T Nation

Metformin

Does anybody know about this drug? It is used in treating PCOS patients. The drug improves insulin sensitivity, which decreases insulin levels in the blood and makes you more glucose tolerant.

SubHuMaN_

No - sounds promising though!

Do a subject search for the “Metformin” thread dated yesterday (04-Apr-2001). It goes into a bit of detail regarding this drug. (Among other things, the fact that Metformin does not directly influence insulin levels.)

I’ll give you some quotes from the late-great Dan Duchaine. “Metformin or Glucophage is a glucose disposal agent used by diabetics. It can cause greater glycogen supercompensation during carb-ups and also lower blood glucose more quickly to induce ketosis”. While we are at it, I’ll also give you some quotes about Phenformin. “Phenformin is the most potent glucose disposal agent I know of (other than of course, insulin). It has been used to manipulate blood glucose downward to cause ketosis. Perhaps phenformin works too well. It had FDA approval up until 1977, when it was voluntarily withdrawn because of some problems with blood acidosis. Physicians used to be able to obtain phenformin through the FDA for diabetic patients who could not administer insulin via injections (due to blindness or arthritis, for example), and needed an oral insulin replacement. Phenformin still has a future in athletics as most doctors will not prescribe Glucophage to non-diabetics and Phenformin is over-the-counter in Mexico”.

Thanks for the reply guys. There is also a similar herbal product called goats rue. This is supposed to do something similar to Metaformin. I’m going to devote some time trying to find more information on those. Right now exams are coming close so I have to focus on training and studying, that means less researching :frowning:

SubHuMaN_

My wife and I use alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), which is clinically proven to be effective as a glucose disposal agent and is also a potent anti-oxidant. It’s fairly expensive, but you can find decent deals on it if you check around. (Note that ALA is one of the ingredients in MD-6.)

I take 850 mg when I wake up and 850 after I work out. I like it although it really does blunt my hunger.

I a woman who has been diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor wanted me to lose 40lbs, so on the advice of my boyfriend (who is a regular to the site, the forum and a subcriber to the printed magazine) I went on a keto diet (set up alot like the Fat Fast diet, but I couldnt drink all that protein powder, so i substituted alot of the powder for chicken, steak, tuna etc) and started using MD6, so I would get the thermogenic effect and also becuase of the ALA. Previously before I followed this plan I found it hard to lose 5lbs, but after being on this plan for about a month I lost 20lbs. I also did the GVT routine.I wanted to keep this up funtil I lost the last 20lbs.

Lori: You probably already know this, but if you have a decent health plan and a reasonably intelligent M.D., you can have Metformin prescribed for the purpose of offsetting PCOS-related hyperinsulinemia. ALA is a good OTC glucose disposal agent, but Metformin is significantly more effective in this regard. Further, Metformin has the added benefit (from a weight-loss standpoint) of intensely suppressing the appetite, although I unfortunately can’t tell you the exact mechanism for the suppression (I suspect it’s mainly due to the decrease in blood glucose levels, but ALA’s never done this to me so that could be wildly incorrect). In any event, if you’re in an HMO then Metformin will (should) be much less expensive than equivalent therapeutic doses of ALA.

Heh Bob , I thought you might be interested in this.The anorectic effect of metformin seems to be independent of its hypoglycemic or its indirect hypoinsulemic effect , rather its inherent to the drug as demonstrated by its ability to suppress appetite entirely(some people can’t eat at all on it).You were right high insulin doesn’t stimulate appetite , rather its insulin resistance.There are insulin receptors in our brain that when stimulated suppress appetite ,but when your resistant or are a undiagnosed type 1 diabetic that inhibition does not occur so you remain hungry.Leptin resistance might also play a role since its levels rise in NIDDM , but I’m not sure about undiagnosed IDDM.

Good info, Mike. Thanks for clearing that up.