Metal, anyone?

I couldn’t find a metal thread other than the Sanitarium tour thread, so I thought I’d ask; who are the metalheads here? An extreme weightlifting website has got to have at least a few people who enjoy extreme music. If so, what’s currently destroying your speakers and pissing off the neighbors?

Currently I’m listening to the new Iron Maiden and Sepultura albums, “Dance of Death” and “Roorback,” respectively. The Maiden one is incredible, period. The Sepultura is good, but could be better.

So what about it, T-maggers?

Tons of metalheads here.

I’m always listening to the basics, Pantera, MachineHead, Slayer… lately Skinlab, Spineshank and a few others.

But it’s almost always Pantera and Machinehead in my stereo.

Yup, I’m a metalhead. Lately I’ve been into trip-hop (Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead et al) but metal is my true love. I used to LOVE Maiden as a teen but I don’t care for much of the new stuff. I haven’t heard the album you mentioned. Sepultura is good…but I haven’t kept up with them…didn’t Max leave the band for Soulfly?

I like a lot of bands, but the faves are definitely Deftones, System, Rage, Tool, Anthrax, Slayer (there will NEVER be a heavier album than Reign in Blood), and a host of others. I like some of the crossover stuff between rap and metal such as the Judgment Night soundtrack too. I used to be into a lot of the obscure metal bands from the 80’s like Venom, Exodus, Raven, SOD, etc.

Monty: Yeah, Max Calavera left Sepultura a long time ago for Soulfly, which is a band I don’t particularly care for. The tribal-metal thing was cute for about an hour. Sepultura with Derrick Green is pretty damn good, I think, even if it is handicapped by the loss of Max in the popular imagination. They just need another guitarist in that band so Andreas Kisser can concentrate on the shredding he does so well. Oh well, it’s not my place to decide.

If Maiden has a new album, I’m gonna have to check it out. The last album of theirs that I have is Brave New World.

I got the new Metallica album and I’m actually pretty disappointed. The first 2 tracks I like but 90% of the rest of the album is pretty much bs (“Its my world, you can’t have it … its my world, its my world”).

If you guys want some really good metal, check out Prayer For Cleansing. One of the fucking best metal bands ever (RIP). Although they were more part of the hardcore/metal scene than the death metal scene which is probably why most metalheads don’t know about em.

Also, go to www.mp3.com, type in “Yeti” and download a couple of their songs. I haven’t heard anything about them in a long, long time so I’m assuming they broke up but their shows used to consist of lots of medieval clothing and 5 foot long medieval swords being swung around. Fucking insane.

In Flames kicks ass too. You guys all probably know about them, no explanation needed.

Not necessarily a metal band but one of the best hardcore bands I’ve ever listened to has got to be Dillinger Escape Plan. Listening to those guys do what they do just blows my mind.

Metallica-only old school Ridethe Lightning, killem all justice garage days master, killer base solo on killem
Godsmack
Tool
LinkNPark
NapalmDeath
Drowning Pool
LimpBizkit
Pantera cool when listening to fucking hostile in the gym and you start singing.Cowboys from hell good one to and walk
Korn
Systemof adown
Rage against the Machine before Cris Cornell he sux ass the rifs sound like Rage but his voice just sux… Fuck you I won’t do what you tell me. Last album they put out before they split was good with Cypress hill on it to had to kill a man was tight when Rage did it.
Lighter Side Zepplin
and Floyd good mello tunes
Blue Oyster Cult
Ozzy

Personally I thought Sepultura’s best stuff was Chaos AD. I first heard them when “Territory” was on the MTV Headbanger’s ball.

On one of my digital cable stations the other night I heard someone covering “Refuse/Resist” and it sounded almost exactly like the original. That same night they played an awesome song by Biohazard but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.

Yes…In Flames! Someone on here turned me onto them a few years back and they’re quite good as well.

Chris…I’m gonna check out the bands you mentioned. I hadn’t heard of any of them so I’ll give them a try.

Pretty much like all of the classics mentioned before.

Had my death metal phase (Deicide, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, etc.).

Actually having a PowerMetal trip (Rhapsody + Luca Turilli + Fabio Leone/Vision Divine, Manowar, Falconer, Nightwish, Labyrinth, Lost Horizon, Blind Guardian, Forgotten Tales, etc.)

Love the experimental/concept bands/cross-genre/unclassifiable bands: Linkin Park, Voivod, RATM, Raggadeath (mostly for originality), etc.

Thank the Internet for allowing people to sample (specially imports) before buying!

Iron Madien rules as far as metal goes. I also listen to Slayer, Anthrax, Judas Priest,etc. Not that many good Metal bands nowadays. 80’s was the metal era.

Dope anyone?.. :slight_smile:

For the gym:Pantera, System of a Down, Disturbed, Rage, and although I wouldnt call it metal DropKick Murphys.

Nothingface - Skeletons
Chimaira - Impossibility of Reason

These are the two best fucking albums I own. I just went to a Nothingface show about a week and a half ago, they are so amazing live.

The Haunted
Devin Townsend in his many incarnations
Maiden
Metallica (not St Anger though - sorry…!)
Pantera (R.I.P)
Disturbed
Amen
Snot
Machine Head
Queensryche - A-ight…?

etc…

Mmmm metal…I’m into alot of NU-Metal and the old stuff too. To name a few…Pantera, slipknot, mudvayne, soulfly, sevendust (old), Static-x.

You kids these days with your rock 'n roll and your Zima and your Dan Fogelberg…
Anyway, I can honestly say that very few on this board know metal more than I do. The great thing about it (much like weight-training, in fact) is that there are so many different styles within the genre. Having been a performer myself, I’ve seen the trends come and go and triumphantly return again. The shit will never die; it just takes on new forms and devours itself.
Oh yeah, and Zev loves the metal too. Where are you, Zevy-Poo?

Oh yeah, and MAD props to Monty for citing “Reign In Blood” as the heaviest album ever made! Ding ding ding! You win a prize!!! Do you remember that tour? JEE-ZUS!!!
I wanted to add a list of just a few of the favorites:
Slayer (first four albums), Metallica (first three albums), Black Sabbath, Possessed, early Exodus, Kreator, Maiden, Accept, Priest, and a myriad of others.
Of the new-school variety, I think Entombed, Killswitch Engage, High On Fire, Strapping Young Lad, Lamb Of God, and Spineshank are all worth mentioning.

Dammit! I forgot to mention the greatest metal band of all! MANOWAR!!! Haha…

Entombed
Electric Wizard
Black Sabbath (of course)
Slayer (ditto)
Iron Monkey
Crowbar
Immortal
Goatsnake
Monster Magnet
High on Fire

Since I haven’t seen these mentioned, or maybe my memory is failing… thought I’d throw 'em up.

Amon Amarth, Testament, Shadowsfall, The Haunted, At The Gates, Hatebreed(Seems to be a crowd fav.) Otep, Entombed.

Forgot about Dope. I have a CD by them from '98 I think it was… thought the band fell off the face of the earth, because I hadn’t heard anything about 'em. Then the other day I heard that song “Die Motherf*cker, Die.” I have to get that CD.

HAHA! I feel like I’ve come home. Say all you Oregon metalheads, I’m listening to Agalloch now, and they are from Portland. Ever heard them? If not, you owe it to yourself to check them out. Definitely not your typical metal band - the closest comparison is probably Opeth, if any of you guys know of them.

Anyway, I listen to a pretty wide variety of metal, so here’s what’s been burning up my ears the last week or so:

Iron Maiden, “Dance of Death” \m/
Sepultura, “Roorback”
Morbid Angel, “Gateways to Annihilation”
Agalloch, “The Mantle”
Opeth, “Blackwater Park” and “Damnation”
Anthrax, “We’ve Come For You all”
Down, “Nola” and “Down II”
Black Label Society, “Sonic Brew”
Apocalyptica, “Cult” and “Reflections”
Callenish Circle, “My Passion/Your Pain”
Dimmu Borgir, “Death Cult Armageddon”
Immortal, “Sons of Northern Darkness”