Metformin, Ever Tried It?

I’ve been doing my homework on the Type II diabetes drug Metformin. I’d love to use it in conjunction with the weekend carb-ups on the Metabolic Diet.

Here’s the question: Should I also take it during the week even though my carbs are very low?

I’d start out using half a gram per meal and assess the results and up the dosage if it seems called for.

I’d really appreciate any advice or experiences with the drug, especially Prisoner#22, Mike Katz, Morbo or Cy Wilson. I’ve enjoyed their input in the past but I welcome it from everyone.

Zell,

my GF is diabetic, and told me that Metafomin is VERY hard on the liver…personally, after seeing what she has to deal with, i don’t want to mess with that stuff at all…

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
Zell,

my GF is diabetic, and told me that Metafomin is VERY hard on the liver…personally, after seeing what she has to deal with, i don’t want to mess with that stuff at all…[/quote]

cycobushmaster,

Not saying that Zell should take it, but what does she mean by “very hard on the liver” and how does she know this? Something she has read (ref please?) or if an experience, I’d like to know what she experienced.

B,

she’s used it before, and refuses to use it anymore because it bothered her so much. btw,she’s a type 1 diabetic

I had some of that mexican stuff. I don’t remember the name. Anyways, I put it in a vitamin C bottle and later took it by accident thinking it was vit C. I nearly passed out, I got all dizzy and disoriented. Some grape juice fixed me up when I realized what I’d done. My advice is be careful!

Agreed - be careful with the sides. Dizziness is common, and I’ve been bothered even during carb ups. Have extra sugar/glucose on hand if it’s something you REALLY want to try. Never noticed any body comp changes or better workouts, btw. What is your intention in taking it?

My intention is to use to maximze glucose uptake and prevent spill over during the weekend carb ups used in the Metabolic Diet- a diet I’ve already used with success. I was just looking for a little edge to maximize the benefits. I’m just in the fact finding stage and thus far the results are luke warm.

I used with body opus (similar to your diet) and don’t believe I’d include it again. I honestly couldn’t tell the difference with or without it, other than the sides. Let us know how things go…