Michael Crabtree Willing to Sit Out Season for More Money

From what I’ve heard on ESPN, Crabtree and his agent have both vehemently denied any link to the statement his cousin made. Basically his cousin, who is probably a total piece of shit living vicariously through Crabtree, popped off about Crabtree’s contract status when in fact Crabtree himself never said he would sit out the whole season.

This dumbfuck cousin of his probably has zero cash and thinks he’s gonna get a piece of Crabtree’s pie and is starting to get antsy.

That being said, I don’t blame any of these football players for trying to get all the money they can. Careers are so short and contracts aren’t guaranteed. These guys work their whole life for a chance to play in the NFL and enjoy a career that could end at any time. If were to work my whole life to be a police officer, knowing that the average career lasts about 4 years and could end at any given time (in theory of course, for the sake of argument) I’d want to get all the money for it I could. These guys all go to college, but a lot of them don’t really think about life after football when their bodies are totally trashed from sacrificing themselves for a team that literally just throws their ass to the curb once the team can find a better, younger guy to take his place. It isn’t like this for every player, but it could happen to any player. C.R.E.A.M.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Just about to post this. This is one of the most absurd things I’ve ever heard. Someone needs to sit this retard down and explain to him that he should be grateful for earning any money, let alone millions to play a childs game and get a free ride through life. This is further proof that society is going down the shitter.

I have never understood this mentality. If he thinks he can get more money by doing this, it’s his right. If he fails he’s only hurting himself. NFL teams are not charities, it’s not like he’s holding some non-profit’s feet to the fire here, how many millions does the team make each year? how many billions does the league make? If the owners are getting rich off of him, he has a right to get as much of a piece of that as he can. Owners and GMs are businessmen, if they make the deal its because they think it is financially in their favor to do so. If everyone had the “take what is offered to you and be greteful for it” mentality, players would still make what they did 20 years ago.
[/quote]

I can see why people are pissed off about his holding out, but I doubt any of them will have a reasonable, logical response to this.

Good post.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Just about to post this. This is one of the most absurd things I’ve ever heard. Someone needs to sit this retard down and explain to him that he should be grateful for earning any money, let alone millions to play a childs game and get a free ride through life. This is further proof that society is going down the shitter.

I have never understood this mentality. If he thinks he can get more money by doing this, it’s his right. If he fails he’s only hurting himself. NFL teams are not charities, it’s not like he’s holding some non-profit’s feet to the fire here, how many millions does the team make each year? how many billions does the league make? If the owners are getting rich off of him, he has a right to get as much of a piece of that as he can. Owners and GMs are businessmen, if they make the deal its because they think it is financially in their favor to do so. If everyone had the “take what is offered to you and be greteful for it” mentality, players would still make what they did 20 years ago.

Thank you; this is almost exactly what I’m saying. Do I think he is making a smart business decision by sitting out of camp like this? No… because there’s a good chance he won’t be totally ready for the season and might hurt his production and thus hurt future earnings.

However, think about it like this: if 2 games into his career he snaps his leg in half and ends his career, the team can (and will) cut him and won’t pay him shit except any guaranteed money he negotiated in his contract. This is not like the NBA where almost all of your contract is guaranteed no matter what happens, you see guys in the NFL get cut all the time with millions still left on their contract.

Put yourself in his situation: you’ve been trained your whole life to do exactly one thing. You have very limited education because you had morning workouts or film study or road trips so you took joke classes in school. The typical career of an NFL player lasts 3 or 4 years, after which you will still be responsible for the livelihood of not only yourself but often as many as 10 members of family, extended family or other assorted hangers-on. If you sign a contract, you are bound to show up and work for that contract or not get paid but if you happen to get hurt or play poorly then your team can cut you an often have no obligation to pay you anything.

You better believe I would be doing everything to get paid as much as possible on that first contract! I do think, however, that he’s probably not going about it the best way.[/quote]

Nobody is arguing that it’s not his right, just that he’s stupid. More than likely he’s not stupid for doing this, since there are no direct quotes from HIM. But he’s stupid for not stayinig on top of what’s going on, if it’s purely a money basis.

Otherwise your theory on making money if he gets hurt wouldn’t make much sense. Since either way he’ll still make close to the same amount of money, when your going from a $100k a year parents household to your own $5m dollars a year, why roll the dice all or nothing and go for another $1m? Specially considering you have an ankle problem, where if you sit out until next year and still haven’t increased your speed your risking never playing again… ask Clarett…

Crabtree isn’t your typical player. If he half lives up to his college game he will be in the league much longer than 3 years, why start your career on the wrong foot. While NFL contracts aren’t guarenteed, Endorsements make for great bonus’s.

One thing to consider, Crabtree’s injury was pretty serious he may feel that he needs to sit out a little while longer. What’s the best way to buy time without letting the team know he’s still slow and possibly hurt?

[quote]artw wrote:
From what I’ve heard on ESPN, Crabtree and his agent have both vehemently denied any link to the statement his cousin made. Basically his cousin, who is probably a total piece of shit living vicariously through Crabtree, popped off about Crabtree’s contract status when in fact Crabtree himself never said he would sit out the whole season.

This dumbfuck cousin of his probably has zero cash and thinks he’s gonna get a piece of Crabtree’s pie and is starting to get antsy.

That being said, I don’t blame any of these football players for trying to get all the money they can. Careers are so short and contracts aren’t guaranteed. These guys work their whole life for a chance to play in the NFL and enjoy a career that could end at any time. If were to work my whole life to be a police officer, knowing that the average career lasts about 4 years and could end at any given time (in theory of course, for the sake of argument) I’d want to get all the money for it I could. These guys all go to college, but a lot of them don’t really think about life after football when their bodies are totally trashed from sacrificing themselves for a team that literally just throws their ass to the curb once the team can find a better, younger guy to take his place. It isn’t like this for every player, but it could happen to any player. C.R.E.A.M.[/quote]

His father was known to run off at the mouth too must run in the family.

There is no logic that the average dude can wrap his head around.

He’s looking accross the bay at Hayward Bay and it’s killing him that he’s not getting paid as much. Or it’s at least killing his agent. And he’s telling Crabtree to look at all the high pick recievers in the future who will get less money if he goes ahead and signs. I think they’ll come to a deal while still in camp, I really do, because if the kid can read he’ll read the Mike Williams case study and realize that this sort of tactic doesn’t pan out.

I think it’s a threat to the 9’ers, and the 9’ers need to hold their ground.

I also wonder if Crabree is still injured though, and he’s buying time with this BS.

One thing is certain though, his catch against UT in the Blackout has already made him a household name and giving me a life-long memory as the conclusion to one of the best college football games I’d ever seen. So whatever happens now is inconsequential.

He has to know he’ll get drafted lower next year, sitting a whole year out and only doing workouts. The NFL learned their lesson on Mike Williams.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

[/quote]

Oh I’m not saying he’s handling it the right way. Generally there is a fair precedent for rookies not doing so well after an extensive hold-out. I was making more of a general comment at the, “they should be happy to be getting paid anything to play a game,” sort of mentality that some people have toward professional athletes.

He should do whatever he can to get as much money as he can during his career… which usually means negotiating as hard as he can until it will start to hurt his performance (which will be soon if he doesn’t get in camp) and then hope he puts it together on the field.

I fail to see the big deal. Yes, most of you have a point but this is not breaking news. This shit happens every single year. Dunte Robinson is prepared to sit the season he says. He is a 4 year vet or so but still this shit happens all the time and you can mostly blame the agents.

I think there will be revision to rookie salaries next season.