T Nation

Metabolic Drive Protein Bars?

Hey guys Im a big sweet tooth guys who loves his cookies and milk before bed. Im trying to lose about 35 lbs and was wondering if these bars with a glass of milk would be ok before bed, or is it too many carbs? The bars (chocolate chunk) has 25 gm plus the 12 in milk. Is this too many for late night? Also what about breakfast where you need more cabs, would this be a better idea?

Would be a better bet to use them for breakfast, or in-between meals during the day.

At night, you need a slow protein + fat meal, which will sustain you longer throughout the night - such as cottage cheese.

BTW, these protein bars taste really good and help with cravings I found.

Well, I dont recall the exact amount of SUGAR in the bars, but from a protein standpoint, the casein in the bars would make them worthwhile before bed. I’d Nix the milk though, there’s no way around the csugar content in that.

S

I often have a Metabolic Drive bar before bed or during the night if I wake up hungry. It might go against what the food nazis preach, but I often don’t sleep as well if I don’t have a least a few carbs before bed.

If the choice is “cookies and milk” or “Metabolic Drive bar and milk,” then, well, the answer is: Make the substitution!

But if you really want to lose fat, you shouldn’t be eating carbs before bed. But you already knew this.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
I often have a Metabolic Drive bar before bed or during the night if I wake up hungry. It might go against what the food nazis preach, but I often don’t sleep as well if I don’t have a least a few carbs before bed.[/quote]

Based on your prior posts, I don’t think you have anywhere near 35 pounds of fat to lose. If you did, I’m willing to bet you wouldn’t be drinking milk and eating Metabolic Drive bars before bed.

Try a scoop of some chocolate casein powder with water, ice, a raw egg and 8oz half 'n half.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
I often have a Metabolic Drive bar before bed or during the night if I wake up hungry. It might go against what the food nazis preach, but I often don’t sleep as well if I don’t have a least a few carbs before bed.

Based on your prior posts, I don’t think you have anywhere near 35 pounds of fat to lose. If you did, I’m willing to bet you wouldn’t be drinking milk and eating Metabolic Drive bars before bed.[/quote]

As always, your right – I don’t drink milk before bed, or at any other times, but I never suggested the OP drink milk either.

I do, however, eat Metabolic Drive Bars, and other healthy carbs, prior to bed on a regular basis and have not had a problem getting leaner while doing so.

You’re also right in that I don’t have 35 excess pounds to lose, but I have lost over 15 pounds of fat while maintaining muscle mass by eating this way.

My point is, and was, that most people don’t need to get too hung up on eating sane quantities of healthy carbs in the evening. Sure, those who are carb sensitive may need to be weary, but most people can manipulate body composition just fine with carbohydrates in their pre-bed meal.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
I often have a Metabolic Drive bar before bed or during the night if I wake up hungry. It might go against what the food nazis preach, but I often don’t sleep as well if I don’t have a least a few carbs before bed.[/quote]

You know what, that would sure as hell beat walking over to the all night corner gas station in a sleeping haze 3am in the morning to grab a couple of Krispy Kreme donuts, which I was guilty of doing twice last week…wtf!?!

I’m going to grab some bars tomorrow on my next order.

I was wondering what to do to break that creeping up from time to time habit.

[quote]rsg wrote:
Would be a better bet to use them for breakfast, or in-between meals during the day.

At night, you need a slow protein + fat meal, which will sustain you longer throughout the night - such as cottage cheese.

BTW, these protein bars taste really good and help with cravings I found.[/quote]

I have tried this with some success:
Mix cottage cheese (fat free) with Cinnamon and splenda before bed and if you want the milk use fat free pop fish oil tab Chaser and your in anabolic nite nite buff sandman times…

[quote]JLS24 wrote:
Hey guys Im a big sweet tooth guys who loves his cookies and milk before bed. Im trying to lose about 35 lbs and was wondering if these bars with a glass of milk would be ok before bed, or is it too many carbs? The bars (chocolate chunk) has 25 gm plus the 12 in milk. Is this too many for late night? Also what about breakfast where you need more cabs, would this be a better idea?[/quote]

Before any dietary choices need to be made for you, you should probably resolve yourself to give up the sweet tooth rather than trying to find ways to satisfy it. You’ll never lose those 35lbs if you don’t. Or if you do, you’ll just gain it all back and then some. The best way to kill the sweet tooth permanently is to do the V-Diet, AD, GSD, or some other drastic dietary habit changing diet.

To answer your actual question- yes it is too many carbs before bed during a fat loss phase. Like 100% too many.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
To answer your actual question- yes it is too many carbs before bed during a fat loss phase. Like 100% too many.[/quote]

I knew we’d have a food nazi show up.

People have been losing fat long before it ever occurred to anyone to restrict carbohydrates in the evening.

Sure, there are those carb sensitive types who have trouble dropping fat unless they take more drastic measures, but they’re not the majority.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
To answer your actual question- yes it is too many carbs before bed during a fat loss phase. Like 100% too many.

I knew we’d have a food nazi show up.[/quote]

Food nazi? Most posts I’ve ever read from you show a lack of maturity and intelligence. This one is not an exception.

People also shoveled their snow by hand long before snowblowers came around- is that a reason not to buy one? Are you viewing this site on an Apple IIe also?

Just because something works for you doesn’t mean it will work for the majority. Reducing carbs in the evenings has been proven to work best for the majority, regardless of carb sensitivity. I never said it’s the only way.

But there are good, better, and best ways to do everything. Why ever bother with just good or better when it comes to anything if there is a best option?

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
I knew we’d have a food nazi show up.

People have been losing fat long before it ever occurred to anyone to restrict carbohydrates in the evening. [/quote]

I agree with what you wrote here and in your other post. But “milk and cookies” man is fat. People like milk and cookies man do not lose fat and have no been losing fat.

It’s true that when he has his diet in order, he can have carbs before bed. But when your nickname is “milk and cookies,” you probably shouldn’t be eating carbs before bed.

It sounds like he needs behavioral modification, in which case the V-Diet might be helpful.