Metrx Protein Plus Bars

What do you guys think about metrx prtotein plus bars as a source of protein? They have their own METAMYOSYN blend of protein which consists of milk protein, whey protein, and casein.

Alot of the other protein bars use soy as a source of protein so thats why I buy the metrx. Its got 34 grams of protein and I think it tastes OK. Just curious what you guys thought of their protein blend.

I used to have them, too. I think I’ll go back to them barring too many bad reviews on this thread.

INGREDIENTS: Vanilla Crème Topping Maltitol Syrup, Milk Protein, Lactitol, Palm Kernel Oil, Soy Lecithin, Titanium Dioxide colour, Vanilla Extract, Natural and Artificial Flavour, Chocolate Flavoured Coating Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Whey Protein Concentrate, Cocoa processed with alkali, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavour, Soy, Lecithin, Sucralose, Metamyosyn PPV Protein Bland Whey Protein Hydrolysate and Milk Protein Isolate, Glycerin, Soy Protein Isolate, Water, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Chocolate Chucks Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Artificial Flavour, Salt, Vanilla, Soy Crisps Soy Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch, Salt, Coffee Extract, Cocoa processed with alkali, Instant Coffee, Inulin, Natural and Artificial Flavour contains caramel colour, Vitamin and Mineral Blend Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Fumarate, Tricalcium Phosphate, d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Calcium d-Pantothenate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridozine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Cyanocobalamin, Sucralose.

Soy Crisps
Soy Protein Isolate
Hydrolyzed Collagen ← I wonder how much of the “protein” is bulked out with this unuseable crap.

How anyone can stomach any of those things is beyond me. I have tried them all and I regret it.

that ingrediant list is wrong

They’re great bars, it just takes a while to tolerate all the sugar alcohols.

I’ve used them when I’m forced to grab something ‘worthwhile’ at a 7-11, but I don’t think any Metrx products have the quality they used to. All I hear lately is that they are crap since Connelly left the company. Still, they could taste a lot worse, so long as you have some water with it.

S

[quote]elih8er wrote:
How anyone can stomach any of those things is beyond me. I have tried them all and I regret it.[/quote]

Call me crazy but I like them. I like the roasted peanut one the best. I wash it down with a cup skim and enjoy it.

The ingredient list is different from the one posted. Here it is:

Chocolate Flavored Coating (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Milk Protein Concentrate, Cocoa, Calcium Caseinate, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor), Caramel Layer (Maltitol Syrup, Nonfat Milk, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Milk Protein Concentrate, Heavy Cream, Glycerin, Butter (Cream, Salt), Salt, Monoglycerides, Sodium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Carrageenan, Soy Lecithin), Metamyosyn Vpp Protein Blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Calcium Sodium Caseinate, Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, Whey Protein Concentrate, Egg White, L-gLutamine), Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Glycerin, Water, Peanuts, Maltitol Syrup, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Fructooligosaccharides, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Calcium D-pantothenate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Cyanocobalamin), Caramel Color, Sucralose, Maltodextrin.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
They’re great bars, it just takes a while to tolerate all the sugar alcohols.[/quote]

Does anyone else find this statement very funny?

I was a fiend for the chocolate peanut butter ones for a while. Damn those are good. I tend to pick one up whenever I stop at a Mobil.

no really how do people eat these things?

I liked the chocolate caramel ones most. got’m at wal-mart over the snickers marathon protein bars, or the special k protein bars. they may not be great, but they’re more bang for your buck than the competition at wal-mart, from what I saw.

still, a handful of shit is still shit. comparing it to a bucket full of shit doesn’t stop it from being shit.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
elih8er wrote:
How anyone can stomach any of those things is beyond me. I have tried them all and I regret it.

Call me crazy but I like them. I like the roasted peanut one the best. I wash it down with a cup skim and enjoy it.

The ingredient list is different from the one posted. Here it is:

Chocolate Flavored Coating (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Milk Protein Concentrate, Cocoa, Calcium Caseinate, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor), Caramel Layer (Maltitol Syrup, Nonfat Milk, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Milk Protein Concentrate, Heavy Cream, Glycerin, Butter (Cream, Salt), Salt, Monoglycerides, Sodium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Carrageenan, Soy Lecithin), Metamyosyn Vpp Protein Blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Calcium Sodium Caseinate, Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, Whey Protein Concentrate, Egg White, L-gLutamine), Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Glycerin, Water, Peanuts, Maltitol Syrup, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Fructooligosaccharides, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Calcium D-pantothenate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Cyanocobalamin), Caramel Color, Sucralose, Maltodextrin.
[/quote]

Still has: Hydrolyzed Gelatin

I love how THIS time they have listed it outside of the brackets of their protein blend so you just miss it.

A previous favourite bar of mine till I spotted it had it listed as “hydrolysed protein”.

Hydrolysed gelatin is cheap rubbish used to bulk out the protein content of cheap bars that is nigh upon useless to the body.

[quote]Xander89 wrote:
I liked the chocolate caramel ones most. got’m at wal-mart over the snickers marathon protein bars, or the special k protein bars. they may not be great, but they’re more bang for your buck than the competition at wal-mart, from what I saw.

still, a handful of shit is still shit. comparing it to a bucket full of shit doesn’t stop it from being shit.[/quote]

The special K protein bars that have like 6 grams of protein, right?

Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil…Trans fat! raise bad cholesterol, lower good at the same time! too bad the Metabolic Drive bars have the same thing.

Ground up horse hooves… yummy!

S

[quote]benmoore wrote:

I love how THIS time they have listed it outside of the brackets of their protein blend so you just miss it.

A previous favourite bar of mine till I spotted it had it listed as “hydrolysed protein”.

Hydrolysed gelatin is cheap rubbish used to bulk out the protein content of cheap bars that is nigh upon useless to the body.[/quote]

Thats very interesting, I didn’t think it was a significant part of the protein content. You seem knowledgeable about this. Is there a protein bar you’d recommend?

You are probably better served grabbing a few chunks of dried horse penis otherwise known as jerky at the 7-11 than a MetRX bar.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
benmoore wrote:

Hydrolysed gelatin is cheap rubbish used to bulk out the protein content of cheap bars that is nigh upon useless to the body.

Thats very interesting, I didn’t think it was a significant part of the protein content. You seem knowledgeable about this. Is there a protein bar you’d recommend?[/quote]

I can’t vouch for how signifigant a portion of the total protein comes from hydrolyzed gelatin… buts its been listed alongside the other protein sources in their other bars and is commonly found in the protein “blend” in other brands too.

I used to quite enjoy Mega Pro 50 bars till I actually read up on the ingredients.

Truth be told I now don’t actively reccomend protein bars to anyone. Every single damn one I’ve come across is essentially a glorified candy bar. I would much rather people play around with their food… hell even home made bars (check out Berardi’s gourmet nutrition book - LOADS of great recipes made with REAL food).

A bar like this I would say only keep in the cupboard for emergencies or are in dia need of a lesser “cheat” meal.

Biotest’s own protein bar is pretty good as far as these bars go mind - check the quality of the ingredients. Something like this you could get away with having a little bit more regulary then something like the protein plus bars.

I haven’t looked at every damn bar out there so there are probably a few more gems - just keep an eye out for the evils highlighted in this thread by various posters.

Ideal case scenario I would say cook up some real food, buy some jerky/nuts, etc. But if worse comes to worse and you have to pick up a protein bar… keep it in moderation and pick a quality one.

[quote]Chip Duglass wrote:
Xander89 wrote:

still, a handful of shit is still shit. comparing it to a bucket full of shit doesn’t stop it from being shit.

The special K protein bars that have like 6 grams of protein, right?[/quote]

exactly. pathetic.

[quote]xivb4m wrote:
Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil…Trans fat! raise bad cholesterol, lower good at the same time! too bad the Metabolic Drive bars have the same thing.[/quote]

There’s no trans fat in Metabolic Drive Bars.

Granted, the cookie dough flavor has a fraction of a gram soybean oil in the cookie pieces, but you can always stick with the chocolate chunk flavor if you’re that anal.