Michael Crichton Dies

I just heard…truly sad.

I think I’ll lose it when my favorite author dies, though. I don’t even know what I’ll be like on that day.

[quote]strangec wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Did anyone enjoy Congo?

I thought it was a great book!

I enjoyed it as well. I think Eaters of the Dead was my favorite, along with Rising Sun.

[/quote]

Oh shit I read that one too! Totally forgot. That one was pretty awesome. I like how he included all the back ground information on the bottoms of the pages.

correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t he also help with E.R.?

he did, also co-wrote Twister

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
roybot wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
He was a pretty entertaining author and a bright guy.

He’s a qualified doctor as well.

Timeline is a great read, one of my all-time favourite books. Shame about the film version, though…

Do not get me started on Timeline the movie.[/quote]

Not that it was completely his fault, but you knew the movie was doomed when Paul Walker plays the lead role.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t he also help with E.R.?[/quote]

He created it.

Travels, one of his nonfiction books, was a huge influence on me and my writing. I buy at least three copies of it a year to give as gifts. Sad day.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t he also help with E.R.?[/quote]

Yep. He created it. All that medical training must have come in handy.

I’m sure that I read once he was a practicing surgeon(I think it was mentioned in the preface to Airframe).

Can anyone verify this, please?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
roybot wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Timeline is a great read, one of my all-time favourite books. Shame about the film version, though…

Do not get me started on Timeline the movie.

Not that it was completely his fault, but you knew the movie was doomed when Paul Walker plays the lead role.
[/quote]

sees that non-actor’s name

Anger Level…Rising…

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
roybot wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Do not get me started on Timeline the movie.

sees that non-actor’s name

Anger Level…Rising…[/quote]

Shhh. Just blame it on Walker. Nobody’ll be any the wiser…

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
I just heard…truly sad.

I think I’ll lose it when my favorite author dies, though. I don’t even know what I’ll be like on that day.[/quote]

Whose your favorite? Mine is Morgan Llwelyn, her Irish historical fiction books kick ass!

State of Fear. Great book. With plenty of non-fiction references.

I always enjoyed his books. He had an engaging style of writing. My little sister or grandmother would always buy me a copy of his latest book for my birthday or Christmas.

Pretty sad to hear that he’s gone.

[quote]Tri217 wrote:
State of Fear. Great book. With plenty of non-fiction references.[/quote]

I second this. Great book.

RIP

[quote]strangec wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:
I just heard…truly sad.

I think I’ll lose it when my favorite author dies, though. I don’t even know what I’ll be like on that day.

Whose your favorite? Mine is Morgan Llwelyn, her Irish historical fiction books kick ass!
[/quote]

Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He has lung cancer and is in his 80s. Was working for a newspaper in Mexico City.

He’s only released the first of a trilogy of his autobiography, Living to Tell the Tale. I really hope he finishes it before he passes.

I’ve been considering tracking him down - my ex’s family is from Mexico City - and sending him a copy of one of his books (my favorite: Love in the Time of Cholera) and asking if he’d sign it. I’d love to have that before he passes and not sure how I’ll function the day I find out the sad news.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Travels, one of his nonfiction books, was a huge influence on me and my writing. I buy at least three copies of it a year to give as gifts. Sad day.

[/quote]

I do that with the book Freedom From the Known.

And Garcia Marquez pretty much got me into writing.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
strangec wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:
I just heard…truly sad.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He has lung cancer and is in his 80s. Was working for a newspaper in Mexico City.

He’s only released the first of a trilogy of his autobiography, Living to Tell the Tale. I really hope he finishes it before he passes.

I’ve been considering tracking him down - my ex’s family is from Mexico City - and sending him a copy of one of his books (my favorite: Love in the Time of Cholera) and asking if he’d sign it. I’d love to have that before he passes and not sure how I’ll function the day I find out the sad news.[/quote]

I read one of his books that had a collection of his short stories. Really enjoyed his work on those, have not read a full novel of his though.