Metal ACE Brief/Suit Combo

Does anyone use the ace brief with the ace suit over it? If so, is hitting depth absurdly hard?

I’m looking to buy some new briefs and would like some opinions as I’ve already gotten some varying opinions from my workout partners. Some say it’s too much, and others are saying I’ll be fine.

Possibly relevant info:

My best squat in competition is 600 in an ace suit with an old single ply centurion suit bottoms underneath.

I squat pretty wide, and with pretty good form.

I learn gear pretty quickly.

I’ve hit depth without any trouble in inzer predators and an ace suit.

All of that said, I’m also curious about getting a custom pair of overkill briefs. If anyone’s got any experience in overkill/ace suit combo, that’d be swell, too.

Thanks in advance.

Bro how old are you? Your vids were fun to watch and inspiring because you look to be about my age.

LOL, I’m 21. Glad you enjoyed them.

whats up. If you train at ST why not ask some of the guys there? I mean, you have some great lifters who use the ace. I’m not sure if you train there, im just guessing by the vid. And personally, i use pro and pro but from what i hear as long as you can stay comfortable but tight during your descent you should be fine with ace and ace. just my opinion though, not from personal experience. great lifts, btw.

There’s probably only 2 people on these boards that have any experience with the Overkill briefs and that’s me and one other guy. One real positive about those briefs for me is that they are custom made and that you get a free alteration to them, and they are still cheaper than ACE briefs. I personally love my Overkill briefs, and everyone else at my gym that wears them loves them too. I have been seeing some of the guys at my gym putting up some really big numbers with just the Overkill briefs on.

[quote]bjjwannabe152 wrote:
whats up. If you train at ST why not ask some of the guys there? I mean, you have some great lifters who use the ace. I’m not sure if you train there, im just guessing by the vid. And personally, i use pro and pro but from what i hear as long as you can stay comfortable but tight during your descent you should be fine with ace and ace. just my opinion though, not from personal experience. great lifts, btw.[/quote]

Yeah, I train there. I already did ask some of the guys there. Some said I’ll be fine, and some said it’s too much. I’m looking for more opinions.

[quote]crashcrew56 wrote:
There’s probably only 2 people on these boards that have any experience with the Overkill briefs and that’s me and one other guy. One real positive about those briefs for me is that they are custom made and that you get a free alteration to them, and they are still cheaper than ACE briefs. I personally love my Overkill briefs, and everyone else at my gym that wears them loves them too. I have been seeing some of the guys at my gym putting up some really big numbers with just the Overkill briefs on.[/quote]

Yeah, I really like the fact that they’re custom because I was given an ace squatter that’s a little too big and will need to be altered, so it’d be sweet to have custom fitted briefs with a custom suit over it. If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay for them? If you do mind, don’t worry about it, “less than 195 bucks” works for me. hah

What suit do you and the rest of the guys at your gym use with them? Do they have trouble hitting depth in full gear with tight straps?

I’ve heard from some people VERY familiar with Metal gear (take that how you will, haha) that Ace on Ace is just too much for most lifters and to avoid the Ace briefs. I know the Viking brief/Ace suit combo comes highly recommended and I know a lot of people who absolutely love their Inzer predators. Have you looked into the double ply Boss briefs that Titan makes? I know you could get a deal on those given where you train…haha.

The Overkill gear is hardcore gear, and it is not for everyone. If the guys at your gym say that ace/ace combo is too much, then an overkill and ace combo might be too much. I don’t remember how much I paid, but it was under 195.

I use a single-ply titan suit (I do need to upgrade bad), there’s one guy that wears a frantz canvas with his overkill briefs, other than that everyone that wears overkill briefs also wears and overkill suit too. Everyone that wears the overkill gear at my gym are 800lb+ squatters, so nobody has problem hitting depth. I’m the only exception to this, but I use a single-ply suit and I havn’t been powerlifting long. I have a little trouble hitting depth during my first few warm-up sets with just the briefs on, but they are still pretty new.

Now that I have said those things, I don’t mean to turn you off from the gear. I am just giving you a warning so you know what to expect if you do get Overkill. The gear is truly awesome and if you believe you are ready for it then by all means go for it

Stronghold, I’ve heard from a few people they didn’t like the boss briefs too much. :confused:

CC, about how much weight does it take you to hit parallel in just your briefs? I’m hoping to hit a 700 squat in the next 6 months or so.

Also, I saw you commented in the ‘suits and briefs’ thread about a review that was done on the overkill briefs, but his were triple ply. Are yours triple ply? Can I get them in just double ply?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again, guys.

I wear double-ply, and I’m sure you could even get them in single ply if you wanted. I don’t know what the exact weight is to hit parrellel, but once I get up to about 300 I can hit parrellel. If you are planning on hitting 700 soon, then the briefs might not be too much.

Ive used the ace/ace for over 2 years now.

At first I had some depth problems. I did 2 things which cured any depth problems I had with the combo:

• If I was having trouble hitting depth, i put water on the legs/hips.
  • I cut the bottom seam off the ace briefs so they would fit under the suit better. With the seam still on there is very difficult to set the suit up correctly, with the seam cut off it is much better.

Sweet, thanks Cashcrew. I’ll e-mail Rudy today about it.

Frank, the whole wetting gear thing doesn’t appeal to me, as it’s hard to be consistent with that, and that would mess with my head on meet day, though. Thanks for your input, though.

Practice, train in gear year round and you will figure it out.

ace on ace is fine, I wear ace briefs for all my squat workouts

Lucky Guy getting to train at ST Gym, I am jealous :wink:

Dude, you are training at one of the best PL gyms in the country. Go by the advice of the senior lifters over there. I know there are some pretty strong guys on this board as well but don’t bite the hand that feeds. Nice total, and from what I recall, some serious gains. Congrats.

Monopoly

[quote]Captain Zero wrote:
Practice, train in gear year round and you will figure it out.

ace on ace is fine, I wear ace briefs for all my squat workouts
[/quote]

Do you wear an ace/ace combo? If so, what’s your best squat in competition?

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
Dude, you are training at one of the best PL gyms in the country. Go by the advice of the senior lifters over there. I know there are some pretty strong guys on this board as well but don’t bite the hand that feeds. Nice total, and from what I recall, some serious gains. Congrats.

Monopoly[/quote]

I’m not sure I get this post. haha. No one there is going to be butt-hurt over the fact I’m asking about a gear combo.

No one there uses ace/ace, so I was asking for advice from people who have used ace/ace.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Monopoly19 wrote:

Monopoly

I’m not sure I get this post. haha. No one there is going to be butt-hurt over the fact I’m asking about a gear combo.

No one there uses ace/ace, so I was asking for advice from people who have used ace/ace.[/quote]

Didn’t Bell use ace/ace before he went to titan? If not, why was he not using ace briefs? Hoss still uses an ace suit, what he is he wearing for breifs? It not ace, why not?

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
Didn’t Bell use ace/ace before he went to titan? If not, why was he not using ace briefs? Hoss still uses an ace suit, what he is he wearing for breifs? It not ace, why not? [/quote]

I don’t know what Mark was using before he went to Titan. That said, he was the only one who said I should be okay in ace/ace. Hoss uses a single ply suit with the straps down underneath his ace.

None of the guys there are using ace/ace at the moment (if they ever were, IDK) because it’s too much for them to hit depth. Treston Shull, a 900lb squatter uses pro briefs with an ace suit. He also told me he’s only ever known two people who’ve successfully used ace/ace.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

None of the guys there are using ace/ace at the moment (if they ever were, IDK) because it’s too much for them to hit depth. Treston Shull, a 900lb squatter uses pro briefs with an ace suit. He also told me he’s only ever known two people who’ve successfully used ace/ace.

[/quote]

This should answer your question right there. Depending on how tight the fit is of course.