Metal man

World’s greatest Metal workout band? For me, Accept, hands down. For an intro to their trademark sound & the best bang for your buck check out the compilation CD of the best tracks from “Balls to the Wall” and “Restless & Wild.” It goes for about $8.99 at Tower Records. From the shredded and powerful voice of lead singer Udo Dirkshneider (sp?) to the classically inspired, cleverly arranged, and meticulously executed riffs of Wolf Hoffman, Accept puts your “Balls to the Wall.”

Check out the first track on the compilation CD “Fast as a Shark”–one of the first European speed metal tracks of the early eighties.

80s vs. 90s (and post 90’s) Chart Metal

Nirvana’s grungy replacement of the glamorized persona of late 80’s metal–with it’s over style-ized vocals and big hair–with the band’s Cobainy (but realistic) anti corporate gloom (each track a virtual mini-shrine to the inner subjective darkness and anquish of the existential human situation)was actually a breath of fresh air back then. It was almost a spiritual experience to hear an edgy music genre that was cognizant of the dark undertones of Americana. I found this uplifting after nearly a decade’s worth of the fantasmic of 80’s metal.

BUT having said that, it seems to me that all we hear now from most Metal–at least the stuff that gets air-play–is the “woe is me/I came from a dysfunctional home/daddy left me/I’m lonely, pissed and gonna kill something” kinda thing. Its now becoming pathetic and perpetuates a victim mentality.

At least one thing can be said about 80’s metal–it was (generally) positive; it (the ethos of it) caused you to believe in yourself and it made you wanna kick ass in life. It told you: “you rock.” One can go on and on about “keeping it real” (and there certainly is a time and place for this) but the steady diet of “woe is me” is self-defeating.

This is one of the reasons I have come to appreciate Rap. The hommies believe in themselves–whether their “hustlin’, bangin’, or pimpin’ ho’s and clockin do.” The black man believes in himself in his music and I have found this personally inspiring; he’s “keepin’ it real” but there’s a different fell. You don’t hear much personal victimology in Rap music today–sure there might be some victim mentals when it comes to perceived social injustice (esp. early 90’s Rap) but even this seems to be changing and rather than just piss and moan–they actually have been and are willing to do something about the situation (at least lyrically) instead of layin’ around and lamenting it.

White folks need to get back to this and quit abdicating personal responsibility. Like that line from Saliva’s track–Click Click Boom: “you won’t hear no cryin’ ass bitchin’ from me/Like there seems to be/On everybodies CD”

I want the music back that that tells me I can go into the gym and kick some ass on the Iron; that reconnects me with the greatness of white culture, history and tradition. I’m not a white supremist or anything like that (in fact my wife is a Latina); I appreciate and have love for all ethnicities and cultures–our rich ethnic and cultural diversity has (and continues to) made us a great nation. But Metal puts me in touch with something that is basic to my own culture and self-identity in a unique way. I can interpret myself through such music and draw strenght and inspiration from it. I’d like to start doing that from a more positive vantage point than what the contemporary metal scene allows for. I guess I’ll just have to keep listening to Accept, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Ozzy, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Motely-Crue, and the all the others–at least for now.

Nile, Type O Negative, Carnal Forge, Cryptopsy,old Carcass,and of course the almighty Iron Maiden. But nobody fuels my squat day like Nile. They are hands down the best and most brutal band ever. Nobody can match their technical prowess.

Number one metal band…SLAYER. Cryptopsy, Opeth, Soilent Green, Crowbar, pantera, Bathory, Vader, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Bloodlet, Snapcase, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Assuck, Asstroland, Eyehategod, Poison, Motley Crue, Cinderella, great White, Ratt, Neurosis, Nile, Entombed, Krysiun, Burnt by the Sun. All honorable mentions.

MANOWAR. “Wimps and posers, leave the hall!!”

Like i said before Testament,Pantera,Anthrax,In Flames,Sepultura

Pantera are a classic example of metal gone too far. It’s just noise and it sounds like somebody insterting a hot poker up a cats rectum for hours on end. Thats my opinion anyway and if ‘hardcore’ means being a load of untalented shit then call me softcore and I won’t give a fuck. UP THE IRONS.

I HATE YESTERDAY’S METAL. All the 80’s metal and early 90’s, they all suck. Bring me Clutch, System of a Down, Rage, Korn. They bring much more to the table.

Yeah, I hear ya Paul. I mean, I could just as easily fire up the ol’ chain saw and enjoy that about as much as a lot of the stuff that is considered “music.” I’ve been checking out different Metal genres (Black, Death, Doom, Progressive, Avante-gaurd) this week at work–on WinAmp (free Internet Radio–over 10K stations). Can’t say this Metal does much for me–but hey as they say, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” Check out BNR Metal Pages (do a google search). An online Metal Encycl.

Pantera still kicks all ass! I hope they are back together soon
Fucking heavy metal rules dude!

I don’t know why I didn’t think about them before, but has anyone out there heard of or heard any Exhorder? They are an extremely brutal thrash metal band…I wouldn’t put them up at the top of any lists, but it’s some hard shit and I wondered if anyone out there has heard them at all.

Is Exhorder still around? I thought they went the way of the Dodo in the early 90’s. Their cover of “Into the Void” was kickass.

Hell if I know…I haven’t heard anything new from them in 7 or 8 years, I just wondered if anyone else had heard them…

Per the BNR Metal Page, Exhorder broke up after two albums. Kyle Thomas (vocalist) formed the band Floodgate after the breakup. Recently (Feb), after resurrecting the band, Thomas indicated that there was not clear time-table as to the release of a new album.

Hey CJ sentenced kicks ass…(please excuse me while i kill myself) what a great song…my favorite song right now though is Everlasting and Dead moon rising

Here’s my heavy metal story.

When I was 17 I was a complete metal freak. At the time I worked for HMV [its like Virgin store in Canada] and knew an EMI representative well. He gave me tickets and a backstage pass to the Iron Maiden concert at the Montreal Forum.

The concert kicked ass, I had 5th row center tickets. Anyways, while backstage and waiting for the band to finish their post-show shower and buffet, I got totally hammered on the free beer offered in an old style coca-cola fridge. I hadnt even noticed Bruce Dickenson’s short visit. Because I was so upset [read: tanked] I located another Iron Maiden member and walked right up to him [his back in this case], grabbed a handful of hair and gave it 3 sharp tugs. He quickly turned and asked in a pissed off British accent, “Who pulled me hair?”. I stood infront of him in my drunked state and said it was me. He then cocked his arm back ala John Wayne but stopped short of hitting me when he realized I was just a drunken young punk. Instead he extended his hand and we exchanged a typical 80s metal hand shake :slight_smile: haha

Check out a new band from NJ called Guitbox. The website is www.guitbox.com and I just saw them at The Chance Theater and they are definetly the best hard rock band I have seen in awhile. While they aren’t metal there is some really heavy elements to their stuff. Also they have alot more energy about them than the current crop of bands out there. By the way at the show everyone was going nuts. The place holds about 1000 people. Not bad for a new band and their cd kicks ass.

IRON MAIDEN, old AC/DC, MOTORHEAD
NO CHROME - NO POOL - JUST IRON (MAIDEN)