Miami Ohio vs Iowa State

Guys I am watching a Bowl Game on TV right now. Miami Ohio vs Iowa State. Miami has a guy named Terna Nande he weighs 230 and allegedly squats 600 and benches 500, they think he will break the NFL combine record in the 225 bench test in February. Steve Goggins the WPO Heavyweight Champion which is the 242 class benches 568. This guy has a world class bench for his weight but only squats 600? How do they measure theses guys bench presses?

Maybe he’s built for benching, short stroke and all.

Very seldom is a guy great at all three lifts.

As far as I know the 225 test is the only bench workout these guys do, and they just make the athlete rep out. It’s a lame test, I don’t know that the 1RM ever comes up at the combine.

From my exp in college weight rooms.

Most college athletic departments don’t 1RM. They do a 3 or 4 rep max, then look at their chart and see what they should be able to do.

A very flawed way to view bench press strength. Being able to do 450 3 or 4 times doesn’t make you a 500 bencher. With the momentum and the chest bounce and the bad form I am sure that the guy in question, while stong, coudn’t do 450 the way steve does 560.

[quote]FULLSTERKUR wrote:
From my exp in college weight rooms.

Most college athletic departments don’t 1RM. They do a 3 or 4 rep max, then look at their chart and see what they should be able to do.

A very flawed way to view bench press strength. Being able to do 450 3 or 4 times doesn’t make you a 500 bencher. With the momentum and the chest bounce and the bad form I am sure that the guy in question, while stong, coudn’t do 450 the way steve does 560.[/quote]

He’s right, we don’t do one rep maxes. Atleast not in season or directly preseason, although in the winter offseason coaches are less likely to grill us for it. I get my head ripped off everytime i do single’s, double’s, or fast triples in the weight room. You should have seen the one time I let go of the weight and caught it at the bottom, (ala Adama Archuletta, although i only had 165 on) I thought they would castrate me. Anyways, there are some strong ass dudes playing college football. This guy at Miami of Ohio, yeah I’ve heard of him, and he probably will break the bench record at combines, although he has his work cut out for him. I’ve never understood why they train us for 225 rep max, but im not complaining, let everyone else stunt their training, they can stare at my bands and chains all they want while I laugh and get stronger. (Except when I squat. I don’t laugh then. Nothing is funny on leg day.)

Speaking of Miami of Ohio, I can’t wait to have Hoeppner next year at IU. Spread offense, shot-gun no huddle… drools

Heres the thing that perplxes me this guy, can bench 500 but he only squats 600? If this guy is as strong as the announcers were touting him to be he should be squatting more than 100 pounds than he benches, don’t you think?

According to the muredhawks sight their s&c coach dubbs him a “physical freak”.500lb bench,620lb squat,37 inch vj and 4.36 40.

[quote]earthshaker wrote:
According to the muredhawks sight their s&c coach dubbs him a “physical freak”.500lb bench,620lb squat,37 inch vj and 4.36 40. [/quote]

Thank god he isnt in the big ten, i would NOT want to get hit by that.

[quote]earthshaker wrote:
According to the muredhawks sight their s&c coach dubbs him a “physical freak”.500lb bench,620lb squat,37 inch vj and 4.36 40. [/quote]

christ he even ran the 100 in 10.8 too, it’s just mind boggling that someone that big can move that fast. 4.38 40 at 240 lbs… any physics majors want to give me a rough estimate of the force he would generate with a hit?

Anyone know what the current record is for the 225lb rep test??

I think I remember Orlando Pace getting 38 reps. I dont know what his max bench is, but I imagine it had to be around 500 as well.

I knew a guy at OhioU who could bench 455, but couldn’t manage more than 22-23 reps in the 225 test. I guess a lot of it has to do with muscle fiber makeup.

[quote]adamkn wrote:
Anyone know what the current record is for the 225lb rep test??

I think I remember Orlando Pace getting 38 reps. I dont know what his max bench is, but I imagine it had to be around 500 as well.

I knew a guy at OhioU who could bench 455, but couldn’t manage more than 22-23 reps in the 225 test. I guess a lot of it has to do with muscle fiber makeup. [/quote]

I want to say Pace has the record for lineman at 38, fullback record is 37, and DB record is 31 (set by adam archuletta). This is off the top of my head, so i could be wrong, but I think that that’s right.

With the momentum and the chest bounce and the bad form I am sure that the guy in question, while stong, coudn’t do 450 the way steve does 560.[/quote]

I understand your point fully, but I assume Steve’s bench is in equpiment, right? And as to another post, my bench 3RM is close to my squat 5RM (roughly 20 pounds less for the bench). I have very short arms and a thick chest (relatively speaking). I’m certainly not a mullet, either.

[quote]hoosierdaddy wrote:
earthshaker wrote:
According to the muredhawks sight their s&c coach dubbs him a “physical freak”.500lb bench,620lb squat,37 inch vj and 4.36 40.

christ he even ran the 100 in 10.8 too, it’s just mind boggling that someone that big can move that fast. 4.38 40 at 240 lbs… any physics majors want to give me a rough estimate of the force he would generate with a hit?

[/quote]

Didn’t Simeon Rice supposedly run in the 10.7-10.9 range?

I am pretty sure the 225 test record is up at 44 as of recently, done by Bryan Save at Colorado state.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/a
nalysis/individual_workouts

dookie

you are right steve’s 560+ is in equipment but we are still talking about a controled 1RM vs an uncontroled, undisiplined 3 or 4RM.

As much as equpment helps there still is a diffrence.

As far as him being this physical freak of nature. He will probably be able to parlay his awesome physical ability into a better chance at the NFL but it certinaly dosen’t make him a great football player alone. infact Some of the biggest, strongest and fastest don’t know how to use thier strength with their technique. They usually use their abilities in spite of technique and that is what gets them hurt or injured.

howz this,

Mike Golic was saying in Philly at the start of each season the linemen tested out by how many times on the benchpress they could rep out 315 lbs. He said every year Reggie White would come in and do 18 and no one else would come close. Then one year an O-lineman put on 405 lbs and repped it 12 times. This was about 20 minutes after Reggie had done his usual 18 with 315 lbs. The strength coach said by his strength formula the O-lineman had set a new record. So the D-lineman went and found Reggie, who’d left the weightroom, to raze him and tell him he wasn’t the team’s strongest player anymore. When Reggie found out, he went back into the weightroom, put 405 lbs on the bar and repped it out 13 times. And this was after having done 315 lbs 18 times twenty minutes earlier.

Can you imagine what he’d of done on the field back in the day when the head slap was legal? Probably would have been charged with murder at some point.

naard

dookie

you are right steve’s 560+ is in equipment but we are still talking about a controled 1RM vs an uncontroled, undisiplined 3 or 4RM.

As much as equpment helps there still is a diffrence.

As far as him being this physical freak of nature. He will probably be able to parlay his awesome physical ability into a better chance at the NFL but it certinaly dosen’t make him a great football player alone. infact Some of the biggest, strongest and fastest don’t know how to use thier strength with their technique. They usually use their abilities in spite of technique and that is what gets them hurt or injured.

[/quote]

I absolutely agree. But if you are going to compare a PLer to a FB player, then you have to understand that it isn’t the same thing, either.