent on his own? The man was a genius. Their whole family is very talented.

[quote]G87 wrote:
Valor wrote:

Unless you were there to witness this in person, you should shut the fuck up. Especially in a tribute thread.

Didn’t MJ also learn to dance to a certain extent on his own? The man was a genius. Their whole family is very talented.[/quote]

You notice that the little MJ fan or dancer was Alfonso Ribero from Fresh Prince, lol.

[quote]G87 wrote:
Valor wrote:

Didn’t MJ also learn to dance to a certain extent on his own? The man was a genius. Their whole family is very talented.[/quote]

MJ taught himself to dance watching Sam Cook and James Brown growing up. Considering he alone is what they based most of the later pop and lock moves on as well as the huge influence he had on ALL video choreography since then, the man never got close to the respect he deserved before he died.

[quote]BradyZ wrote:

You notice that the little MJ fan or dancer was Alfonso Ribero from Fresh Prince, lol.[/quote]

Alfonso’s dancing like Mike is what got him noticed in the first place. From there, he got the show Silver Spoons and later The Fresh Prince.

Mike affected a lot of people.

Don’t forget what he did for music video. MTV owes him huge!!!

If you have a chance look at music videos before Michael and after Michael, big difference.

Just look at the directors list

John Landin
John Singleton
Spike Lee
Martin Scorsese!!

I’ve seen movies that can’t touch one of MJ’s 6 minute videos. That’s just ridiculous.

and on a lighter note this is my choice for video contribution

what? I bet MJ laughed.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BradyZ wrote:

You notice that the little MJ fan or dancer was Alfonso Ribero from Fresh Prince, lol.

Alfonso’s dancing like Mike is what got him noticed in the first place. From there, he got the show Silver Spoons and later The Fresh Prince.

Mike affected a lot of people.[/quote]

X2

I just saw an Usher video, and you can see that his moves are a lot like MJ.

Like the guy or not, he had a huge influence on music and a lot of artist today.

I remember in '83 watching the Motown 25 with the family. I was 12 at the time and when he busted out the moonwalk, everyone was quiet and then my dad said “Holy shit!”, and we all went off about it. I will never forget that moment.

He was truly born to sing, dance, and entertain.

“Here abandoned in my fame…”

I wasn’t going to get involved in this since everything becomes a war zone on T-Nation and we can’t even agree on a basis for mutual respect for a human being by refraining from unleashing our hatred and our judgment for someone who has just payed the ultimate price for what they have done in life: Death.

From an artistic point of view and from one artist to another, Michael Jackson takes to the grave all that is represented by our human nature…

Our beauty and our shame
Our power and our frailness
Our grace and our aggression
Our self-regeneration and our self-destruction
Our perfection and our deficiency
Our point of origin and our loss
Our rise and our fall

And who of us hasn’t fallen and how many times…

How many times acceptance and rejection
Equanimity and Insanity
Embrace and abandonment
Spirit and sword
Freedom and fight
On and on and on…the endless human plight.
May his rest be our peace.

A.L.

To further my contribution;

This is one of my favorite MJ songs. It sustained me through some anguished teenage times, times like him, with many friends and yet cold and alone inside:

I chose this song as my tribute to his death and changed some of the words to fit my artistic vision of his person.

Stranger in my Skin

I was wandering in the rain
Cast alive", feelin’ insane
Swift and sudden fall from grace
Sunny days seem far away
Kremlin’s shadow belittlin’ me
Stalin’s tomb won’t let me be
On and on and on it came
Wish the rain would just let me be

How does it feel (How does it feel)
How does it feel
How does it feel
When you’re alone
And you’re cold inside

Here abandoned in my fame
Armageddon of the brain
KGB was doggin’ me
Take my name and just let me be
Then a begger boy called my name
Happy days will drown the pain
On and on and on it came
And again, and again, and again…
Take my name and just let me be

How does it feel (How does it feel)
How does it feel
How does it feel
How does it feel
How does it feel (How does it feel now)
How does it feel
How does it feel
When you’re alone
And you’re cold inside
(2x)

Like a stranger in My Skin
We’re talkin’ danger
We’re talkin’ danger baby
We’re talkin’ danger
We’re talkin’ danger baby
Like a stranger in Moscow
I’m livin’ lonely
I’m livin’ lonely baby
A stranger in My Skin

“Here abandoned in my fame…”

You know, I was watching the news last night, and while they were doing a story on MJ, they were playing “I’ll Be There” in the background. I sat there, and just found it hard to fathom that he is gone. I mean, DAMN.

^
MJ Home Movies

[quote]Barachiel wrote:
Don’t forget what he did for music video. MTV owes him huge!!!

If you have a chance look at music videos before Michael and after Michael, big difference.

Just look at the directors list

John Landin
John Singleton
Spike Lee
Martin Scorsese!!
[/quote]

That’s crazy.

“My Hero Ain’t Molest Them Bitch Ass Kids”

There will be a memorial service at the Staples Center on Tuesday July 7 just announced. 750,000 people are expected to show up, I bet alot more than that.

for those who may have missed this when it first aired

Chris Tucker doing MJ as a pimp

First time I saw this I was on my knees laughing.

[quote]Barachiel wrote:
for those who may have missed this when it first aired

Chris Tucker doing MJ as a pimp

First time I saw this I was on my knees laughing.[/quote]

Here is another MJ video with Tucker and Usher.

Great song and video, he shows why he is the greatest entertainer.