Methods for Reading Faster

Anyone have any good methods for reading faster…

I found this website ( http://www.spreeder.com ) which is interesting but thought others many have tools or tips.

Give this a try:

Just the habit of not reading the edges of a book/screen can dramatically increase speed. I would not recommend it for reading scientific or heavy stuff, but you can fly through casual reading (books/articles/T Nation)

Have you tried auto-erotic asphyxiation?

When I want to read fast I grab an audio book and drive really fuck’n fast like the Wolf.

I like this program
http://wordflashreader.sourceforge.net/

You can control speed, colour, font size, just copy-paste into the program.
I like it for reading articles that aren’t for school, or for pleasure reading.

I think speed reading is a bit of a con.

Some people can read a bit faster, but all this read War & Peace in a day stuff is complete bullshit.

[quote]Nards wrote:

Some people can read a bit faster, but all this read War & Peace in a day stuff is complete bullshit.[/quote]

Forty years ago somebody challenged me. When tested by impartial friends I clocked in at 1200 wpm (read and repeatable). I am slower now…

Nobody taught me and the best may I can describe it is that I read a block of 3-4 lines at a go. In a way it is an extension of recognising the graphical pattern of a word, through using the same technique for a line, to a group of lines.

(don’t try it for poetry)

I always found the more rushed you are to try and take in material, the easier it is to forget and the less you are connected to the content.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
When I want to read fast I grab an audio book and drive really fuck’n fast like the Wolf. [/quote]

I just laughed a nut off.

[quote]Nards wrote:

Some people can read a bit faster, but all this read War & Peace in a day stuff is complete bullshit.[/quote]

Speed reading is pointless without speed comprehension.

Reading fast is as useful as performing ‘The minute waltz’ in under 60 seconds.

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

Reading fast is as useful as performing ‘The minute waltz’ in under 60 seconds.[/quote]

Thank you captain obvious. I guess comprehension should have been included in my question.

Based on what I’ve observed, you can likely train yourself to read faster (and comprehend to appease Marty Monster).

I appreciate some of the links people provided.

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

Reading fast is as useful as performing ‘The minute waltz’ in under 60 seconds.[/quote]

Thank you captain obvious. I guess comprehension should have been included in my question.

Based on what I’ve observed, you can likely train yourself to read faster (and comprehend to appease Marty Monster).

I appreciate some of the links people provided. [/quote]

it may not be the most effective way to improve reading speed/comprehension BUT I downloaded an app on my phone that claims to train you to increase your reading speed while improving/maintaining comprehension levels called Reading Trainer.

I’ve been using it for a few months and have incorporated the approaches taught into my everyday reading and have noticed gradual, slight improvements in speed and retention. I wouldn’t say I’m a speed reader but, according to that app, my speed has increased to around 375-400 wpm (from about 225-250).

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

it may not be the most effective way to improve reading speed/comprehension BUT I downloaded an app on my phone that claims to train you to increase your reading speed while improving/maintaining comprehension levels called Reading Trainer.

I’ve been using it for a few months and have incorporated the approaches taught into my everyday reading and have noticed gradual, slight improvements in speed and retention. I wouldn’t say I’m a speed reader but, according to that app, my speed has increased to around 375-400 wpm (from about 225-250).[/quote]

I’ll give it a try. Do I do I us the auto-erotic asphyxiation pre or post?

Why read faster? I never understood the point. Read at a rate where you retain the most information so you don’t have to reread whatever you are looking at again and waste even more time. For me this amounts to writing in the margins with my questions, comments or a summary.

Periodize your reading, just like your lifting.

Start with short stuff. Short, 3 page Hemingway short stories, or brief T-Nation articles. Kurt Vonnegut novels were he writes in “chunks” of 3-5 paragraphs. Poker books by Sklansky were he stresses 1 topic briefly. Stuff where you don’t have to concentrate long. Build up volume.

Then go up to novellas, and longer books that are still kind of exciting. Page turners that keep you engrossed. I Like sci-fi. Work up to concentrating for longer. Jump onto some Greek/Roman stuff with lots of old-timey Latin derived words.

Then peak with some big, dense, fancy book. Listen to classical music, and specialize on precise, smooth Olympic lifts during this phase.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

I’ve been using it for a few months and have incorporated the approaches taught into my everyday reading and have noticed gradual, slight improvements in speed and retention. I wouldn’t say I’m a speed reader but, according to that app, my speed has increased to around 375-400 wpm (from about 225-250).[/quote]

[/quote]

really it’s a preference thing but during gets you the best results using this method. I have tried constraint-bondage, self-flagilation, or participatory humiliation where I’m the submissive for all three phases (pre,peri, post) and have found that the humiliation is a great way to focus in and get in the right mindset for speed read training while constraint-bondage is a great way to kind of mellow out after an intense session of auto-erotic asphyxiation coupled with speed read training

Keep in mind it is recommended to be in gimp attire with a ball gag during the entire process; it’s best to know how to tap out your safe word using Morse code efficiently - it’s really tough to remember the precise sequence when you’re losing blood flow and oxygen to the brain. That’s when things get REAAAALLLY interesting.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[/quote]

really it’s a preference thing but during gets you the best results using this method. I have tried constraint-bondage, self-flagilation, or participatory humiliation where I’m the submissive for all three phases (pre,peri, post) and have found that the humiliation is a great way to focus in and get in the right mindset for speed read training while constraint-bondage is a great way to kind of mellow out after an intense session of auto-erotic asphyxiation coupled with speed read training

Keep in mind it is recommended to be in gimp attire with a ball gag during the entire process; it’s best to know how to tap out your safe word using Morse code efficiently - it’s really tough to remember the precise sequence when you’re losing blood flow and oxygen to the brain. That’s when things get REAAAALLLY interesting. [/quote]

Dude - talk about above and beyond the call of duty. Excellent work.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Why read faster? I never understood the point. Read at a rate where you retain the most information so you don’t have to reread whatever you are looking at again and waste even more time. For me this amounts to writing in the margins with my questions, comments or a summary.[/quote]

Why? Well, if I can increase the rate at which I read, coupled with retaining the same amount of information, I can read more. I enjoy learning and being exposed to new information (as well as fictional stories) but have limited amount of time. And I don’t really have a way to prioritize more time for reading between work, family, chores, training, and sleep (and no, I don’t watch TV other than sports which I also enjoy). I spent many years not reading and regret it.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[/quote]

Keep in mind it is recommended to be in gimp attire with a ball gag during the entire process; it’s best to know how to tap out your safe word using Morse code efficiently - it’s really tough to remember the precise sequence when you’re losing blood flow and oxygen to the brain. That’s when things get REAAAALLLY interesting. [/quote]

Dude - talk about above and beyond the call of duty. Excellent work.[/quote]

Gotta find what works best, ya know.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Why read faster? I never understood the point. Read at a rate where you retain the most information so you don’t have to reread whatever you are looking at again and waste even more time. For me this amounts to writing in the margins with my questions, comments or a summary.[/quote]

When I read fiction i read as though it’s being read to me. So it’s at the speed of speech.
I read non-fiction just a bit faster.

I took an online test (I think it was here in a GAL thread) a few months ago and got 85% on comprehension with i think 250wpm.