T Nation

Metal Briefs

I am a raw lifter but i am considering buying some squat briefs to
1- help improve my form/hip movement
2- practice overlaid principle
3-save my currently torn adductor/high hamstring

I will not be using them all the time since I plan on lifting raw

does any have any experience of feedback on the product or even the process?

Metal briefs are good, but I wouldn’t buy briefs for some of the reasons you’re hoping they’ll help.

Gear won’t help you perfect raw technique…they’re just different ways of lifting. For me, it’s one or the other.

Gear will help you get stronger though, and that should carry over to your raw number.

Lastly gear helps saves your joints, so if your hips are bad, by all means wear them.

Which Metals are you planning to purchase?

[quote]Dominator wrote:
Metal briefs are good, but I wouldn’t buy briefs for some of the reasons you’re hoping they’ll help.

Gear won’t help you perfect raw technique…they’re just different ways of lifting. For me, it’s one or the other.

Gear will help you get stronger though, and that should carry over to your raw number.

Lastly gear helps saves your joints, so if your hips are bad, by all means wear them.

Which Metals are you planning to purchase?[/quote]

thanks for the reply, I got the viking briefs.
If i can keep squatting and get my hips/tendons to stay with it i’d be happy.
I figured the technique improvement would come mostly from building more hams and glute power which is what i hope to get out of it.
Like i mentioned i don’t plan to use one exclusively maybe only use it for top sets and “ween” myself of closer to competition day

I wear the Ace Pro briefs when I feel tore up and sore. They provide a ton of support in the groan area and hips. They force you to go very wide when squatting though. I think the technique thats needed to squat with those won’t help with raw squat.

[quote]gtpsuper24 wrote:
I wear the Ace Pro briefs when I feel tore up and sore. They provide a ton of support in the groan area and hips. They force you to go very wide when squatting though. I think the technique thats needed to squat with those won’t help with raw squat. [/quote]

because of my antropometry my raw squat is fairly wide, i hope at the very least it will build some solid hip and hamstring mass

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

[quote]gtpsuper24 wrote:
I wear the Ace Pro briefs when I feel tore up and sore. They provide a ton of support in the groan area and hips. They force you to go very wide when squatting though. I think the technique thats needed to squat with those won’t help with raw squat. [/quote]

because of my antropometry my raw squat is fairly wide, i hope at the very least it will build some solid hip and hamstring mass[/quote]

Welcome to the dark side my friend.

As I’ve come to learn, squatting with more weight on your back is an excellent way to learn how to squat more weight. Although the thought of using a piece of polyester to exercise in is a hateful thought to many raw zealots, I am glad you are able to see past that. You will quickly understand the importance of upper back & trunk strength. The briefs are not a magic bullet; you will begin to gain an appreciation for the importance of form and the ability to deal with seemingly unmanageable weights on your back.

I think you made a wise decision with the Metal Vikings. Do you have a group to train with? Many times having people around who are familiar with equipment can help you learn and spot issues with your technique.

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

[quote]gtpsuper24 wrote:

because of my antropometry my raw squat is fairly wide, i hope at the very least it will build some solid hip and hamstring mass[/quote]

Welcome to the dark side my friend.

As I’ve come to learn, squatting with more weight on your back is an excellent way to learn how to squat more weight. Although the thought of using a piece of polyester to exercise in is a hateful thought to many raw zealots, I am glad you are able to see past that. You will quickly understand the importance of upper back & trunk strength. The briefs are not a magic bullet; you will begin to gain an appreciation for the importance of form and the ability to deal with seemingly unmanageable weights on your back.

I think you made a wise decision with the Metal Vikings. Do you have a group to train with? Many times having people around who are familiar with equipment can help you learn and spot issues with your technique.[/quote]

i am training with a friend who competed for canada at the arnold’s, we get together to train every once in a while. I might get him to help me out. I am trying to get more people involved in strength sports at the gym i go to (strongman, powerlifting etc). I am looking forward to experimenting and seeing what gains i can get, plus it looks like it could be fun. You’ll never know till you try.

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:
i am training with a friend who competed for canada at the arnold’s, we get together to train every once in a while. I might get him to help me out. I am trying to get more people involved in strength sports at the gym i go to (strongman, powerlifting etc). I am looking forward to experimenting and seeing what gains i can get, plus it looks like it could be fun. You’ll never know till you try.[/quote]

I lifted at the Arnold this past weekend too so I likely lifted with him. Are you talking about Chris? I think he beat me by one place in the final standings. If that’s who you’re talking about I’d say you have a very good coach.

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:
i am training with a friend who competed for canada at the arnold’s, we get together to train every once in a while. I might get him to help me out. I am trying to get more people involved in strength sports at the gym i go to (strongman, powerlifting etc). I am looking forward to experimenting and seeing what gains i can get, plus it looks like it could be fun. You’ll never know till you try.[/quote]

I lifted at the Arnold this past weekend too so I likely lifted with him. Are you talking about Chris? I think he beat me by one place in the final standings. If that’s who you’re talking about I’d say you have a very good coach.[/quote]

nah he didn’t lift this year, 2-3 years ago. He knows everyone though. The area i’m in isn’t very popular for lifting and geared lifting has absolutely nothing going on here. My brother does weightlifting and even he is having a hard time getting good coaches etc.