Metcon for Muscle Coaching

If you don’t get this, what will you do about it?

We can still help, irrespective of your admission into this challenge.

3 Likes

Depression from being a prison officer and back and knee pain.

I’ll get moving no matter what. Not the first dark patch I have gotten through. This will just be a huge boost to focus on

So IN

So you don’t think “please help me save my life” is overkill?

There is no built-in progression like with a typical strength-based plan, because. it’s mostly conditioning driven. Of course, if you can add weight to the exercises while maintaining the prescribed reps/time, you should do it.

The workouts changes after 4 weeks to a higher level of difficulty.

1 Like

I personally do not think that this is an appropriate plan for someone who is in a depression and have knee problems. The level of physical and mental demands will likely make it worse.

Yeah, you might think that you’ll “power through” and get more focused, but the reality is that you cannot fight your own neurotransmitters and hormones… they will always win. And a plan with that high level of stress, effort required and discomfort just isn’t well suited for someone with real depression.

Depression is a neurological/neurotransmitters problem which can be exacerbated by stress.

No cause if I don’t I won’t make it

I’m so IN !

Christian is the first person that introduced me to proper training and gains with this website, already 10 years ago. Along with Meadows, he is my biggest influence by far, one of the reason I realized my dream of becoming a coach, who know write as well on another website.

I still use CT’s principles often for my training or my clients.

Everyone should apply, honestly !

2 Likes

Can you start a log and tag some of us in? I think we’d like to help you get moving, my friend

3 Likes

Danb76 - Hey man, fellow LEO here. I’m familiar with where you at right now. There are ways to get a handle on it. I know also that hearing advice from people when in that mindset will likely just piss you off but honestly staying stuck in your current state is not the answer.

Right now you likely feel a lack of control over your circumstances and, for some aspects of it, this may be true at the moment. You do have control over many aspects of your well being though and it is on those that you need to concentrate now.

Again, I know how irritating it can be to hear these things from someone who you probably think “just doesn’t get it”. I’ve been there (actually still dealing with it on a daily basis). Without going into too much detail, my background is in major crime (homicide, sexual assault, human trafficking). As you can imagine, I’ve seen some shit. I’ve also dealt with, and continue to deal with, organization politics and bullshit, lack of resources, chronic understaffing, extreme overtime demands, and a work culture that, despite a lot of recent window dressing on the notion of PTSD and taking care of oneself, continues to pressure officers to carry on and insist that they aren’t affected.

Hopefully your agency has a decent employee assistance program through which you can access some counseling. Again, I know exactly what your initial response to that suggestion is likely to be but, there are lots of different styles of counseling out there and I guarantee that with a bit of effort you’ll find one that will help you. What have you got to lose by trying at this point anyway?

I would also suggest focusing on the aspects of your life that you can control. Maximizing sleep, eating a very clean diet, and avoiding self medicating with alcohol and drugs are things that you have immediate control over and which will greatly impact your ability to deal with other stressors. Again, I know that shit sounds trite but again, been there and done that. Also, to the extent that it is possible, you need to try to reconnect with family and friends. They may not fully understand what you are dealing with but they do want to help and you should let them.

As far as training goes, CT is right (as he usually is on the subject of training) and you definitely need a lower stress program at this point. I’ve tried to push through by doing increasingly stressful training programs thinking that this would help and it definitely did not. I regressed and ended up injured and feeling even worse. Frequent walks or hikes, preferably in a forest or natural setting if possible and low volume lifting sessions three times a week is a good starting point. If you are so inclined, martial arts training could be a great thing to start to change your mindset as well. In addition to these things, I still strongly urge you to consider researching what resources you can access through your employee assistance plan as well. I can’t stress that one enough.

Hopefully this message is received well although I fully recognize that it may not be at this time. I’m just saying I know where you are at man, and there is a path forward. You gotta put one foot in front of the other though and let people help you.

Take care.

To the forum mods - if Danb76 starts a log please move this response there

3 Likes

I want in !! … I did the hardbody for women years ago and it kept me in great , still one of my favorite workout plans.
But my boyfriend and I are both first responders and we would crush this :muscle:t3:

1 Like

This is where you’re wrong my knee pain is only due to weight gain and training hard has always put mw back where I need to be. It’s better than any medication. Vicarious trauma from our line of work and sedentary nature of our shifts break us down. I want this opportunity more than anything to help me reach my goals og getting back to being a competitive athlete and being an example to my kids of how hard work and focus can overcome anything. Please give the chance

I’m in Thailand, can I still get in on this?!

Thank you I hear you and I am utilising those services. Didn’t really expect this to take off the way it has. I just didn’t really want to go into detail here. I know what CT is saying but from a former high level athlete point of view in both Rugby and track and field, I know this is type of stress I need to refocus me. I love training and a new direction to find my passion and energy for training again is what i need.
My family all know how I operate and know that me getting back to fitness is the best thing for me.
I don’t self medicate, I barely have 2 drinks a week so that is at least something I don’t need to deal with. Just need to get out of my head and back to the gym and I’d just like to be shown that faith that I know my body. I can take it and I rise above the clouds.
Thank you for sharing some of your journey with me, it truly is appreciated and in no way taken badly or dismissed. It takes a lot to share especially in the dark, negative worlds we live in.

1 Like

I’m down

Danb76 - I like the sounds of this post. The previous one where you said you ‘might not make it’ caused some concern, mostly because I have a pretty good understanding of what you are up against. Talking with people with similar experiences is absolutely your best starting point.

Put up a training log when you can. Plenty of good folks around here who are more than willing to help out.

1 Like

Let’s do this!

This looks like a great challenge! I apologize if I missed it, but when is the anticipated start date for this challenge?

Hej Andreas ved du om der er nok i et Kit eller der skal bestilles mere undervejs? Shipping er jo så dyrt!