T Nation

Metric Unit Conversion Help

Does anyone know a website that gives a good explanation/tutorial on how to convert units inbetween metric units, e.g. Kg to g, m to mm, mL to nL. And things of this nature, all I can find online is a billion instant converters, but nothing to do it manually and my book is absolutely useless for this.

It is a base 10 system. Move the decimal point.

Are you serious? This is elementary school stuff…

I spent 4 years teaching it to 6th graders.

Say you start with 3kg and want to change it to g. Make a fraction out of the kg. Then use a unit multiplier as the next fraction. In this case since you want to change it to g, you would use 1000g/1kg. Then multiply. The kilograms cancel out, leaving you with 3*1000g.

3kg/1 * 1000g/1kg= 3000g

You just need to learn the prefixes:

http://www.nanotech-now.com/metric-prefix-table.htm

[quote]doogie wrote:
I spent 4 years teaching it to 6th graders.

Say you start with 3kg and want to change it to g. Make a fraction out of the kg. Then use a unit multiplier as the next fraction. In this case since you want to change it to g, you would use 1000g/1kg. Then multiply. The kilograms cancel out, leaving you with 3*1000g.

3kg/1 * 1000g/1kg= 3000g[/quote]

I appreciate the answer doogie, I’ve been doing biology and precalc hw all day and my notes on this sucked. My book and solutions manual was also giving me 4 separate ways to do the questions, but not enough of each way to actually help.

“King Henry Died By Drinking Chocolate Milk.”

I just recently learned that from my 6th grade son as a way to remember some of the metric prefixes.

K = Kilo
H = Hecto
D = Deca
B = Base Unit
D = Deci
C = Centi
M = Milli

[quote]malonetd wrote:

I just recently learned that from my 6th grade son as a way to remember some of the metric prefixes.

k = Kilo
h = Hecto
da = Deca
B = Base Unit
d = Deci
c = Centi
m = milli
[/quote]

Fixed, they’re case sensitive.

[quote]SidTheSloth wrote:

[quote]malonetd wrote:

k = Kilo
h = Hecto
da = Deca
B = Base Unit
d = Deci
c = Centi
m = milli
[/quote]

Fixed, they’re case sensitive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_prefixes[/quote]

Ha. You’re right. I was just capitalizing to show that it was a mnemonic using the first letters from the phrase.

Remember though, that in science work, mostly hecto (which I’ve never seen before), deca, deci and centi aren’t used, only the multiples of three:
Terameter ™:1,000,000,000,000 meters
Gigameter (Gm):1,000,000,000 meters
Megameter (Mm):1,000,000 meters
Kilometer (kM):1,000 meters
Millimeter (mm): 1/1,000 meters
Micrometer (microm or the Greek letter mu then m): 1/1,000,000 meters
Nanometer (nm): 1/1,000,000,000 meters
picometer (pm): 1/1,000,000,000,000 meters

A tonne is 1,000,000 grams, but remember that kilogram is the base unit of mass, so a tonne is 1,000 kilograms.

From http://www.khanacademy.org/

Basically just remember prefixes and this shit gets pretty easy (as Orcus mentioned the only prefixes really used in science are the multiples of 3 so I’d suggest focussing primarily on them)

1Kg = 1000g
Kilo being thousand
1g = 1000mg
1g = 1000mcg

1L = 1000mL

If you have 1Kg of apples how many mg is that?

1Kg x 1000g/1Kg* = 1000g
1000g x 1000mg/1g = 1,000,000mg

We want the Kg to cancel out here so we end up with g. Same with g and mg.

… Looks at slogan…

/sigh

Oh btw, when are you guys gonna start using kilos and meters…? Cause I friggin’ hate your current system!

Never, because we’re American and we do shit just to piss you off.

Kilogram is kg, not Kg. Kilo is the only increasing prefix that isn’t capitalised. Also, technically, it’s Britain’s fault you use the Imperial system, we invented it. Sorry about that guys, unit conversion is an arse!

[quote]asusvenus wrote:
… Looks at slogan…

/sigh

Oh btw, when are you guys gonna start using kilos and meters…? Cause I friggin’ hate your current system![/quote]

We will change when the rest of the world names a pastry after us.

DB

Read and learn:

http://www.simetric.co.uk/siprefix.htm